Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Martha Stewart broke the law and went to jail. Is it a stretch to imagine her as a good parent?
Martha Stewart was never convicted of a felony involving guns. Nor, did she have a record before that which involved other felony convictions. The sentence she served was months long, not years.

There's a big difference.

I would never argue a petty drug offender or someone with a DUI is an unfit parent because of that alone. This is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Martha Stewart was never convicted of a felony involving guns. Nor, did she have a record before that which involved other felony convictions. The sentence she served was months long, not years.

There's a big difference.

I would never argue a petty drug offender or someone with a DUI is an unfit parent because of that alone. This is different.
How are the adoptive parents any better? It would appear they also see themselves as being above the law.

I would argue that what they did to the child, putting her through this, is also heinous. Difference is, the are not charged with anything. Doesn't make what they did right. So how do you choose? Because they have a nicer house or better means makes them better parents? I don't think so.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Her name isn't Tonya, it's Sonya. I've found articles online indicating that the Hodgins did not go through regular channels in their desire to keep Sonya, but that they had connections to both the social worker and the original judge in TN. There are also stories with allegations that they have an older, estranged daughter. The entire situation reeks of selfishness on the part of the Hodgins family. They refused to allow Sonya to take any of her belongings with her, and refused to follow court requests to gradually introduce her to her biological family.

Nobody has claimed that the bio father is a pillar of his community. And, it doesn't matter. He has not demonstrated he is unfit to father HIS child.

Stories like this make me an advocate for only open adoption unless there is abuse involved.

You know who he meant. Why the glee in correcting him? Actually, I thought her mane was "Grace".

Pillar of the community? HA! OK, now I can laugh.

Among families formed by adoption, he'd have to do oh...200% better than what he is doing and has done. Some one really dropped the ball here, because the house should have been inspected before Sonya was brought into it.

Why the need for all the Grandmother adoption? Doesn't grandma know how to wield a vacuum cleaner?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
How are the adoptive parents any better? It would appear they also see themselves as being above the law.

I would argue that what they did to the child, putting her through this, is also heinous. Difference is, the are not charged with anything. Doesn't make what they did right. So how do you choose? Because they have a nicer house or better means makes them better parents? I don't think so.
My goodness, I feel sorry for you if you can't see the difference between violent felonies involving firearms and people who performed an act that you disagree with that didn't violate the criminal law at all.

I understand that there is no possibility that many of us are going to see eye to eye on this case. At this point, I am going to try to bow out of this conversation. If you really can't differentiate between these two things, I cannot imagine having a dialogue that would mean anything at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Why does everyone seem to love this guy so much? Would any of you want him as your next door neighbor? Any of you willing to let your kids sleep over his house?
Nobody said they loved him. Coincidently, one of my area's biggest drug kings was arrested for trafficking drugs and weapons. When he got out on parole, he signed is son up for boy scouts in my son's troop. I was the only person who knew who he was, and I told my husband. Everyone in the troop decided that he had a right to start a new life. There wasn't one parent who complained.

Honestly, he wasn't a terrible person. He was just one of those brilliant geniuses who went into an illegal business. If you think he wasn't brilliant because he got caught, you're wrong. He had the foresight to protect almost all of his assets. He was/is still incredibly wealthy. And why should he be considered a more terrible person than all of the wealthy businessmen and politicians who were his financial investors? Just because he got caught and they didn't? Come on, that's illogical. The guy sitting next to you on the bleachers of your kids t-ball game could be investing money in the gun trafficking business. Interest rates suck right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'm sure that Tonya is just biding her time and waiting to be returned to her family.
If it helps you sleep better at night thinking that, go for it.

Quote:
Martha Stewart was never convicted of a felony involving guns.
Quote:
My goodness, I feel sorry for you if you can't see the difference between violent felonies involving firearms...
So it's the guns. What about Oliver North? He wasn't convicted either but he admitted his heavy involvement in drug and weapons trafficking. Does he get a free pass at being considered a good father because his administration sanctioned illegal activity even though he had an ethical and moral obligation to not follow illegal orders?

Quote:
In my state, parents with DUI's don't get awarded custody. Getting in a car drunk is attempted murder IMO.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Now, onto the court-appointed guardian Hilary Duke - she's not an attorney - she should watch what she tells the press.
She is an attorney:

Meet the Dickson, Tennessee Lawyers of Reynolds, Potter, Ragan & Vandivort, PLC
Hilary H Duke - Family Law and Criminal Attorney in Dickson Tennessee

Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Mattie did NOT say he was a pillar of his community. Re-read what she wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Nobody has claimed that the bio father is a pillar of his community.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You know who he meant. Why the glee in correcting him? Actually, I thought her mane was "Grace".

Among families formed by adoption, he'd have to do oh...200% better than what he is doing and has done. Some one really dropped the ball here, because the house should have been inspected before Sonya was brought into it.

Why the need for all the Grandmother adoption? Doesn't grandma know how to wield a vacuum cleaner?
I have absolutely no idea what you are rambling on about at this point. Do a little research before you condemn the biological family, and turn down the emotion. You don't have the child's name right, and we should think you are well versed in the case?

Last edited by Jaded; 05-21-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Perhaps they did not convey valuable personal items with Sonya because they were afraid that they would be stolen or otherwise misappropriated. They are, I am certain; hopeful that their daughter will come home.

As I am.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
She is not Sonya's legal representative. She is a court appointed guardian. Equivalent to a CASA. Big difference! And further, this is just proof that she should keep her mouth shut. She should know better. Now I'm embarrassed for her! Her opinion is biased and will likely not be considered when all this is over.

The judge rejected her suggestion of a restraining order against the adoptive parents...he didn't even address it. Know why? Because she's not in court as an attorney in this case...she's a guardian. a biased one at that.

We can all disagree all day long. The bottom line is the party involved who actually broke the law remains bio dad. No one else! I wouldn't let this guy watch my cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption