Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 12:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No. Opiates can be taken in pill forms, and most drugs are not injected. Plenty of drugs are smoked, taken in pill form, or drank in liquid form. Or sniffed.

And it seems like your family issues with your father have made you irrational.

But yes, there's plenty of historical records in the past about drug use, and drug use and even abuse in various forms and that includes alcoholism.

Injected stuff is almost always more dangerous than swallowed drugs. Sniffing glues is also pretty bad that can eat away your brain, but again it is modern synthetic stuff.

I don't think I am irrational at all. I am just very strict when it comes to drugs, I have a zero tolerance policy.

No, drugs have never been as much of a problem as they have been in modern times. The Romans and Greek for instance used to write about everything that was going on, yet they did not mention useless drug addicts hanging around Rome or Athens and committing crimes. Neither the state, nor the family had the means to support drug addicts back then. And when you were a criminal, you were treated not nearly as nicely as today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Injected stuff is almost always more dangerous than swallowed drugs. Sniffing glues is also pretty bad that can eat away your brain, but again it is modern synthetic stuff.

I don't think I am irrational at all. I am just very strict when it comes to drugs, I have a zero tolerance policy.

No, drugs have never been as much of a problem as they have been in modern times. The Romans and Greek for instance used to write about everything that was going on, yet they did not mention useless drug addicts hanging around Rome or Athens and committing crimes. Neither the state, nor the family had the means to support drug addicts back then. And when you were a criminal, you were treated not nearly as nicely as today.
Yes the ancients talk about drug use. The oracles allegedly sniffed fumes from volcanic vents and took certain herbs for hallucinations.

Drug use has been with us every since there was recorded history.

Drugs in Ancient Cultures: A History of Drug Use and Effects | Ancient Origins

12 Drugs From Ancient Cultures And Where To Get Them - ANIMAL

Old 03-01-2017, 01:04 PM

You fail to see the point: I never said people did not take substances. What I am saying is that those substances were very different from our modern drugs many of which destroy the body and deliberately cause addiction because it is big business.
It's a whole different dimension really...

Old 03-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You fail to see the point: I never said people did not take substances. What I am saying is that those substances were very different from our modern drugs many of which destroy the body and deliberately cause addiction because it is big business.
It's a whole different dimension really...
It's not so different.

People took stuff and had hallucinations and acted crazy.

Opium has been used for thousands of years.

The only difference with modern stuff it was made superconcentrated. But if you don't have the concentrated stuff, you can just do more of the low dose stuff which is what people did.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:37 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Yes the ancients talk about drug use. The oracles allegedly sniffed fumes from volcanic vents and took certain herbs for hallucinations.

Drug use has been with us every since there was recorded history.

Drugs in Ancient Cultures: A History of Drug Use and Effects | Ancient Origins

12 Drugs From Ancient Cultures And Where To Get Them - ANIMAL
Drug use and drug dependency are very different things.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It's not so different.

People took stuff and had hallucinations and acted crazy.

Opium has been used for thousands of years.

The only difference with modern stuff it was made superconcentrated. But if you don't have the concentrated stuff, you can just do more of the low dose stuff which is what people did.
Sorry, but I have never read of any old culture where there was a certain fraction of society that was basically useless due to drug abuse.
Again, old societies were not nearly as tolerant as today's. People were expected to behave and contribute to society. It was not the time and place for egoism and self-indulgence.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I have never read of any old culture where there was a certain fraction of society that was basically useless due to drug abuse.
Again, old societies were not nearly as tolerant as today's. People were expected to behave and contribute to society. It was not the time and place for egoism and self-indulgence.
It's not just drug dependency that's created a problem, but also the "War on drugs" that was really a war on young black men.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Old societies could marry 13 year olds (or younger) off to grown men. There were no drug and alcohol texts for jobs. Also while one might get marginalized, generally speaking prostitution wasn't illegal.

It was the norm for wealthy men to have children by multiple women. There was no child support so if the man didn't want to acknowledge, he did not.

There's archaeological evidence (from tissue samples of dead bodies) of drug AND alcohol use, and writings about it.

Point blank, you're simply wrong and irrational due to daddy issues.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not just drug dependency that's created a problem, but also the "War on drugs" that was really a war on young black men.
Bingo!

The war on drugs was a war on Black men. During the 70s, the government wanted to shut down activism among Black men, and among anti war activists.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Old societies could marry 13 year olds (or younger) off to grown men. There were no drug and alcohol texts for jobs. Also while one might get marginalized, generally speaking prostitution wasn't illegal.

It was the norm for wealthy men to have children by multiple women. There was no child support so if the man didn't want to acknowledge, he did not.

There's archaeological evidence (from tissue samples of dead bodies) of drug AND alcohol use, and writings about it.

Point blank, you're simply wrong and irrational due to daddy issues.
Actually, the social controls in ancient societies to ensure responsible male behavior were a lot stronger than you present it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa