Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Could we possibly get a sub-forum specifically for internet-harvested videos? There are some really fun videos of cats, and they're obviously of interest to people - but sometimes the "list of threads" looks like wall-to-wall brand new threads of JUST videos that are linked from the internet. The actual *information* about cats, and questions about cats, and concerns about cats, gets lost among the individual threads that are dedicated to videos - usually over 10 per day.

They did that with the "click here to feed a cat" thread - instead of a new thread every day, they made just one thread, and bump it daily.

I think all the linked videos could easily be put in its own subdirectory. I'd suggest just one thread that gets added to, however many people allow their browsers to play everything upon loadup and this could maybe crash someone's computer if they try to click on a link to a single thread filled with video links.

I'm also asking only about harvested videos, to distinguish them from videos taken and uploaded by our actual City-Data members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I think all the linked videos could easily be put in its own subdirectory.
Wouldnt YouTube work just as well if you want to see videos of cats?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt YouTube work just as well if you want to see videos of cats?
Of course it would. But if people weren't allowed to ever post videos they harvested from youtube (or other websites), CD would have thousands fewer posts every week. I don't think limiting links to website content would serve the admin of CD. But limiting -where- those links are allowed to be posted would certainly benefit the members - which in turn benefits the admin.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I think what AnonChick is really saying is that there are a couple of frequent posters who daily pollute threads with "harvested" cute youtube videos and other inane crap.

This is really a turn-off and I have those folks on ignore, because their content is your average cutesy pablum that gets spewed everywhere, which is a shame because it drives people like me away from threads I would otherwise enjoy viewing and participating in. I never click on these poster's links, even if I see them.

Moderator cut: personal attacks

Last edited by Marka; 03-03-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Well - in a more polite way, yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I meant . I wouldn't use the "report" feature to report them, because they're not breaking any rules. Creating new threads for each video, resulting in 5 or 6 new threads, each containing nothing but a video and a "omg how cute" comment, is allowed.

I'm saying - if it's going to be allowed, why not put them in their own category? That way, people who WANT to see all kinds of videos of animals belonging to people who aren't CD members - can do so in one nice neat tidy spot. And everyone else can continue on as usual, without having to put anyone on ignore.

I don't have either of those people on ignore because one of them posts (without videos) in threads that I read, and I enjoy their posts. Another occasionally posts things that aren't links to topics, which I also sometimes read, and enjoy reading.

Taken in the context of that pet forum though, it comes across as just spam. If I were to post a thread with a video of someone using an essential oil - and then post a new thread with a video of someone using a different essential oil, and then post another new thread with another video of someone else using the same essential oil as the one in the second thread - and so on and so forth - in the alt-med forum, I'd probably get banned before I submitted the third video.

In fact - if I posted a video of someone feeding their cat Purina Cat Chow in one thread - and a video of someone extolling the virtues of Meow Mix in a second thread, and a video touting the benefits of Kozy Kat Kibble in a third thread - you can bet there'd be at least a dozen "reports" against me for vomiting garbage all over that Cat forum.

So - it's not the content that I object to or take issue with. It's the fact that it's unnecessary to have a new thread for each video and not only just unnecessary, it detracts from the previously useful nature of the forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
That doesn't need a new, separate subforum. That just needs a merged thread.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That doesn't need a new, separate subforum. That just needs a merged thread.
Eh - more like a few hundred merged threads. This is one person posting a new thread for each video, and posting several videos each day that they post (which isn't every day but it's enough to overwhelm the list of threads).

Old 02-23-2014, 03:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
One thread can hold a lot of posts. If the ones posting the videos would use it, that would be a solution, for now, and the pages wouldn't be clogged with new threads.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Eh - more like a few hundred merged threads. This is one person posting a new thread for each video, and posting several videos each day that they post (which isn't every day but it's enough to overwhelm the list of threads).
For real ; this is one person posting email-forwards 24/7 and polluting CD with inane crap and we all know who she is.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-25-2014 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: take it to the moderator; no busting on members in forum

Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
One thread can hold a lot of posts. If the ones posting the videos would use it, that would be a solution, for now, and the pages wouldn't be clogged with new threads.
Well that's up to the staff of CD. Like I said, it's currently not against the rules for her to offer links to other websites as long as they're not other forums. If the staff feels that it's a) a problem and b) the solution would be to ask posters to condense all non-member videos to a single thread and c) is willing to condense the previous ones - then yes that'd be a good solution at least for now.

But if the staff is going to have to make a new thread, and merge a bunch of threads into one single thread, wouldn't it be the same effort to just make a category for Cat Videos? I mean, we are talking HUNDREDS of cat videos posted by members - primarly one member but she's not the only one.

Anyway, I posted it in the Admin Zone, because it's something only the staff can implement. Including a blurb in the Pet Forum sub-TOS saying "If you want to post a video link to another website, please use the Pet/Cat/Dog/Whatever Video forum."

Or something to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum