Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times

Advertisements

I was browsing through another website and noticed they had a forum for "Recommended/not recommended". The posters used this forum to review products or services they have used such as fast food chains, cleaning supplies etc.

I thought it was a really great idea. I think as long as the threads aren't trying to get you to buy the product like spammers do, then it's fine. I think it would be great because C-D users could get a review of a service or item they are thinking of purchasing.

I would like to see some good responses to this idea.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
I vote against the idea. Sorry.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:10 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
Personally I think it is a great idea. There would have to be something in place to prevent spamming and that may be something that would be difficult to do since spammers can pretty much weasle into any space. I know that there are many web sites one can go to to in order to read customer reviews but one on CDF would personalize a review. A review/recommendation from a fellow poster/friend might mean more and carry more weight than a random review from a products website. I know that on some threads some of our posters mention a product that they use or have used but a separate thread or sub forum would eliminate the need to do an endless search for the same information. This is just my own little opinion though.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
I suspect the drawback to that feature would be when members start asking for the reasons behind why some business got negative recommendations. Those reasons are often emotionally charged and irrational. As it says in the TOS, these forums are not the right place for consumer complaints. Best not to go there at all.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I suspect the drawback to that feature would be when members start asking for the reasons behind why some business got negative recommendations. Those reasons are often emotionally charged and irrational. As it says in the TOS, these forums are not the right place for consumer complaints. Best not to go there at all.
As usual Bowie you are right I hadn't thought of the above reasons..silly me I thought we could all be rationalIt could morph into something out of control but it was a good idea.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I was browsing through another website and noticed they had a forum for "Recommended/not recommended". The posters used this forum to review products or services they have used such as fast food chains, cleaning supplies etc.

I thought it was a really great idea. I think as long as the threads aren't trying to get you to buy the product like spammers do, then it's fine. I think it would be great because C-D users could get a review of a service or item they are thinking of purchasing.

I would like to see some good responses to this idea.

Thanks
There are some discussions on a variety of products on the Shopping/Consumer Products Forum and the Science/Technology Forum. I have found both to be very helpful before making a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum