Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
And Miss, with all due respect to you. . .I am not African-American nor Anglo. I am Afro-Indo-Caribbean Islander.

As you correctly stated, yours and my African roots descend from West Africa. More specifically, my roots are MANDINKA.

Unlike you (and most African-Americans) I do not have more in common with Anglo Americans. For the record, not an Anglo "hater."

Like most of the Africa Diaspora Africa Americans are mix but on that same note African American are majority of Africa decent. So most light skin African Americans would be or 3/4 black.

Though out American history unlike Latin America for the most part it didn't matter if you were light skin or dark. You were treat as black, sure darker blacks were treated worst during slavery and etc but that only as good as say a house slave. Field slaves shouldn't want to a house slaves rather but both to be free. Also light skin blacks were really disclaim by there white parents and general whites during this time, So after slavery while there's colorism light skin vs dark skin stuff, most light skins blacks only feel connected to there black side because of how there ancestors were accepted. In addition African Americans families are are broadly tan-black tones.

Because of the prejudice and racism in American history, A lot black American place African nations in high regards to tolerance. What a lot black Americans discover is prejudice views of lighter tone black Americans and mix blacks. Add with another layer of prejudice views for just be American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 AM

14 posts, read 28,793 times
I think we're getting off topic here guys

Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM

68 posts, read 108,958 times
As a white guy who spent a year in W. Africa, I have a great fondness for the Efiks. I was welcomed with open arms, invited to many villages some celebration or another. I found the Efiks and Ibos to be warm, caring, very friendly people endowed with a great sense of humor. They took very good care of me and there are several I still think of as friends. My one regret is that I do not have an address to which I can send letters. I suspect that, if I could reach Stanislaus Vincent, he would find a way to contact the others. Cross River State, Uyo would be my best guess. They would have known me as "Mr. Dusty".

Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM

399 posts, read 820,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
African Origins of Afro-Americans in US by port.

Virginia
1.Bight of Biafra 37.7%(Igbo,efik,moko,ejagham)
2. Angola/Congo 15.7%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)

3. Sene-Gambia 14.4(wolof,mandingo,bambara,fu lani)
4. Gold coast 14%(akan,ewe)
5. Sierra Leone 4%(mende,vai)
6. Mozambique 2%(macua)
7. Bight of Benin 0%(fon,yoruba)
Source: Lorena Walsh 2005,Eltis.....

South Carolina/Georgia 1700s-1807
1. Angola/Congo 39.5%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
2. Sene-Gambia 19.5%(wolof,mandingo,bambara,f ulani

4. Gold coast 13%(akan,ewe Most Preffered)
5. Sierra Leone 6%(mende,vai)
6. Bight of Biafra 4%(Igbo, Were not favoured because of bn short,suicidal)
7. Mozambique 1%(macua)
8. Bight of Benin 1%(fon,ewe,yoruba)
source: Curtin 1969, R Eltis,p Morgan,Phillip Holloway Africanisms in American culture ....Matt Schaffer Bound to Africa, Mandeka Legacy in New World.

Louisiana 1719s-1820
1. Angola/Congo 39.6%(kongo,mbundu,vili,teke)
2. Sene-Gambia 14.5%(Most Preffered)(wolof,mandingo,bamb ara,fulani)
4. Gold coast 6%(akan,adangme)
5. Sierra Leone 15%(mende,vai)
6. Bight of Biafra 8%(Igbo, Were not favoured because of bn short,suicidal)
7. Mozambique 4%(macua)
8. Bight of Benin 25%(fon,ewe,yoruba)
Source: Gwendollyn Midlo Hall

I believe there is something called Congo Square in New Orleans. If you can trace your family back to Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas, there's a good chance that your family came from West CENTRAL Africa. I believe Haiti was a huge destination for the Bight of Benin though. Mainly Yoruba.
That's very interesting, most people think African Americans come only from Nigeria or Ghana whereas they come mostly from Angola and both Congo countries.

I know too that the culture of Afro-Cuban is mainly based on slaves brought from Congo because they were the largest number even so the Yoruba culture is also important.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 15,059 times
Hello,

i am black african from W Africa: before learning slavery story, we and ours brothers were very keen on black americans stars (the singers, the actors, the sportsman etc)their good looking, their style, their art of singing...They seems to be so magical! We have for them a sense of longing as brothers who lived so far in a so complex country.In high school we discovered his-tory (of WASP) about slavery, ghetto problems of youngs blacks who have problems to fit in the american society.It was deception as we learned we are responsible(our fore fathers sold our black american brothers) for theirs problems, this added to our discovering of the colonization of the african continent was hard as we saw ourselves africans as incapables lacking brain, intelligence and solidarity..I spend years trying to overcome this brain wash that black man was just a servant to others. With time, maturity and reading of true story of the black Man inventor of civilisation and dispatcher of it even in america(see Ivan Van Sertima" they come before Colombus") i saw the true value of Africa contribution to humanity, not one of a deshumanised war technology but a spiritual intelligence that has modeled all that exist today, but some are excellent in copying and pretending they create it, you catch my glance!
To come back to the diaspora I didn't get to know much black american but the two ones i met were nice people.For people around me, the joy and pride they show at the actual President of America election and the sadness they feel at Mickael Jackson death shows me how our americans brothers are loved and held as just us... To day for me, they are survivants of destabilization, and i am so proud of theirs achievements.Hope this will help.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Like most of the Africa Diaspora Africa Americans are mix but on that same note African American are majority of Africa decent. So most light skin African Americans would be or 3/4 black.

Though out American history unlike Latin America for the most part it didn't matter if you were light skin or dark. You were treat as black, sure darker blacks were treated worst during slavery and etc but that only as good as say a house slave. Field slaves shouldn't want to a house slaves rather but both to be free. Also light skin blacks were really disclaim by there white parents and general whites during this time, So after slavery while there's colorism light skin vs dark skin stuff, most light skins blacks only feel connected to there black side because of how there ancestors were accepted. In addition African Americans families are are broadly tan-black tones.

Because of the prejudice and racism in American history, A lot black American place African nations in high regards to tolerance. What a lot black Americans discover is prejudice views of lighter tone black Americans and mix blacks. Add with another layer of prejudice views for just be American.
Latin America is the absolute worst when it comes to the light/dark skin complex.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 PM

74 posts, read 200,027 times
In my experience Africans who live in Africa think very positively about Blacks in the Diaspora (and have good things to say about Black Americans, Jamaicans, etc). A lot of this is owed to pop culture and the civil rights movement.

The Africans who live here in the States don't seem to be as enthused though.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
In my experience Africans who live in Africa think very positively about Blacks in the Diaspora (and have good things to say about Black Americans, Jamaicans, etc). A lot of this is owed to pop culture and the civil rights movement.

The Africans who live here in the States don't seem to be as enthused though.
That's been my experience with the many continental Africans I've met in Asia. They hold African-Americans in very high esteem. What's not to love? TONS of African-Americans have achieved worldwide celebrity status throughout the world in music, tv & movies, and are many of the top athletes of the world.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

This is fascinating. Do Africans in general have prejudice against mixed Africans? I knew a Congolese woman who despised African Americans; she said they were fake and only indentified as 'African' when it suited them.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
This is fascinating. Do Africans in general have prejudice against mixed Africans? I knew a Congolese woman who despised African Americans; she said they were fake and only indentified as 'African' when it suited them.
I know a Congolese women who is married to an African-American man. I attended their wedding, which was full of Congolese and African-Americans getting along and celebrating that couple's union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa