Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,766 times

Advertisements

I was just talking to my neighbor at the house we're packing up in Charlotte, and she said she takes her son down to the Tega Cay Beach Center all the time and they swim across the lake to a rope swing that swings them out over the lake. Sounds like a blast! Has anyone ever used that? I've never seen anyone swimming in the lake, but then we've been pretty darn busy packing since it got to be swimming weather!

That said, we're heading off to the pool right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
All of the schools in Fort Mill are the best in the Charlotte area. While there are a few individual schools in Charlotte-Meck that are great, it can't be doing them any favors that the rest of the school district is falling apart. so even if you move into an area of fort mill that does have an enrollment freeze, the school will still be great. Also as someone else has mentioned, seats did open up. My neighbor who has a second grader that had to go to Riverview this year, will be going to Orchard park next year.

It takes less time for me to get to Ballentyne, Uptown Charlotte, Ayersley area, etc. than it does for many people that actually live in charlotte.

Taxes are lower, gas is cheaper (on average by about $.20) and at least in York County, the roads are better and the public services are much better than in Mecklenburg county.

And yes, you can swim in Lake Wylie. It is not crystal clear Caribbean type waters but my son went swimming in the lake just yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
I was just talking to my neighbor at the house we're packing up in Charlotte, and she said she takes her son down to the Tega Cay Beach Center all the time and they swim across the lake to a rope swing that swings them out over the lake. Sounds like a blast! Has anyone ever used that? I've never seen anyone swimming in the lake, but then we've been pretty darn busy packing since it got to be swimming weather!

That said, we're heading off to the pool right now!
We were on (and in) the lake (Lake Wylie) on Sunday (the water is still a tad chilly...yet with this warm weather we are having now...its not going to take long for that to change). There has been a big rope swing off the side of the lake (if you are at the beach club it will be off to your right). In the past we will watch kids in amazement as they climb high up in the big old tree and jump off the branches into the lake...and/or swing on the rope off into the lake. The only thing is I didn't look to see if it was still there the other day. I will tell you what I did notice...were alot of folks receiving parking tickets (where we lauch the boat). All the people that did not have their Tega Cay parking sticker on their window had a nice little surprise waiting for them when they came back. The other thing I noticed....the boat ramp (Nivens) off of Dam Road was closed. Apparently late Thursday night someone ran their boat into the ramp with such force it is now considered unsafe and will need to be repaired....prior to anyone using it (can't even tell you how many folks on Memorial weekend were all loaded up and ready to lauch their boat only to find out they were not able to).

Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM

That's awful about the boat ramp! And what timing, right before the holiday weekend. We head down to the ramp on the other side off New Gray Rock, on the river. Just to hang out and look at the dam. I'm dying to take the dog down there. With the current drought you can probably walk all the way across the river and there is no risk that they'll open the floodgates while we're there so it's safe!

Where do you get a TC parking permit? I wonder if we could get one since we have land and part of a house.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
That's awful about the boat ramp! And what timing, right before the holiday weekend. We head down to the ramp on the other side off New Gray Rock, on the river. Just to hang out and look at the dam. I'm dying to take the dog down there. With the current drought you can probably walk all the way across the river and there is no risk that they'll open the floodgates while we're there so it's safe!

Where do you get a TC parking permit? I wonder if we could get one since we have land and part of a house.
For a Tega Cay parking permit you need to contact Billie Taylor at the Beach & Swim Center at 803-548-3787. Just an FYI though...you need to show your vehicle registration (with of course a Tega Cay address) to obtain one (they provide you with 2 for free...after that I think they are $5 each).

Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 PM

I guess we're out of luck for now, then. Our vehicle registration (if it ever comes) has this apartment address.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Like using $265 million in taxpayer money for a basketball arena and paying police officers 9% below the national average and not hiring enough of them. Also, refusing to pay any money for street lights downtown and things like that. No one in their right mind would say CMS is as good as Fort Mill school district. I lived in CM for 6 years and now live in York County. It's a no-brainer really.
Gotta say I agree with you 100%. I still can't believe the deal about street lights. I'm getting out of NC, and moving to York County as well. The real estate taxes, less traffic, cheaper gas, all spoke volumes to me. I'd choose York County SC, over the Charlotte metro area in a heartbeat.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 PM

80 posts, read 345,466 times
OK, we are moving to the area and I have checked out all the tax issues. The millage rate is higher in Fort Mill than in Mecklenberg County! It is .01277in Charlotte, and .343X.04 in Fort Mill - that is .01372. What am I missing?

I believe Tega Cay and Fort Wylie have slightly higher millage rates than Fort Mill if memory serves. You can download the information online. Also, Providence HS in Meck County is an excellent school! Presumably Ardrey Kell as well, but it's new so no data yet. I have scoured all the school data for both areas. And I just read that there were auto break-ins in Baxter Village when I did a search online. So there can be crime anywhere, and it doesn't mean it's a bad area.

That being said, we are moving to Fort Mill. I don't want to deal with the redistricting that goes on in Charlotte. But let's be fair please!

Well, I'm not even a resident yet and I'm already making waves - but that's just me I guess.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerMom811 View Post
OK, we are moving to the area and I have checked out all the tax issues. The millage rate is higher in Fort Mill than in Mecklenberg County! It is .01277in Charlotte, and .343X.04 in Fort Mill - that is .01372. What am I missing?

I believe Tega Cay and Fort Wylie have slightly higher millage rates than Fort Mill if memory serves. You can download the information online. Also, Providence HS in Meck County is an excellent school! Presumably Ardrey Kell as well, but it's new so no data yet. I have scoured all the school data for both areas. And I just read that there were auto break-ins in Baxter Village when I did a search online. So there can be crime anywhere, and it doesn't mean it's a bad area.

That being said, we are moving to Fort Mill. I don't want to deal with the redistricting that goes on in Charlotte. But let's be fair please!

Well, I'm not even a resident yet and I'm already making waves - but that's just me I guess.
I always appreciate someone who will encourage a balanced view of CMS! There are some wonderful schools in the system. But, like you, were put off by the possibility of repeated reassignments - that was part of the reason we moved to SC.

On the tax issue you aren't considering both the city and county components of property tax. Fort Mill/York is cheaper than Charlotte/Mecklenburg. However, Tega Cay/York is only slightly cheaper than Charlotte/Mecklenburg.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 32,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
PLEASE take my advice: DO NOT under any circumstances buy ANY home in Charlotte or Mecklenburg County. You will thank me later. Concord, Union County, Fort Mill, but NOT Charlotte. Fort Mill is a great area, and if you have children, the schools are top notch (some schools do have an enrollment freeze, but it doesn't apply if your kids are starting in kindergarten). Stay out of Winget Pond and the SW Charlotte area. TOO MUCH crime and the property taxes keep going up (they are already high). Check Crime in Charlotte, NC for more info. Charlotte schools are a mess all the way around. Do you really want to pay exorbitant taxes for a sub-par school system where kids bring guns to school even in elementary school? There isn't too much recreation to do at any of the lakes around here unless you have a boat and live on them.
I think groove1 is going a little overboard about Charlotte crime and the schools. I've lived in Charlotte sine 1987 and have had virtually no experience with crime. My car was broken into once, but that's it in the 20 years I have lived here. If you read watch the news or read the papaers you would probably think people are getting carjacked left and right, but in reality, Charlotte is like most cities. There are places you avoid; and if you stay away from those places, odds are you have nothing to worry about. Anyway, south Charlotte is where you want to be. That's where the best schools, neighborhoods, amenities are. You want to try to stay between South Blvd / Hwy 521 on the west side, and Independance Blvd/ Hwy 74 on the east side. Ballantyne area is great, and the entire Providence Rd corridor. Of course it all depends on your budget.

Not all the Charlotte schools are good, but south charlotte has most of the best ones. You want to try to be in the elementary attendance zones for Providence Spring, Hawk Ridge, Mckee Rd, or Elizabeth Lane if possible. There are other good ones but these are the best.

Personally, I'm moving to Fort Mill because I can afford a little more house there, they have great schools, and we have family there (to help with the kids). But I will miss being right in Charlotte - so close to everything, and really a very beautiful city.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Well, there were three armed robberies and a break-in during a 4 week span where I was at in Charlotte and the area was really not considered bad. Not to mention my car being broken into approximately a year before.The police don't too much about any of it. Robberies happen anywhere in Charlotte. They happen in yuppy places like Ballantyne because criminals know there is money there and there are easy escape routes. And Fort Mill is definitely still close to Charlotte and a suburb of it. It's not that far away as they share a border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties