Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,383,734 times

Advertisements

I see 3 Akron post on this page today the moderators say there isnt enough Akron post about Akronto start one,how many post does it take?...or maybe if we change Akron to Crakron and start the towns name with a C it would consider Giving Akron its very own forum.
if they forum doesnt fly hit the delete button.....what do you say Moderators????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 06:32 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,712,896 times
Akron doesn't yet have enough traffic to warrant its own sub-forum. Believe me, the PA forum is FLOODED with inquiries about Harrisburg/Hershey/Carlisle and that immediate area of South Central Pennsylvania, but all of my inquiries as to whether or not we can have a Harrisburg city sub-forum or a regional South Central Pennsylvania sub-forum, similar to the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum have been denied or ignored. If a city as popular as Harrisburg can't get its own sub-forum, then what makes you think Akron will be getting one?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,867,165 times
The forum on this subject last month:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ron-forum.html

Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Akron doesn't yet have enough traffic to warrant its own sub-forum. Believe me, the PA forum is FLOODED with inquiries about Harrisburg/Hershey/Carlisle and that immediate area of South Central Pennsylvania, but all of my inquiries as to whether or not we can have a Harrisburg city sub-forum or a regional South Central Pennsylvania sub-forum, similar to the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum have been denied or ignored. If a city as popular as Harrisburg can't get its own sub-forum, then what makes you think Akron will be getting one?

what is the problem does someone sit on a throne and decides who gets what?
this is called city data, I can see where every little burg can not have a thread but the major cities of each state should have a thread, Akron/canton Toledo,Dayton,and even Youngstown these are "major cities in Ohio.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:00 PM

34 posts, read 141,826 times
Akron is the fifth largest city in the state...i would like to think that Toledo would get a thread before Akron.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
what is the problem does someone sit on a throne and decides who gets what?
this is called city data, I can see where every little burg can not have a thread but the major cities of each state should have a thread, Akron/canton Toledo,Dayton,and even Youngstown these are "major cities in Ohio.
I don't decide anything (Lord knows I wish I had the opportunity to give more input). If it were up to me there would be more city sub-forums for each state, as I think it makes it easier for folks to find more city-specific information when they are doing their relocation-oriented research. I've lobbied for a South Central PA sub-forum to include the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York/Carlisle region for quite some time now to no avail, and that area has MUCH more forum activity than Akron. Then again the Tri-Cities of WA have their own sub-forum, as does Syracuse, NY, and neither of those two sub-forums have really "taken off" yet.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 AM

how difficult is it, is it a finacial hurtle? and who do we lobby too? this website is a great website for sure but it could be so much better thanks for the effort!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I have no idea how the moderation bit works, but does it cost a moderator his first born child to make an Akron forum? What's the big deal?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have no idea how the moderation bit works, but does it cost a moderator his first born child to make an Akron forum? What's the big deal?
I was told in the past that new sub-forums are only created when there is enough traffic on the main state forum to warrant the split. I successfully lobbied for two sub-forums in my own state---Northeastern PA and Lehigh Valley, but my third sub-forum suggestion for South Central PA (or Harrisburg) has been rejected routinely due to insufficient forum activity. I just cruised through the first few pages of the Ohio state forum. There aren't that many concerning Akron.

What you need is one particular "prolific" poster to rant and rave about Akron until the point where it generates enough discussion and enough new members from that area to finally warrant the sub-forum's creation. I'll admit that my never-ending diatribes about Scranton made it feasible for an NEPA sub-forum. A few posters such as TooBusyToday, KristyLiz, and EmmausRocks have carried the Lehigh Valley sub-forum. I predict that Marodi and DanWXMan would both help to get a new Harrisburg city sub-forum off the ground. Do you really have a major Akron-booster on here that could "carry" this new sub-forum until it gets well-established?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,033,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I don't decide anything (Lord knows I wish I had the opportunity to give more input). If it were up to me there would be more city sub-forums for each state, as I think it makes it easier for folks to find more city-specific information when they are doing their relocation-oriented research. I've lobbied for a South Central PA sub-forum to include the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York/Carlisle region for quite some time now to no avail, and that area has MUCH more forum activity than Akron. Then again the Tri-Cities of WA have their own sub-forum, as does Syracuse, NY, and neither of those two sub-forums have really "taken off" yet.
Have to say I agree w/you, there is one here in SC that I go huh? why do they have there own forum? I'm referring to York-Lancaster Counties, and while Rock Hill/Lancaster area is growing, they are part of the Charlotte MSA, if I think Rock Hill, I think Charlotte. They are not even close in size to Akron, Toledo, or the central-PA region you are referring too - combined they have about 265k people. The only thing I can think of is b/c Rock Hill is across the state line from Charlotte was it able to get one, other than that, makes no sense to me. We have 5 forums here in SC, while Greenville, Columbia, & Charleston are justified, not sure about York or the Myrtle Beach forums (I'm guessing Myrtle Beach got one due to the millions of tourists a year it gets) when you have so many other large cities around the country without one. Meanwhile, Ohio has 3, and it's state is more than double the population we have here in SC. I think it would be beneficial to see an Akron/Canton, Toledo, Dayton & Youngstown all have their own forums. I guess I don't understand the rational behind how the forums are set or who makes that decision.

Don't feel bad though Akron, there are a lot of other large cities that don't have their own forums like Hartford, Des Moines, Honolulu & Little Rock to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton