Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:29 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Errrr.......I'm African.
So what? We are talking about a fictional story that takes place in 1912. Were you alive back then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:37 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So what? We are talking about a fictional story that takes place in 1912.

That is what I was saying, and you disagreed with me. It's a work of fiction about a boy adopted by a gorilla that takes part in a fictional country written by an author who never visited the region, let alone the continent. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Ridiculous. You are trying to be political and politically correct about a movie that is based on a fictional story.

Of course they are going to focus on the primitive parts of Africa because the story is about a boy being raised by gorillas in the wild. It couldn't have happened in a bustling city. Also, this was back in 1912, most of Africa, even the developed areas, were still dirt roads and huts.

Seriously, most of you are too caught up in political correctness and have all lost your senses.
I think one big problem with Tarzan was that for a long time it was the only media image of Africans.

So those movies became the dominate image of what Africans were like in the minds of many people. Had there been other movies made during that era(1940's-60's) that portrayed Africans more diversely and realistically then the affects of Tarzan on Africa's image would have been different.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:14 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
That is what I was saying, and you disagreed with me. It's a work of fiction about a boy adopted by a gorilla that takes part in a fictional country written by an author who never visited the region, let alone the continent. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

The movies were not written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. In his books, Tarzan was NOT adopted by a gorilla, he was adopted by Kala, a female Great Ape. Have you actually read any of Burroughs' books?

Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
As an African-American, I enjoyed the Tarzan movies. Jane, Boy, and Cheeta were all a hoot. And Johnny Weissmuller was an impressive hero.

But just like Superman and the Green Hornet, I recognized even as a child that this was fiction (suspension of disbelief and all that rot).

As an adult I see it as even more preposterous - and more than a little of a white ego trip, but still entertaining. A white man who thinks he is "King of the Jungle" that not really to much of a stretch is it? It would be interesting to see a series of Tarzan movies with the protagonist being of different races with stereotypes intact. What would we get?
  • An Asian King of the Beasts who can't drive his elephant straight?
  • A Hispanic Tarzan who spends all his time weeding the jungle?
  • A Black Lord of the Animals who can't find a loin cloth that is long enough?
Enjoy movies and other fiction, but be aware of what it is saying to your sub-conscience and filter that crap out.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-01-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The movies were not written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. In his books, Tarzan was NOT adopted by a gorilla, he was adopted by Kala, a female Great Ape. Have you actually read any of Burroughs' books?

Seriously?

Old 04-01-2017, 02:45 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
Seriously?

I'm not sure what you're questioning, but, yes, the Tarzan movies were not written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and are actually rather loosely based on his characters. Yes, the books did draw a distinction between the Great Apes, who referred to themselves as Mangani, and gorillas, who were referred to as Bolgani.

And, yes, I'd seriously like to know if you've ever read ANYTHING by Burroughs.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Big list of movies SET in Africa doesn't mean shot there but I wonder how many were? (I didn't) through all of them. Interesting to note Hotel Rwanda was indeed shot in Rwanda....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._set_in_Africa

Old 04-01-2017, 03:20 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
maybe this is move indicative of movies shot there?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_films

Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I'm not sure what you're questioning, but, yes, the Tarzan movies were not written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and are actually rather loosely based on his characters. Yes, the books did draw a distinction between the Great Apes, who referred to themselves as Mangani, and gorillas, who were referred to as Bolgani.

And, yes, I'd seriously like to know if you've ever read ANYTHING by Burroughs.

I'd like "picking a fight about nothing" for $500 please Alex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa