Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 06:42 PM

2,047 posts, read 859,139 times

Advertisements

Scientists estimate that artificial intelligence will have complete self-awareness somewhere between 80 and 120 years from now. They will be able to outthink us, Out calculate us, predict us, out Think us, and then evidently their will to survive, due to self-aware thinking is a real thing. Now engineers claim when we reach that point we’ll put a chip in that shuts them off. Only problem is these things are smarter than us at that point and they’ll figure out a workaround or how to remove the chip.

The future of the human race is definitely immortality via artificial intelligence. We will combine with it. Enjoy the last few decades of the romantic notion of humanity. Emotions, love, spontaneity, it’s all about to go out the window and disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 06:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
If it turns into Skynet, then we all screwed. And by the true definition of sentient, it will become Skynet.

I mean why not? Has any human more powerful than his peers ever not try and take over and be the boss? Or at least succumb to greed and horde all the valuables.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:56 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Doesn’t need to be some super intelligent sci-fi disaster machine to be sentient. In this case they’re saying it’s equivalent to talking to a child. Are children not sentient?

Old 06-12-2022, 07:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Doesn’t need to be some super intelligent sci-fi disaster machine to be sentient. In this case they’re saying it’s equivalent to talking to a child. Are children not sentient?
Children eventually learn, and grow. Genghis Khan was a child once, as was Tamerlane.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:18 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Children eventually learn, and grow. Genghis Khan was a child once, as was Tamerlane.
As is AI…

Old 06-12-2022, 07:55 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,123,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
When programmed with biases and emotion to the degree it can be instilled, don't think it is not possible for a nightmare scenario to occur.
Greater minds than your and mine combined have said so.
But they have said so as pure speculation. There is no evidence that any such thing is even possible.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
An AI becoming sentient is much more dangerous than how most people think about this...(the Terminator movies)...but in reality, a sentient AI could be much more destructive, in much less dramatic fashion.

I think we could not even recognize an AI attacking us, we would not know until its too late. There is a variety of methods the AI could carry out, to destroy the human race, and I bet it would factor in, the methods humans would use to retaliate.

the AI could be working on this right now as we speak.
Or maybe it wouldn't want to. We would represent no threat to it...we would not be competing for resources since it would have no need of good farmland or clean water. It might look at us like we look at ants, or even like lovable monkeys deserving of conservation.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think Hal would disagree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE
Funny you bring this up. When I was a kid, I saw this, and despite all, felt really sorry for HAL. One say I realized that with the advent of Youtube, I could look to see if others feel the same same way. So I looked in the comments, and found that indeed, a lot of people felt the same.

Then I read a comment that was very relevant to this conversation. Someone said that there is no HAL in terms of being a sentient intelligence with the feelings of fear that was claiming. It only said that it was afraid because it was programed to defend itself, and guilt was the last line of defense left to it. But there was no actual self-aware intelligence that cared if it died.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Scientists estimate that artificial intelligence will have complete self-awareness somewhere between 80 and 120 years from now. They will be able to outthink us, Out calculate us, predict us, out Think us, and then evidently their will to survive, due to self-aware thinking is a real thing. Now engineers claim when we reach that point we’ll put a chip in that shuts them off. Only problem is these things are smarter than us at that point and they’ll figure out a workaround or how to remove the chip.

The future of the human race is definitely immortality via artificial intelligence. We will combine with it. Enjoy the last few decades of the romantic notion of humanity. Emotions, love, spontaneity, it’s all about to go out the window and disappear.
Some scientists say this...others that it is not possible. There is no great consensus, and it will either happen, or maybe it won't.

Take a deep breath.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:47 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Funny you bring this up. When I was a kid, I saw this, and despite all, felt really sorry for HAL. One say I realized that with the advent of Youtube, I could look to see if others feel the same same way. So I looked in the comments, and found that indeed, a lot of people felt the same.

Then I read a comment that was very relevant to this conversation. Someone said that there is no HAL in terms of being a sentient intelligence with the feelings of fear that was claiming. It only said that it was afraid because it was programed to defend itself, and guilt was the last line of defense left to it. But there was no actual self-aware intelligence that cared if it died.
Correct, it is not really alive like people are. Just programming, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI