Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

Today, we drove 1 1/2 hours south to Jekyll Island to the Shrimp and Grits Festival. It was cool (about 75 degrees). Although we are (sadly) sort of over being pathetically grateful for every sunny day, and we have started to miss the crisp autumn, apple farms, pumpkins, etc, etc. we still are enjoying the variety of things to see and do here. What I mean is, I would love Ohio, if only the winter could be elimanated, and there were an abundance of free activities.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-17-2011 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
That wouldn't matter whether you still lived in Ohio or not as obviously the Cavs haven't played there in 16 years and the arena has been demolished.

Springfield Twp. has really struggled, their schools were being discussed as possibly being taken over by the state last I heard as they've been unable to pass levies.
I know, I went to the coliseum in high school w/ my girls many moons ago. =( I just miss it being in the country, so we could go, get seats & autographs as kids. lol

Doesn't surprise me. Glad I left Springfield Twp/Lakemore, even if I miss my home. lol

Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times
well fall is here! we have wet cool overcast icky days, hurry up leaves and fall, nothing better than looking at palm trees in december !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
well fall is here! we have wet cool overcast icky days, hurry up leaves and fall, nothing better than looking at palm trees in december !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We've had wetter-than-usual weather this year, but I love fall almost as much as spring. So, bring on the cool weather!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I do have to say, ITA w/ this. Can't wait for our fall color in the mountains, & valley (more yellow there, more orange & red up high) . I wouldn't be happy if I were sweating in December. My aunt always 'teases' me w/ the temps they have in West Palm Beach, FL. I don't have the heart to tell her I'd rather cut my foot off than sweat through a FL summer. lol Hubby was begged to move to Dallas & Atlanta for work, & I fought it. I hate humidity. =P

I do miss fall in Ohio. It is gorgeous there! =)

Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 PM

780 posts, read 1,578,061 times
Well, I guess I can officially weigh in on this subject. After being born & bred in Ohio for 40+ years, never living further than 15 miles away from my birthplace, I left Ohio in June for the Portland area of Oregon.

Things I miss about Ohio (no order):
- high school sports. The sports scene here is very, very lame. Although when you have the incredible natural realm, I can understand why organized sports takes a back seat. Heck, even with the surge in the University of Oregon's football prowess, college sports are pathetic compared to something like Ohio State.

- lack of pro sports. Especially evident now that the Blazers are absent.

- no amusement parks. Well, Oregon & Washington have a couple, but they'rea joke next to things like Cedar Point.

- a fantastic school district like we had in Jackson Local. We currently live in one of the best districts in Oregon, and it is no match for Jackson's educational system.

- Chick-Fil-A. The closest one is in northern Washington, six hours away.

- donuts. Seriously - there are like no decent donuts here. Voodoo might be great, but it's always got a huge wait to get into it, so I've yet to have it.

- the #1 thing? My family & friends. I miss them dearly.

How about what I do NOT miss? Here goes:

- oppressive heat & humidity. I heard about the 100 degree days this summer. I am always hotter than most people, and heat/humidity makes for a miserable combination for me. Out here in PDX land, MOST homes don't have A/C, including ours. In fear of what lay ahead, we bought a portable unit - yet I only needed it for about two weeks, because when it's hot out here, it's also a virtual desert. Humidity in the summer, during the hottest part of the day, only gets to about 25%, and low temps never get above 65 at night.

- on the opposite end of the spectrum - oppressive cold & snow. Portland averages 2-4" of snow per year. While it may be cool/dreary for 9 months out of the year, I doubt I'll ever need a winter coat.

- lack of natural scenery. I worked the last 12 years next to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and it absolutely falls flat when on clear days, I see Mt. Hood on my commute to/from work. I've been here since June and have already gone on countless stunning hikes. Within one hour of our home in SE Portland, I can easily see spot five mountains in excess of 10,000' (okay, four now - since Mt. St. Helens decided to chop 3k off her height in 1980). And in that hour, I can physically be on one of them (Hood).

We still have fall, but it comes a bit later out here. Our trees in the Willamette valley our just now starting to turn colors.

Also, the people here are equally as friendly in Ohio.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,379,529 times
I left ohio 5 years ago for Colorado. I miss my grandmother, but that's it.

I don't miss being waist deep in snow, the low paying jobs, and cities that look like the aftermath of a nuclear disaster.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM

59 posts, read 201,784 times
I feel the same exact way. Only I sold my home in Ohio, moved to SC near the beach (lived with relatives) and looked for work-it was so low paying I laughed during the interview. Then I applied in NE OHIO and got the job right away, moved back, and just got laid off a few weeks ago
I am glad to be with friends, family, city, change of seasons and if I could, I"d leave 4 months -during the winter mess...........and return for Spring, Summer, and Fall. I love the Fall! Pumkins, Apple Cider stands, crisp apples at Beckwith Farms, etc. etc. I can't retire, if I could, I'd be a snowbird.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM

59 posts, read 201,784 times
Do you guys have "jojo's"?? LOL

SC - I ordered pizza and chicken , I asked for JoJo's and they thought I was nuts!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 PM

780 posts, read 1,578,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vg66 View Post
Do you guys have "jojo's"?? LOL

SC - I ordered pizza and chicken , I asked for JoJo's and they thought I was nuts!
Yes, Ohio definitely has jojo's. Potato wedges that are seasoned & deep fried or baked. Mmmm...sounds good right about now, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton