Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM

14,571 posts, read 20,857,260 times

Advertisements

There is a link at the bottom of each e-mail notification that allows me to unsubscribe from a thread.

"Unsubscription information:
To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:"
----------------------------------------------------
Even if I have already logged out.
How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,199,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There is a link at the bottom of each e-mail notification that allows me to unsubscribe from a thread.

"Unsubscription information:
To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:"
----------------------------------------------------
Even if I have already logged out.
How?
When you click on the link you are redirected back to here and will be asked your passcode unless you have it saved in your computer. In other words you will have to log back on.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When you click on the link you are redirected back to here and will be asked your passcode unless you have it saved in your computer. In other words you will have to log back on.
If Windows is saving the password, they did not get the instructions from me.

I was not logged in to CD when the e-mail arrived with the notification that you had made a comment. I clicked on the unsubscribe link and I was told that I was unsubscribed and would be redirected. I was redirected to a page where I was shown not to be logged in.
I had to login to come make this comment. I've been able to unsubscribe without being logged in, for as far back as I can remember. Give it a test. Before logging in, say tomorrow, go to your e-mail program inbox to a message you have kept and click on the unsubscribe link. I've done this action about 4 times already today, after logging out. I post on a thread, log out and then here comes a notification. It's an opinion thread about the election, so I want to unsubscribe and just click on the link and it's done. And I had already logged out.

I'm going to manually log out now. If you or anyone comments here, I'll get the notification and be able to unsubscribe.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I was not logged in to CD when the e-mail arrived with the notification that you had made a comment. I clicked on the unsubscribe link and I was told that I was unsubscribed and would be redirected. I was redirected to a page where I was shown not to be logged in.
I had to login to come make this comment. I've been able to unsubscribe without being logged in, for as far back as I can remember. Give it a test. Before logging in, say tomorrow, go to your e-mail program inbox to a message you have kept and click on the unsubscribe link. I've done this action about 4 times already today, after logging out. I post on a thread, log out and then here comes a notification. It's an opinion thread about the election, so I want to unsubscribe and just click on the link and it's done. And I had already logged out.

I'm going to manually log out now. If you or anyone comments here, I'll get the notification and be able to unsubscribe.
Currently I do not get email notification for new posts, I'll activate the email notification for new posts and see what happens. Then I'll log out and see if I get notification about any new posts and see if I can see what is happening.

Check back here in about 30 minutes.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,994,259 times
Quote:
At some point windows asks if you "do you want windows to remember this password" when you first register at many sites, if you say yes, it saves your password. Firefox allows you to see them and delete them as desired, I'm sure other browser software does...

Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Currently I do not get email notification for new posts, I'll activate the email notification for new posts and see what happens. Then I'll log out and see if I get notification about any new posts and see if I can see what is happening.

Check back here in about 30 minutes.
Well this may take longer than I thought. Nobody has replied to any of the threads I am subscribed to

I just realized I may have misunderstood your question.

Are you asking why you can Unsubscribe from a thread through the email without out being logged in?

or are you Asking

"why do you get the email notification when you are not logged in?"

That is easy to explain, your personal preferences are independent of being logged in or not logged in. When a new post is made on one of your subscribed threads the email is automatically generated it is not dependent on being logged on. it is a separate program from the forums. think of it as a robot mail man, he is going to to deliver your mail, even if you are not home.

I am on several boards and because i was over loaded with email notifications I ended up disabling the email Notifications on all of them. The only ones I have allowed are the notifications of reported posts. Here and on the other sites I am either a mod or admin on. I get those notifications even when I am not logged on.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Well this may take longer than I thought. Nobody has replied to any of the threads I am subscribed to

I just realized I may have misunderstood your question.

1. Are you asking why you can Unsubscribe from a thread through the email without out being logged in?

or are you Asking

2. "why do you get the email notification when you are not logged in?"

That is easy to explain, your personal preferences are independent of being logged in or not logged in. When a new post is made on one of your subscribed threads the email is automatically generated it is not dependent on being logged on. it is a separate program from the forums. think of it as a robot mail man, he is going to to deliver your mail, even if you are not home.

I am on several boards and because i was over loaded with email notifications I ended up disabling the email Notifications on all of them. The only ones I have allowed are the notifications of reported posts. Here and on the other sites I am either a mod or admin on.
1. above.
I logged out of CD. I went outside the house for about 30 minutes. I come back and I have been sent a notification that Poncho_NM had made a comment. I got the e-mail notification because CD has my e-mail address. And because at the bottom of this page, under "Notification Type" I had selected "Instant e-mail notification."
That is why I get the notifications, I'm subscribed to them and CD has my e-mail address.

I'm not clear why that lets me un-subscribe without having to log back in. If it did, it means CD needs me to login to unsubcribe, but I am logged out of CD. So, Windows uses my saved password to log me in to CD, unsubscribe me from the thread and logs me out of CD without my seeing it or knowing it.

I'd thought CD would not recognize my password until I manually type it into the box.

I'm now going to log out and when someone replies to this thread, I'll get notified and I can unsubscribe though I had just logged out.

Also when I am logged out, I can not see this administrative forum, only when logged in, can I come to this specifc forum or post on any forum or check direct messages, etc. but I can unsubscribe.

Last edited by howard555; 11-05-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
1. above.
I logged out of CD. I went outside the house for about 30 minutes. I come back and I have been sent a notification that Poncho_NM had made a comment. I got the e-mail notification because CD has my e-mail address. And because at the bottom of this page, under "Notification Type" I had selected "Instant e-mail notification."
That is why I get the notifications, I'm subscribed to them and CD has my e-mail address.

I'm not clear why that lets me un-subscribe without having to log back in. If it did, it means CD needs me to login to unsubcribe, but I am logged out of CD. So, Windows uses my saved password to log me in to CD, unsubscribe me from the thread and logs me out of CD without my seeing it or knowing it.

I'd thought CD would not recognize my password until I manually type it into the box.

I'm now going to log out and when someone replies to this thread, I'll get notified and I can unsubscribe though I had just logged out.

Also when I am logged out, I can not see this administrative forum, only when logged in, can I come to this specifc forum or post on any forum or check direct messages, etc. but I can unsubscribe.
Since I see you are speaking about windows I am assuming you are using Internet explorer for your browser. with IE I do not think you can actually log out of anything completely unless you clear your cookie cache and browser history after logging out.

For some reason I am still not getting any email notifications of new posts from here. I activated the instant email notifications for new posts but I am not getting them. that may be be the spam filter on my email program blocking them. I'll have to check further. Into that.

But in your case it seems that your browser is saving your log in info and automatically acting on your behalf. try clearing your cookie cache and browsing history and see if that makes a difference.

You might try another browser and see if that makes a difference.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM

I think i have just found a good analogy that may explain better.

a few minutes ago I went to log into my Paypal account. Turned out I had forgotten My password. I clicked the link forgot password. Got an instant email with a link to reset my password. I was not logged in, still got email, Was not logged in and the link sent me to a page that allowed me to change my password. all this time I was not logged into Paypal

Same difference. even not logged in the link can send you to a page to unsubscribe.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,994,259 times
Quote:
I think i have just found a good analogy that may explain better.

a few minutes ago I went to log into my Paypal account. Turned out I had forgotten My password. I clicked the link forgot password. Got an instant email with a link to reset my password. I was not logged in, still got email, Was not logged in and the link sent me to a page that allowed me to change my password. all this time I was not logged into Paypal

Same difference. even not logged in the link can send you to a page to unsubscribe.
That process is actually different. You are having password reset. Your original password is not passed to any system. You give a valid email address that you were registered under, they reset your password and send that new reset password to the valid email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum