Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
It seems like AA are not interested in people from Africa, at least no more interested in exploring African culture than they are in exploring Asian culture. It is just another foreign group of people instead of people who might have lot in common with them
Africa is more expensive to visit than is Europe and most folks go on vacation to relax. To ask an AA to be interested in finding "their roots" In Africa is about as futile as asking a Native American about their Asian roots.

AAs have a western orientation and expect western service standards and environments. Most will recoil when confronting with the challenges of Africa outside of the narrow preserves of the African elites and the expat communities.

In fact an AA can go to London and Paris and seek out the black communities which exist in those cities, as I am sure that many do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reality is that white Americans and African Americans culturally are the same

Culture has no color

In fact white Americans do NOT accept black Americans. Given this why should one expect that black Americans should identify with them. Doing so reduces one to being a beggar.

I of course note the implication that the fact that racial segregation remains a fact of life must some how be blamed on blacks?

Whites need to get over their gui8lt and fix the problem rather than blaming those victimized by their behavior.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:52 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's pretty clear that they are not there. Definitely not with conservative red America...and I don't think liberal white America could either outside of well-to-do whites with a guilt complex...

Mostly because I don't think a black man born and raised in a predominately black cultural setting, would have any real understanding of the complexities of white America.

Because most black cultural settings are surrounded by heavily affluent white neighborhoods, which give off the impression to most black people that all white people are affluent.

The reality is that these white people aren't typical white people across the nation, by any stretch. They are just the rarities of the most affluent and highly educated across the nation. Most black people from black cultural settings wrongly assume this subset of white people as the 'white norm'.

Ah, squat. There are more black people cheek-to-jowl with white people in the south than there are black people in the north. No black people think "all white people are affluent," and especially not any black person from a background that would have afforded him a reasonable expectation of being elected president in the first place.

Quote:
The massive amounts of white America are without that much education, and are ignored by both political parties. Democrats SHOULD be connecting with them, but that message isn't there, or they are missing the mark. Republicans are lying to them, and they are buying it. That's how out of the loop they are....

I don't see any black man coming from a black cultural setting, have any concept/clue/awareness of that entire large swath of most of America. I don't see them being able to represent them, or being able to show that they understand them.

Obama had a strong sense of 'working-class' white America through his Mom's Kansas roots. It was the magic key required.

Except Obama was raised mostly by his white grandparents in Hawaii--which has a far different racial dynamic that is neither black nor white--and attended the top private school in the state, courtesy of his grandfather being a personal friend of one of the most powerful Hawaii state politicians.

Quote:
You're kind of asking the equivalent of, do you think we'll ever see a white person coming from a predominately white cultural setting someday represent black America, and the answer would be 'I don't see how that could be possible'.
And yet, up until Obama, we voted for white people--even over other black people. Remember that Obama was only the sixth or seventh serious black candidate for president, and black people rejected all of the previous ones in favor of white candidates.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
.I simply think black cultural norms have devolved to such a point that most whites and frankly non-African-Americans in general (including many blacks of immigrant origin) would object.
And yet Africans living in the USA are subject to the same issues of racism that are black Americans. Just chat with a Senegalese taxi driver in NYC who faces daily harassment from the police.

Nigerians are the most educated group in the USA yet their median household earnings are lower than the considerably less educated whites and in fact mirror those of the also considerably less educated Jamaicans. This suggests to me that Nigerians have been less successful at converting their high education levels to higher median earnings.

So please continue to please your massa by peddling a notion that all black Americans are ghetto. You are aware of the stigmas that Nigerians are stereotypes with due to those infamous letters asking for money to be wired.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yeah no one in my Ghanaian American family thought of themselves of having much in common with African-American beyond skin color. The talk was mostly about how awful they acted as a group. Among us kids and cousins about a dozen of us, only one has married an African-American and he has a MBA with a great job. So to be blunt and exception.

You're right though in general the next generation of our family will be less "African" and will at some point just blend in with AAs.
And I can just imagine white Americans discussing Africans in glowing terms. Mention a trip to Ghana and most whites will recoil in horror, clearly indicating that they don't think much of you in your natural habitat.

In fact to most whites a black person is a black person and they don't make distinctions beyond this, though they will gladly fool you that they do.

I am willing to be that Black Americans with MBAs out earn African MBAs, suggesting that they have a superior ability to negotiate their way.

I suggest that you compare like with like. Some one from the ghettoes of Accra migrating to the USA will have a very different outcome and will face tremendous racism.

You need to ask yourself why your only exposure to American blacks was to those of the ghetto. There is a whole upper middle class black population out there. MILLIONS of them!

Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Mention a trip to Ghana and most whites will recoil in horror, clearly indicating that they don't think much of you in your natural habitat.
Africans haven't even been here that long and they already forgot where they came from. The worst social problems in the American black community pale in comparison to those that exist in Africa and the West-indies. If you show me a drug dealing gang member in the worst black american ghetto, I can show you the Cannibal Warlords in Liberia that kill, rape women, and eat babies.

The irony that a Ghanian, Nigerian, or a Somalian comes here and passes judgement on American black people is just too much. What do they think is going on in their own countries? Did they forget already?

I have been to Jamaica, Angola, South Africa, etc and saw black people living in squalor, but it never once crossed my mind to judge them as a people because of anything I saw. Why do they come here and point fingers at American black people? It's unreal.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact some of the Africans who are most disdainful towards African Americans are in fact the highly educated ones. They fit into decent occupations in the USA, especially if educated at American universities, and so are perplexed as to why so many African Americans have had difficulty in achieving upward mobility.
Black immigrants in the U.S do outperform American black people on average. That's a reality. But it's because they are tiny immigrant groups who disproportionately come from middle class backgrounds in their own countries that are being compared to all of black America.

If we compared statistics of education and achievement of black Americans vs. Jamaicans in Jamaica, for example, we'd see a much different story.

Last edited by Tritone; 06-30-2017 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You don't get out much.
EdwardA forgot that hes from Ghana, of all places, where publicly burning old women who are accused of being a witch is a cultural norm.

Where else in the world do you see something like that?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But no living Black American was directly affected by Slavery, and very few old enough to have been directly affected by Segretation.
What?

My grandparents and great aunts and uncles who were adults before the end of segregation are still living and speak about it like it was yesterday. They haven't changed since then.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Actually now that I think about it the only black people that had issues with me were Ethiopian men and Dominican menfor vastly different reasons.
One of the things I learned in NYC after the first few years was to not see Dominicans as black at all, no matter how African appearing they are.

They are not even black immigrants to me.

Last edited by Tritone; 07-01-2017 at 02:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa