Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM

80 posts, read 375,699 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I've posted many times before in many different forums. We are on a never-ending quest to settle down and buy a house, and we have explored many areas of the country.

I am SOLD on Baxter Village in Fort Mill and I'm looking for a realtor. I know there are realtors on this site, please PM me!

Also, if any of you have a good website for home searches that is easy to use and can filter for Baxter Village with good pictures, please post!

Timing is our only hitch....I am ready to move now, but husband is not. I have faith that we will make it there eventually though (within the next 1-2 years). Right now we live in Southern California. It is absolutely beautiful here, but too far away from family now that we have a child.

Looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom, garage not on the front of the house, one-story or two-story, in the $300 - $400k range. Do any of the Baxter homes have basements? I would love a basement. We have a 2 year old and 2 little dogs, so I need a yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM

182 posts, read 332,028 times
Moderator cut: no realtor links)
If you have 6 months, I highley suggest building. We'd thought we would never buy new but ended up buying (well, we close on Thurdsay) a Spec home from David Weekly. We were only able to pick out the final details, but still it is nice to have the things you pick. Also, prices are holding up in Baxter especially for resale. I think we got a better deal buying new, contrary to norm.

A few homes have basemments. Revival Rd in the new section has some basement lots. The way the lots work though, if you want a basement, you will likely have a garage on the front.

Good luck.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-21-2010 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM

We definitely have more than 6 months. What is a Spec home? Is that like a model? What things can you pick? In the planned communities around here, all you can pick is the flooring (hardwood, tile, or carpet) and the countertops (granite or not) - everything else is standard and you have to upgrade it on your own. Can you pick the fixtures, baseboards, molding, etc. in the Baxter homes? Do you have to do the landscaping yourself if you build? I know this can add $10,000+ to the cost of the home.

I am not dead-set on a basement but it would be really nice. Are any of the yards enclosed (for the dogs)? Good luck with your closing!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
A spec home is one the buildr starts w/o having a buyer in hand, a speculation that he will be able to sell it. I personally didn't like Baxter Vlg b/c of the very small yards.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM

I really like the school district for Baxter, and that is a top priority for me. I don't want to pay for private schools, so I'm looking for the best public school district I can afford.

The Allen Tate website is great - thanks! Sutton Place seems to have bigger yards, but I guess with Baxter the idea is to use the community space and make it more of a 'public' yard type of area.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:47 PM

They will have floorplans you can choose and the sky is the limit. Of course you will have to pay for that.

A Spec home is a home the builder built on Speculation that he can sell it. We made an offer a month ago when the home was about 4-6 weeks from completion. We have been able to upgrade our shower, carpet, backslash, enlarge our deck, add fence, add a gas stove, add addtional crown modeling, and add full irragation. We could have changed our hardwood colors, hardware choices and some other things. If we'd been a week or two sooner, we could have changed our granite color and paint colors (something we really wanted, oh well). Our builder allowed us to this on a Spec home--our realtor said this isn't common. If you build from scratch, you can choose everything. Landscaping will be part of what you build. You won't have to do anything but choose what you want to have in your house--the builder does all the work.

Fences are allowed.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM

850 posts, read 2,652,083 times
We have lived in Bax for a while now and love it. Good luck on your choice. A basement will cost you a pretty penny, I think there is a basement home on the market around $450K or so.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info on basements -- I thought California was the only place that didn't have them! I guess I can survive without a basement, maybe a 3 car garage could be used for storage. Or maybe there would be an attic? We have accumulated a ton of baby/kid stuff from our 2 year old and I think it's only going to get worse....right now we have an extra bedroom for a playroom but if we have another then we won't have space for all the toys.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Most newer homes with attached garages will have a bonus room that is above the garage and it is commonly used a room just for the kids. In our case, our garage is detached, but we still have a "children's retreat" on the second floor.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

29 posts, read 87,000 times
I have discovered a great website that isolates by subdivison. It's the Carolina Realty Solutions website (carolinarealtysolutions.com) and you can pick your area, then subdivision(s). Love it! Just make sure you click the option that shows all listings, not just theirs. The small yards are definitely part of the point. Once you actually live here, you start to get it. We moved from the anti-thesis of Baxter in a small town in TN--huge old house, huge lot--and it was the best thing we ever did! Kids adore it. Lots of parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties