Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It would if you want to later set up a colonizing family (who ironically has the same names as the indigenous who you forced to adopt "Christian" names) to inherit ancestral lands that aren't theirs.

We aren't going to agree. I feel like I'm talking in circles now, which is my cue to exit.
Exit if you wish. You still have not provided evidence that African Americans are descendants of a people indigenous to North America. African Americans are finding DNA matches with modern Africans.

https://tracingafricanroots.wordpres...-the-diaspora/

All you have is a conspiracy theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
Of course I can. My Portuguese great-great grandfather is the cover of what I am and my main blood line. American ancestors don't count. Also what your majority percentage is, doesn't mean that's what you are either.
Genetically and genealogically there is no such thing as a main blood line. You have eight great grandparents ad share roughly equal amounts of DNA from each of them. If you want to feel Portuguese culturally, then have at it.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
So now blood line doesn't matter? ORLY? You folks are so darn good at changing narratives to suit you. It's an art! As I've said before: enjoy your mischief while you can. Some of your folks know what time it is.......

Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
So now blood line doesn't matter? ORLY? You folks are so darn good at changing narratives to suit you. It's an art! As I've said before: enjoy your mischief while you can. Some of your folks know what time it is.......
Who said that "blood line doesn't matter"?

He just pointed out that there is no such thing as a "main blood line", which is totally true.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
My family in Oklahoma always used to say that if a black man doesn't know who he is, the Native American will tell you, "you are just a black skinned white man." All the biology in the world doesn't really matter. If you get a blood transfusion do you now share the Ancestry and DNA of the person whose blood you got?

On a side note the terms; Afro-American, Negro, and Colored were all being used (in formal language) at the same time going back to at least 1895 to my knowledge.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Genetically and genealogically there is no such thing as a main blood line. You have eight great grandparents ad share roughly equal amounts of DNA from each of them. If you want to feel Portuguese culturally, then have at it.

The problem is he isn't familiar with the culture he claims to feel something but he doesn't even know how he fits in. How can he have loyalty to something he doesn't even know? Having a great great grandfather who was of Portuguese ancestry but hid and denied his roots doesn't make AzureKite Portuguese.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The problem is he isn't familiar with the culture he claims to feel something but he doesn't even know how he fits in. How can he have loyalty to something he doesn't even know? Having a great great grandfather who was of Portuguese ancestry but hid and denied his roots doesn't make AzureKite Portuguese.
I'm not sure if Jim in New Mexico wants to get involved in this merry-go-round of a ride, it might make his head spin!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm not sure if Jim in New Mexico wants to get involved in this merry-go-round of a ride, it might make his head spin!
No, that's pretty much all I have to say to him. He's also pursuing some nonsense in the genealogy forum.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
No, that's pretty much all I have to say to him. He's also pursuing some nonsense in the genealogy forum.
Yeah, his one thread was already closed over there, which I predicted, and I guess he has been banned not once but twice on the 23andMe forums according to Roselvr.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I am a Black American and have taken both the 23andme and AncestryDNA tests.

The test needs to be taken with a grain of salt for the following reasons:

1. Your results will probably vary between test companies. One company says that I'm 30% Nigerian while the other says that I'm only 1% Nigerian. One test also says that I'm 2% Native while the other says that I have zero native. The actual racial percentages have remained similar for each update.

2. They release updates changing your regional percentages.

3. Many neighboring countries don't have a category of their own due to shared history. So for example, is a Sierra Leonian took the test then Sierra Leone would not come up; only the neighboring regions would.

4. Africans of various tribes taken to the Americas have mixed with each other for centuries (as well with Europeans) so you will probably have a lot of lineage all throughout the places in Africa where slaves were sourced from.

Overall, the test is great at summarizing how much of each race you are (minus the tiny percentages). Its even great for people who are adopted and are looking for blood relatives. Im not adopted but I've had close family members pop up as relatives despite me not even knowing that they've taken the test but its not really that great for much more. Oh and the health portion of it can be good too.
I agree with regard to tests claiming to determine "nationality" versus racial group.

It's just as specious for whites trying to trace European nationalities.

There was a deal in the media a couple of years ago regarding some white triplets whose separate tests varied by a few percentage points in the amounts of "English" versus "Scottish."

Well, there's not a wall between England and Scotland. I suspect if any one of the triplets took repeated tests, the variation would be as great as it was between each of the triplets taking separate tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa