Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times

Advertisements

That call was made within 24 hours of her going to Nebraska. The most recent court hearing (this week), it was made clear that the child is now thriving - Student of the Month at her new school and involved in activities.

He's been found to be a fit parent. Whether we agree with 100% of his parenting choices or not, that's what matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
The child was repulsed by the condition of the house. I heard a tape of her crying on the phone to her parents that the house was dirty, smelled bad, stunk of mold and cigarets.

She said the house was "full of cigarets".

The child sounded very upset and repulsed by the condition of the home. I was trying ti figure out what she could mean by "full of cigarets". That was what I came up with.
To a child who wasn't around cigarettes, I'm sure it wouldn't take many to think a house was full of them. Just one cigarette grosses most nonsmokers out. An ashtray in every room with a few butts in each of them could qualify as "a house full of cigarettes."

That crying was many months ago within a day of her moving. She's not crying anymore. Let's also remember that her phone call to the "adoptive parents" was possible because her biological family allowed her to talk to them. The "adoptive family" didn't care enough about her feelings to allow her to talk to her biological family when they first took her from her father.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
The child has moved on, adjusted, and doing well. Now it's time for everybody else to do the same.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
It's obvious this case has brought to the surface many strong emotions--on both sides. I see valid arguments on both sides. But most of what I see is a little girl who has been yanked around by selfish people who disregard the law - on both sides- and are unwilling to be flexible or consider what is truly best for the child. If it goes to the Supreme Court she will have reached her teenage years and any more moves and turmoil will surely cause irreparable pain.

Imagine how this little girl regards the adult world. Bickering, digging in. name calling and accusations flying. Imagine how she will feel when she researches her name on the internet if she hasn't already. Imagine how she has lost all faith in authority figures by now. She is being told god knows what by both sides. I really do mourn for the lost innocence of this little girl. I hope we don't read about her getting in trouble with the law herself in the future. Everybody involved as spit in the face of the law and will probably continue to do so.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:23 PM

393 posts, read 598,938 times
About the condition of the home and the cigarettes...at the time of the call...

If the foster parents only had 3 hours notice, then the father must have also only had 3 hours notice and would be in a different state than his home...so a phone call that happened the very next day about the condition of the home - is really not indicative of what it might be now with a child there...many bachelors who live alone have been known to be really sloppy housekeepers, especially if you work and attend court cases as well...

Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Actually, they are the same thing. Have you personally attempted to adopt a child after being convicted of a felony?

I'm not sure if he had to pass any sort of home study - he "passed a DNA test". That seems to be the only thing anyone cares about here.

He's a factory worker? Really? A factory worker who occasionally supplements his income by gun running.

Perhaps he should try laying drywall next time.
I don't think some posters realize that the birth parent does not have to undergo the same home study as adoptive parents. He would not have passed one. I think he should have been made to complete one because of his prison sentence. Had he had one, the cigarette smoking and condition of the home would have been cause for him to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
anything can happen in a court of law. if the lawyer can convince the judge that the parents are worse than the excon father then off the kid goes to the excon. many a child has lost his life being sent back to a violent home bek they were his biological parents and had rights as mothers and fathers.
their jail time for the murder will not help that dead kid.
the sky is cryin.
Yup.

ETA: Earlier I stated the adopted girl's name as Grace...it's not. Don't know where I got that from ; Perhaps a news story? Anyway, her name is Sonya. Apparently last Friday was another court date. Sometime this week this situation should be resolved.

I'm not convinced she's completely settled in with her father. Children can be quite resilient, however, the majority of her life has been with one family. She will never forget them. She may silently never forgive her father either. As much as people believe she can be happy with him, the drastic change in lifestyle will not make her transition smooth. There is no way he can provide for her as the only parents she's known has. Not likely to happen. She immediately understood that his home was subpar, for a nine-year-old that's pretty significant.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
I think you are making a huge assumption that the father's home would not pass a home study. Where are the facts to back that up?

This is a recent article from a Nebraska newspaper: click here

According to the article, "Sonya is still in the custody of the Tennessee Department of Children's Services. Department spokesman Rob Johnson said Sonya's placement with John McCaul is the equivalent of a trial home visit." So I would assume that the Tennessee DCS has evaluated McCaul's home and is continuing to monitor the situation.

The article also quotes the child's attorney - she has one who is separate from her father and the adoptive parents. According to the article, Sonya's attorney (Hilary Duke) says, "Sonya is doing well. Duke blamed foster parents David and Kimberly Hodgin for blocking the state's earlier attempts to place Sonya with relatives.

Duke also claimed the Hodgins have endangered Sonya by making the custody case public. And she said that even if Sonya were to come back to Tennessee, she would not be placed back in the Hodgins' home."

Duke further stated that "the Hodgins might be allowed visitation with Sonya if they would cooperate with the process."

So the court-appointed attorney who is supposed to advocate for the child's best interests doesn't think the Hodgins family is acting in Sonya's best interests. And DCS still has legal custody, so if McCaul's home didn't meet their standards, they'd take action.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
I feel sorry for everyone involved in this cluster. I can't help wondering how many more children/people will have to go through this. Why can't they just do what's best for the child from the beginning?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I think you are making a huge assumption that the father's home would not pass a home study. Where are the facts to back that up?

This is a recent article from a Nebraska newspaper: click here

According to the article, "Sonya is still in the custody of the Tennessee Department of Children's Services. Department spokesman Rob Johnson said Sonya's placement with John McCaul is the equivalent of a trial home visit." So I would assume that the Tennessee DCS has evaluated McCaul's home and is continuing to monitor the situation.

The article also quotes the child's attorney - she has one who is separate from her father and the adoptive parents. According to the article, Sonya's attorney (Hilary Duke) says, "Sonya is doing well. Duke blamed foster parents David and Kimberly Hodgin for blocking the state's earlier attempts to place Sonya with relatives.

Duke also claimed the Hodgins have endangered Sonya by making the custody case public. And she said that even if Sonya were to come back to Tennessee, she would not be placed back in the Hodgins' home."

Duke further stated that "the Hodgins might be allowed visitation with Sonya if they would cooperate with the process."

So the court-appointed attorney who is supposed to advocate for the child's best interests doesn't think the Hodgins family is acting in Sonya's best interests. And DCS still has legal custody, so if McCaul's home didn't meet their standards, they'd take action.
I saw an interview with Sonya's attorney yesterday. Yes, child services has inspected and approved the home, and continues to make regular visits to check on her. They said she has adjusted well, and no longer wishes to return to the Hodgins. Her initial phone call reporting the condition of the home was deemed to be based on leading questions from the Hodgins, not fact.

I think she will appreciate the fact that her father fought for her instead of wondering why she was given up by her family.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I saw an interview with Sonya's attorney yesterday. Yes, child services has inspected and approved the home, and continues to make regular visits to check on her. They said she has adjusted well, and no longer wishes to return to the Hodgins. Her initial phone call reporting the condition of the home was deemed to be based on leading questions from the Hodgins, not fact.

I think she will appreciate the fact that her father fought for her instead of wondering why she was given up by her family.
Yes, and maybe someday he can apologize to her for ending up in prison for most of her young years and modeling how not to be a parent. Perhaps an explanation of what a felony means in the criminal justice system and exactly how many he was convicted of while he was "sowing his wild oats" would be a good idea as well. Than, of course he could explain why having firearms around may not be a good idea either.

Let's leave the "I know he's not the father of the year" cliches out of this. The truth is that an ordinary person would really have to stretch to imagine this clown as anything more than a phantasm of a parent. The truth is the only way this outcome can be justified is to accept the notion that when it comes to parenthood biology is gold standard and virtually nothing else counts.

Yes, I judge him and with good reason for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption