Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,507,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not a viable solution because the "adoptive couple" didn't allow any visitation even when the court ordered them to do so. However, the biological family is willing to allow her to visit the "adoptive couple" without the court mandating it.

Based on those two things alone, it's obvious which party truly cares about what's best for this little girl.
If they were unwilling to allow visitation, then it sounds like the judge made the right call, sad as it is that it came so late that this little girl has had her life disrupted for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That was not what she said. I can't believe that is all that you got out of Jaded's post.

Those of us who think that a travesty of justice has been committed in this case, think that once again, the fact that the child and the man are biologically related has trumped common sense.

"Preservation of American families' with disregard to the past behavior and significant shortcomings of the parent (including violence towards the child), has become a national obsession i both social service and criminal justice circles. She is scarred for life by this incident. We don't yet know how this will manifest. However, no one can possibly state with certainty that the reckless action of this judge, along with the father's demand that she will be removed from her home, have caused unspeakable psychological damage to this innocent child.

A loving person would allow the people who were raising her to continue to do so for the remainder of her child hood.

The tyranny of blood relations as the sour criterion for child placement in in need of some serious and immediate reform.
Does that mean that the potential adoptive parents of Baby Veronica should have let her remain with her father, whom she had been raised by for the previous 2 years, instead of fighting in court for her? She had lived with him for more than half of her life, she called him daddy and was happy and well adjusted with the family who had raised her for the last two years. Based on your reasoning, it doesn't matter why she was with Brown only that she wanted to stay, and was raised by him for more than half her life. That means using your reasoning her adoptive parents are unloving people since they would not allow her to remain with the people who were raising her for the remainder of her childhood.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,242,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
He was not deemed unfit, he received a sentence. They are not the same thing.

This father has been fighting since 2006, that's 8 years. Some people make it sound as though he's doing this on a whim.

Actually, they are the same thing. Have you personally attempted to adopt a child after being convicted of a felony?

I'm not sure if he had to pass any sort of home study - he "passed a DNA test". That seems to be the only thing anyone cares about here.

He's a factory worker? Really? A factory worker who occasionally supplements his income by gun running.

Perhaps he should try laying drywall next time.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Actually, they are the same thing. Have you personally attempted to adopt a child after being convicted of a felony?
Let's stick with the facts shall we? No need to get personal.

Criminal Background Checks For Prospective Foster And Adoptive Parents

Quote:
I'm not sure if he had to pass any sort of home study
Yes he did, this was addressed upthread.

Quote:
he "passed a DNA test". That seems to be the only thing anyone cares about here.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,995,970 times
The father isn't looking to adopt anybody. He wants his own child back.

Is there something wrong with factory workers that they should be barred from raising children?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM

From what I have read and heard, the condition of the home would be enough to warrant a CPS investigation now.

Also, that transporting guns across state lines charge? That was recent and would though a big old monkey wrench into anyone's adoption plans.

As to claims that this is just a "blue collar guy doing the best that he can", the man did nothing to attempt to clean up his house before the arrival of his daughter.

The little girl was crying that there were cigarets everywhere and the place smelled bad.

I am guessing that she means cigaret buts overflowing in ashtrays or perhaps even on the floor.
That's just disgusting. And overflowing ashtrays are a CPS offense.
Most people with children who smoke, do so outside the home today.

So this individual can't clean up is own house before the arrival of his beloved biological daughter. And the loving grandmother? She couldn't clean the house before the granddaughter came home?

Normal people are very excited and industrious before a new child comes home.

Those of you with children or or are pregnant or waiting to adopt, have all experienced the nervous joy involved in painting and decorating a child's new room. Baby or child proofing your house or apartment.

Most adults know that a home with children in it, needs to be centered around children.
Not the laziness or destructive habits of adults.

This house sounds adult centered. And centered around adults who are two lazy and indulgent to clean up after themselves.Kind of like a seedy bar.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,461,591 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if he had to pass any sort of home study - he "passed a DNA test". That seems to be the only thing anyone cares about here.

He's a factory worker? Really? A factory worker who occasionally supplements his income by gun running.

I didn't get that from anything I read. The lengthy sentence is seen legally as abandonment for all practical purposes, not that the parent is unfit under the law.

So, while you could make the argument that a convicted felon is an unfit parent, the law does not necessarily see it that way unless there are other factors of unfitness involved.

Bio dad is certainly no father of the year, but to me it seems the state of TN and the local authorities royally botched this from the get go. I don't understand why they didn't immediately send Sonya back to the custody of Nebraska until a determination could be made on the fitness of the father and or grandmother. And once she was determined fit to parent the child during her son's incarceration, I don't understand why they didn't enforce that determination. Further, I don't understand why they didn't enforce a transition plan for the child when it was determined she would be returned to the bio dad.

If its true the adoptive parents stood in the way of that transition plan, then they are not particularly fit parents either imo.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
anything can happen in a court of law. if the lawyer can convince the judge that the parents are worse than the excon father then off the kid goes to the excon. many a child has lost his life being sent back to a violent home bek they were his biological parents and had rights as mothers and fathers.
their jail time for the murder will not help that dead kid.
the sky is cryin.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times
Quote:

I have no idea what line of work he did before going into prison. He is a factory worker now.

Quote:
As to claims that this is just a "blue collar guy doing the best that he can"....
The factory work was brought up to correct a false statement made by someone who accused him of wanting welfare. She said it's proof he wants welfare because he doesn't have a job and he won't be able to get one as a felon. All not true. Obviously. Since he does have a job as a factory worker.

Quote:
I am guessing that she means cigarette buts overflowing in ashtrays or perhaps even on the floor.
You can keep guessing. That's all the rest of your post was.

Show us pictures of overflowing ashtrays and cigarettes all over the floor. You can't. Because you're guessing.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:13 PM

The child was repulsed by the condition of the house. I heard a tape of her crying on the phone to her parents that the house was dirty, smelled bad, stunk of mold and cigarets.

She said the house was "full of cigarets".

The child sounded very upset and repulsed by the condition of the home. I was trying ti figure out what she could mean by "full of cigarets". That was what I came up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption