Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times

Advertisements

After bumbling around for a long time with the Subscribed Forums link on the blue bar at the top,
and the Subscribed Forums link on my Control Panel,
and the page that link opens with all the check boxes,
and the Subscribed Forums Preview linked at the top of that page... I'm still unclear what the feature is supposed to do or how to use it. And the only thread in the FAQ section on the topic is not helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/7...ibe-forum.html

So, what's this feature meant to be used for, and how does it work?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,470,643 times
Quote:
So, what's this feature meant to be used for, and how does it work?
I read several forums (Retirement, Personal Finance, Arizona, etc) consistently. I went to the "page with all the check boxes" and checked the ones I read.

Now when I sign in, I click on Subscribed Forums on the top blue bar and it takes me to a page that lists every un-read thread in those forums.

If I grow bored with a Forum, I go back to the "page with all the check boxes" and uncheck that Forum.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,626,061 times
Default Favorites List?

So are subscribed forums like a favorites list? From what I'm reading, you can select forums to subscribe to then read the unread threads in that forum if you subscribe to it--kind of like weeding out all the forums you don't want to read.

I just tried this and the "Subscribed Forums" list is a jumbled mess of a bunch of unread threads in forums I like. What I was hoping for was way to subscribe to a forum, not a bunch of threads from various forums. Kind of like just hiding the forums I don't want to read and seeing those I want to read in the same format as the main forum pages. Once I click on the name of a subscribed forum THEN I'd want to see all the threads in it. Rather than a pages of unread threads.

Do you know what I'm trying to describe?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Subscribe to a forum, when you click on Subscribed Forums you will see all the forums you subscribed to, in order of new posts, click on and you can read new posts in that thread...

Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,280,656 times
Another option is just going to My Settings where you don't see threads jumbled from all of your forums but see the main forums like you do on the main page - with just the latest thread visible and the forum marked orange if there are new posts.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,626,061 times
I guess I didn't describe what I was wanting.

Thanks for trying to help me. I guess this place isn't organized like my brain works.

I want to view the new posts by FORUM first not by thread or post. So a view just like the main forum page but only showing the forums I want to see. After seeing the name of the forum, then I'd want to see the sub forums (if any) I've marked as my favorites, then from there, I'd want to see threads and then new posts within those threads.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,788,637 times
I understand what you're wanting to see, and as far as I know, that's just not possible.

I've settled with the scenario Marka described, and I have my options set to
automatically subscribe to any thread in which I make a comment.

After reading any new comments in a particular thread, it's easy enough to Page Up
to the top of the screen and click to see the entire forum. One has to do a few clicks,
but it works well enough, at least for me.

I don't click on the Subscribed Fora button: it hurts my brain to see them all mixed up with one another..

Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 AM

16,167 posts, read 7,138,528 times
Default Unsubscribe from a forum

If you subscribed to a forum and decide you no longer want to read any posts or participate in that forum, what do you do? How do you unsubscribe?
Can you block a forum from appearing on your settings like the way you can block a poster?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,644,380 times
Go to settings / subscribed forums, uncheck the box next to the forum, go to the bottom and save.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 AM

16,167 posts, read 7,138,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Go to settings / subscribed forums, uncheck the box next to the forum, go to the bottom and save.
There is no such thing. There no box next to the forum and there is nothing to save. Maybe it worked like that once.

I even went to the very forum I don't wish to see again and pulled down the forum tools menu. you can subscribe but no option to unsubscribe.

Last edited by cb2008; 08-29-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum