Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times

Advertisements

I miss the lakes (inland and GLs) and Cleveland's metro parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,987 times
mmm not easy to say
i am international student " akron university "
actually i am missing my home now " Saudi Arabia "
but for sure if i went back to my home i will miss the great people here in ohio .. you guys are really friendly and respectful..
also i will miss lakewood parks . metro parks turkey feet lake .. the great shopping malls ..
the delicious food also will be missing like longhorn restaurants ..olive garden ..
i will miss the time when my bones freez in ohio winter .. thats tough now .. but i am sure i will miss it.." we dont have snow there .. its the first time for me to see it ... lol "

Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
I moved from Ohio to Memphis 2 years ago and I only miss a few things. I miss going to Cleveland to watch sports. Indians game were the best even if they weren't doing so great. And it was always fun to get tickets to a baseball game and be able to go to a Cavs game right after. I do miss fall. Here, it seems like everything is green one day then a couple days of rain come thru and all the leaves are gone. I always loved fall in Ohio.
Other than that, eww, I do not miss it at all. I don't miss the 6 months of cold weather. Driving 12 hours to go to the coast. Everyones depressed attitudes. Nothing ever seems to change. Blah.

And like I always tell my boyfriend (he moved with me)... If you really miss it that bad, most of the people and things will be there forever so you can always go back and visit or even move back if you really miss it. I just think that people from Ohio are generally never willing to leave. Get out and see what else there is and don't live your life in a bubble!
I don't like the 6 months of cold either, but what about the 6 months of it's-so-hot-I'm-gonna-die weather in Memphis? BTW it's 85 degrees here now.

12 hours to reach the coast? 1st of all Cleveland is ON a coast, and I can get to the East Coast in 8 hours.

Ohio is known for people leaving, not staying, unfortunately. Most of the college graduates leave and many looking for better jobs or weather move elsewhere, then retirees move to the south.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Well I am staying.

And to tell you the truth, Ohio's quality of life, economy, fortune 500 companies, college system and school system, history, etc etc etc is hard to beat by the majority of states.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM

174 posts, read 590,671 times
Left a long time ago. What I miss:
Fall, Spring, Summer--in that order
Virginia Kendall Park
Portage Lakes (all the other lakes, too)
Crunch-coat ice cream cones at Water Works Park
Muffled sounds due to all the foliage and atmosphere
Lightning bugs

Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
I'll start w/ food.
1. Swenson's double cheese w/ ketchup only & potato teasers w/ ranch.
2. Barberton chicken. You have to love it, even if it's bad for ya. lol
3. Regina's pizza
4. Luigi's pizza & salad (I love the dressing =)
5. B-dubs, aka, BW3, aka Buffalo Wild Wings. I so miss wings.
6. Arthur Treachers (yes, I love & miss them, no one uses malt vinegar out here lol)
Other stuff. lol
1. Use of the word 'pop'. I know it's strange, but that is one thing I really do miss. lol Soda sounds, well, not good. lol
2. Euchre!!!!! No one freaking knows what it is out here. =-(
3. Cavs games at the Richfield Coliseum.
4. Fall hiking spree & all the trails.
5. I miss people's love of sports. In Utah, people claim to 'love' sports, but, really don't know jack about sports.
6. I do miss green from Ohio, but not the humidity. lol

Most of all I miss my family & friends, but, I figured that was inevitable. I also miss my old house in Springfield Twp/Lakemore.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM

83 posts, read 185,378 times
If you left Ohio, what do you think you would miss the most?[/quote]From what I have been reading, it seems alot of people want to leave Ohio. I am getting ready to move there! Are the wages that bad?? All over California, the cost of living even in smaller towns is above average, where most of Ohio it lists as under average, for the most part. I guess it's the weather in Ohio that also makes people leave. I don't know, I so far, seem to really like Ohio and look forward to moving there!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I'll start w/ food.
1. Swenson's double cheese w/ ketchup only & potato teasers w/ ranch.
2. Barberton chicken. You have to love it, even if it's bad for ya. lol
3. Regina's pizza
4. Luigi's pizza & salad (I love the dressing =)
5. B-dubs, aka, BW3, aka Buffalo Wild Wings. I so miss wings.
6. Arthur Treachers (yes, I love & miss them, no one uses malt vinegar out here lol)
Other stuff. lol
1. Use of the word 'pop'. I know it's strange, but that is one thing I really do miss. lol Soda sounds, well, not good. lol
2. Euchre!!!!! No one freaking knows what it is out here. =-(
4. Fall hiking spree & all the trails.
5. I miss people's love of sports. In Utah, people claim to 'love' sports, but, really don't know jack about sports.
6. I do miss green from Ohio, but not the humidity. lol

Most of all I miss my family & friends, but, I figured that was inevitable. I also miss my old house in Springfield Twp/Lakemore.
Sounds like the winter and humidity is the thing I guess that's the worst of Ohio, and the inner city gangs, but all states have that problem. I plan on living in the country!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post

That wouldn't matter whether you still lived in Ohio or not as obviously the Cavs haven't played there in 16 years and the arena has been demolished.

Springfield Twp. has really struggled, their schools were being discussed as possibly being taken over by the state last I heard as they've been unable to pass levies.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
so your moving to Savannah? well it is a beautiful city with great history and old south charm ....BUT!
you will become a prisoner to your air conditioner after 10 A.M. fall ,winter and spring will seem so much better than Akron but the summer will be brutal.
I moved back to Akron for the pleasant Spring, summer, and Fall. then I pack up and head south for the nasty winters,I dont miss them one bit.
If you get your yard work done in the early morning hours you should be alright with car AC and AC at stores.
some folks seem to feel the hotter the better maybe your one of the few.
you have a nice little town across the river called Beaufort NC and Charleston is about an hour or so away with great old buildings.
all in all it is a very nice area to live in just learn how to say Y'all, hArrAcun (hurricane), and dont forget to mash the button dont press it !
I would rather have a long cold winter than deal with a long, humid, hot summer! You can ALWAYS snuggle up to the fireplace or put an extra coat on! Look forward to moving to the Buckeye state! California and it's attitudes suck! Can't wait to move out! Been here too long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton