Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
African Americans tend to visit Ghana when they go to W. Africa. The other country that African Americans seem to gravitate to on the continent is South Africa. Going by the ethnic groups that you mentioned, it appears that you were in Nigeria when you visited W. Africa.
That's interesting considering most African Americans came from either the Angola/Congo/Cameroon. Bight of Biafra (Nigerians mostly, I believe) were popular in Virginia but not so in the Deep South. I think the West Central African area is far ignored with Black Americans. It supplied most of the slaves to Louisiana and the rest of the Deep South. Bight of Benin was second. In fact, here are some percentages. Keep in mind, I'm still doing research on this to see how much truth there is to this.

African Origins of Afro-Americans in US by port.

Virginia
1.Bight of Biafra 37.7%(Igbo,efik,moko,ejagham)
2. Angola/Congo 15.7%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)

3. Sene-Gambia 14.4(wolof,mandingo,bambara,fu lani)
4. Gold coast 14%(akan,ewe)
5. Sierra Leone 4%(mende,vai)
6. Mozambique 2%(macua)
7. Bight of Benin 0%(fon,yoruba)
Source: Lorena Walsh 2005,Eltis.....

South Carolina/Georgia 1700s-1807
1. Angola/Congo 39.5%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
2. Sene-Gambia 19.5%(wolof,mandingo,bambara,f ulani

4. Gold coast 13%(akan,ewe Most Preffered)
5. Sierra Leone 6%(mende,vai)
6. Bight of Biafra 4%(Igbo, Were not favoured because of bn short,suicidal)
7. Mozambique 1%(macua)
8. Bight of Benin 1%(fon,ewe,yoruba)
source: Curtin 1969, R Eltis,p Morgan,Phillip Holloway Africanisms in American culture ....Matt Schaffer Bound to Africa, Mandeka Legacy in New World.

Louisiana 1719s-1820
1. Angola/Congo 39.6%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
2. Sene-Gambia 14.5%(Most Preffered)(wolof,mandingo,bamb ara,fulani)
4. Gold coast 6%(akan,adangme)
5. Sierra Leone 15%(mende,vai)
6. Bight of Biafra 8%(Igbo, Were not favoured because of bn short,suicidal)
7. Mozambique 4%(macua)
8. Bight of Benin 25%(fon,ewe,yoruba)
Source: Gwendollyn Midlo Hall

I believe there is something called Congo Square in New Orleans. If you can trace your family back to Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas, there's a good chance that your family came from West CENTRAL Africa. I believe Haiti was a huge destination for the Bight of Benin though. Mainly Yoruba.

Last edited by Spade; 08-03-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I can talk about the social landscape in Mobile Alabama until I am blue in the face. If I have not been there to see it myself, its just unsubstantiated supposition.
So I guess the fact that it is a respected magazine that did this piece, it is just speculation. You jest, sir.

eta: I have never had one African comment on this article because I suspect, it doesn't fit in with the current attitude of victimhood that permeates any discussion that Blacks put forth about the very real evil of slavery that was in America. But, the fact that it is still going on today(slavery) in the mother country doesn't fit the agenda. Really sad and so counterproductive.

Having said all of this, I am eternally and respectfully amazed at beautiful and mysterious Africa and the African people. I would love to go there someday before I die.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 AM

16 posts, read 23,268 times
What are African's view on the diaspora in Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu? We rarely hear about the African descents from those parts on the world.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
So I guess the fact that it is a respected magazine that did this piece, it is just speculation. You jest, sir.

eta: I have never had one African comment on this article because I suspect, it doesn't fit in with the current attitude of victimhood that permeates any discussion that Blacks put forth about the very real evil of slavery that was in America. But, the fact that it is still going on today(slavery) in the mother country doesn't fit the agenda. Really sad and so counterproductive.

Having said all of this, I am eternally and respectfully amazed at beautiful and mysterious Africa and the African people. I would love to go there someday before I die.
1. I am African sweetie
2. You American's are some of the most brain washed people on the planet. Some of the "most reputable" magazines and newspapers said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. We see how true that was, now don't we . Go, see it for yourself, other wise its just speculation.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 28,793 times
Quote:
1. I am African sweetie
2. You American's are some of the most brain washed people on the planet. Some of the "most reputable" magazines and newspapers said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. We see how true that was, now don't we . Go, see it for yourself, other wise its just speculation.

We can all tell that you're African "Wild Style" - all original, superior, and "all that". So give yourself a great big pat on the back and then run along - ok.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 28,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's interesting considering most African Americans came from either the Angola/Congo/Cameroon. Bight of Biafra (Nigerians mostly, I believe) were popular in Virginia but not so in the Deep South. I think the West Central African area is far ignored with Black Americans. It supplied most of the slaves to Louisiana and the rest of the Deep South. Bight of Benin was second. In fact, here are some percentages. Keep in mind, I'm still doing research on this to see how much truth there is to this.

African Origins of Afro-Americans in US by port.

Virginia
1.Bight of Biafra 37.7%(Igbo,efik,moko,ejagham)
2. Angola/Congo 15.7%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
3. Sene-Gambia 14.4(wolof,mandingo,bambara,fu lani)
4. Gold coast 14%(akan,ewe)
5. Sierra Leone 4%(mende,vai)
6. Mozambique 2%(macua)
7. Bight of Benin 0%(fon,yoruba)
Source: Lorena Walsh 2005,Eltis.....

South Carolina/Georgia 1700s-1807
1. Angola/Congo 39.5%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
2. Sene-Gambia 19.5%(wolof,mandingo,bambara,f ulani
4. Gold coast 13%(akan,ewe Most Preffered)
5. Sierra Leone 6%(mende,vai)
6. Bight of Biafra 4%(Igbo, Were not favoured because of bn short,suicidal)
7. Mozambique 1%(macua)
8. Bight of Benin 1%(fon,ewe,yoruba)
source: Curtin 1969, R Eltis,p Morgan,Phillip Holloway Africanisms in American culture ....Matt Schaffer Bound to Africa, Mandeka Legacy in New World.

Louisiana 1719s-1820
1. Angola/Congo 39.6%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
2. Sene-Gambia 14.5%(Most Preffered)(wolof,mandingo,bamb ara,fulani)
4. Gold coast 6%(akan,adangme)
5. Sierra Leone 15%(mende,vai)
6. Bight of Biafra 8%(Igbo, Were not favoured because of bn short,suicidal)
7. Mozambique 4%(macua)
8. Bight of Benin 25%(fon,ewe,yoruba)
Source: Gwendollyn Midlo Hall

I believe there is something called Congo Square in New Orleans. If you can trace your family back to Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas, there's a good chance that your family came from West CENTRAL Africa. I believe Haiti was a huge destination for the Bight of Benin though. Mainly Yoruba.
I for one, would be very interested in the results of your study; especially if you have any info about blacks coming from western Madagascar. My niece has been doing the research on our family heritage and recently proposed at a family reunion that our lineage may come from that direction.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times
Quote:
1. I am African sweetie
The way that you have generalized an entire population of people is the mark of a profoundly brainwashed mind. Please redirect that judgement back on yourself.....sweetie.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm not African-American. However, I do have African ancestors and rightfully consider myself one third African. So, given what I consider myself, and the fact that I did set foot in Mombasa Kenya many years ago, by default, I will consider myself qualified to respond to your query.

I was a mere 20 year old U.S. Navy Sailor when I found myself at sea in the Indian Ocean. Because we had been at sea for 36 consecutive days, our ship was starting to run low on fuel and essential supplies. The closest friendly port was Mombasa. As soon as permission was granted, our ship headed in that direction. Initially, no one knew exactly where we were headed. But, as soon as the word got out, there was this feeling of absolute elation amongst those of us of African-American descent and myself. Although many of my African-American shipmates didn't know I had African blood in me, I was sure to let them know how proud and fortunate I felt, and how our elation was mutual. We'd smile at each other in a curious sort of way. We were on our way to the proverbial Motherland; the land of our Ancestors and the very craddle of humanity.

Unfortunately, immediately upon arrival, my division was tasked with the critical responsibility of taking on fuel. This kept our group aboard an extra 12 hours. The next day I finally set foot on the pier. I purposely took a very deep breath and walked into town with a group of guys from my division. We were granted early liberty given the prior day's 12 hour ordeal. I was a bit surprised at the number of foreigners I saw and British accents I heard. But nevertheless, I knew where I was. I knew that the air in my lungs and the soil beneath my feet was African. I was there. I had arrived at that far away place frequently alluded to by my father and my father's father.

"Yambo, yambo. . .hey brader, we same color!" I'll never forget the words of a statue and efigy vendor I met. Both he and I were all smiles. He (of course) smiled to sell his wares. I smiled simply because it felt good to hear those words coming from a native Kenyan. Although I was a few shades lighter, I felt so proud to hear that man call me brother, and tell me that we were of the same color. I offered him a Camel cigarrette which he kindly accepted. As we smoked, I analyzed several of his hand carved figures. I was truly impressed with the craftsmanship and bought two intricately carved masks and two 8 inch tall figurines, all made from dense mahogany.

We spent a total of six days in Mombasa and I felt gifted by God himself for this unforgettable experience. Sadly, several of my African-American shipmates did not faire as well. Many were shunned by the native Kenyans. Despite that, I am sure that a certain void in our souls was made whole. That curious void found deep in my sub-conscious was finally satisfied. I can proudly say that I've set foot on African soil.
LMAO @ 1/3 African.

I love how if a black American embraces their white heritage, they are deemed as "self-haters" but when a white person with a small amount of black heritage claims embraces their "Africaness" they are praised.

And btw, we African-Americans aren't descendants of Kenyans, fyi. African-Americans are the descendants of West Africans and have more in common with a white american than a Kenya.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Has ANYBODY ever read this article Born into Bondage | People & Places | Smithsonian Magazine it just seems to be overlooked by everyone and I have posted the link many times. NO ONE ever comments.....LOL. I guess they don't like the message.

[color=#000000][b]
Maybe because slavery is worldwide, including within the US: Slavery Today: Human Traficking :: National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
LMAO @ 1/3 African.

I love how if a black American embraces their white heritage, they are deemed as "self-haters" but when a white person with a small amount of black heritage claims embraces their "Africaness" they are praised.

And btw, we African-Americans aren't descendants of Kenyans, fyi. African-Americans are the descendants of West Africans and have more in common with a white american than a Kenya.
And Miss, with all due respect to you. . .I am not African-American nor Anglo. I am Afro-Indo-Caribbean Islander.

As you correctly stated, yours and my African roots descend from West Africa. More specifically, my roots are MANDINKA.

Unlike you (and most African-Americans) I do not have more in common with Anglo Americans. For the record, not an Anglo "hater."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa