Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 648 times

Advertisements

The Mafa also called Mafahay, is an ethnic group localized in northern Cameroon, Northern Nigeria and also scattered in other countries like Mali, Chad, Sudan, Burkina Faso and Sierra Leone.
The Mafa belong to the Chadic language grouping.

My name is Jerry Nduvna from Gwoza Local Government Area Borno State.
Mafa (Maffa) can be found in 2 Northern States of Nigeria (Adamawa and Borno State)
In Adamawa State Mafa can be found in 4 Local Government Area of Adamawa which are Madagali, Mubi, Hong and Michika L.G.A
In Borno State Mafa can be found in 4 Local Government Area of Borno which are Bama, Konduga, Mongonu and Gwoza L.G.A

Nduvna Means
Nduvna, meaning the final answer to all circumstances.

What People call my tribe and where Mafa can be found in Nigeria
Mafa can be found in 2 States of Nigeria Adamawa State and Borno State.

Unique rites and cultures about MAFA ethnic group

Hospitality
Mafa people are very simple and accommodating, they believed that a visitor/guest is a blessing to them.

Mafa wedding is a less stress ceremony, once the couples agreed to get married to each other, the father of the boy can now approach the girl’s parents to properly show interest in their daughter, if the girl’s parent accept their proposal then the parent of the boy can proceed to pay the girl’s bride price and some other traditional requirements which is compulsory such as Mugwudi and a big Ram.
And In other ways the boy and girl can run away which is part of the tradition

Food
The mafa food is finger millet and the soups are Mokotub, Kileb, Mishi, Shasheb and Lak Baldav. Mokotub is the highly recommended soup among the Mafa soups which is mostly served to kings or elders in any Mafa ceremony and also to visitors. Mokotub is said to be the most delicious soup amongst all the Mafa soups that is why the Mafa people don’t joke with Mokotub.
Mokotub is a very simple soup to prepare when you have your groundnuts, dried fish, Enough Meats, a little spinach and pepper. With other necessary ingredients for soup….. Am not a woman so this is the little I know about Mokotub soup.

Funeral
when a person dies in Mafa Land it’s a tradition that youths will dress in our cultural attire to moan the deceased
And before a deceased is granted funeral rites his/her family members and friends must meet to plan the event. Execution of their plan starts immediately after the meeting. drinks will be bought and Pap though it’s base on the clans this is just the little I know about my own clan (Vreke) we have other clans that does their own in different way like the Zhelehi, Gaibihi, Zaruahi and Gwadalai

One thing I like about my tribe?
Noble Character
What I don’t like about my culture?
Alcohol is a like a tradition to them which I don’t like and they believed so much in farming to the extent some of them don’t think out of the box.
What I wish people will know about my culture
I wish the whole world can speak my language because it’s so simple, sweet and makes a whole lot of sense and I also wish the world will know about our annual event which is called Marai.
Mafa Proverb
AVUGNA VUGNA Meaning “Unity Is Strength”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:17 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Thanks for sharing can you post more information about your tribe. Do you have youtube videos and or images to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa