Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
I would rather have a long cold winter than deal with a long, humid, hot summer! You can ALWAYS snuggle up to the fireplace or put an extra coat on! Look forward to moving to the Buckeye state! California and it's attitudes suck! Can't wait to move out! Been here too long!

Hello, and welcome! Best of luck in your move.

I made the move to the Buckeye state two years ago, and have really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Ok, so I've moved to GA and I must say thatso far, I'm enjoying the constant sunshine so much I haven't had the time to miss Ohio yet.
I wish they had Swensons galley boys here.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
how true about the swensons withdrawl...I tried making burgers with brown sugar, and velveta cheese to satisfy my urges........get ready for late july and august whew

Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 AM

17 posts, read 99,517 times
I would miss the cost of living. You can get so much house for the money, even in a super safe neighborhood. I love the arts community of downtown Kent.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM

28 posts, read 82,510 times
Oh my gosh. I can give a great answer because I DID leave Ohio for California and am now trying to get back!
1) Cuyahoga Valley National Park. That whole area is a jewel that has been kept beautifully insulated from the areas around it. Yes, I have seen all the parks here in CA... but the woods and wilds of Ohio have such a calm, understated beauty.
2) Szlays... and their fall harvest!!
3) Maple Sugar Candy and the smell of the maple sugar cooking. acrid and sweet at the same time.
4) Saurkraut Balls from OnTap in Cuyahoga Falls... YUM!
5) I am agreeing with the poster on this one... the doctors at Cleveland Clinic. I kept mine until he retired last year.. flew back and forth from CA to see him!
6) Ok this last one... I know that many of you will scoff and protest... The snow! And the Cold!! And the three to four months with practically no sun! I miss that so much I could cry right now. When it gets cold everyone lights fires and clusters together in cosy little groups. Not to mention that having the dark months is like a seasonal reset button for me. It marks the end and the beginning simultaniously. I have been in CA for 6 years.. but without the dark months and with the constant insessant sun, it feel like one Loooooooooooong year.
Sigh. I miss ohio. you all are so lucky.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
new mcgee great point about the saurerkraut balls.
is the Akron / Cleveland area the only place to serve saurerkraut balls?
I asked butcher's in a grocery stores in several cities around the country if they had saurerkraut balls.......the looked puzzled so I told them keep your apron on and no one will know!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM

28 posts, read 82,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
new mcgee great point about the saurerkraut balls.
is the Akron / Cleveland area the only place to serve saurerkraut balls?
I asked butcher's in a grocery stores in several cities around the country if they had saurerkraut balls.......the looked puzzled so I told them keep your apron on and no one will know!
Well, so far I have found nobody in either northern or southern california that has heard or had sauerkraut balls... of course usually I have to first begin by explaining what sauerkraut is.... and THEN I have to defend the idea of people eating cabbage that has been brined...

I am fighting a losing battle. I did find some recipes online, although they were not as good and were of course off of a Northeast Ohio website.

Also... people are right about swensons!!! I came back to Ohio to get married in Cuyahoga Falls at the Pilgrim Church of Christ and the day of the wedding after we got our hair done, I took all my bridemaids to swensons for galley boys. I had my veil and hair done.. eating a hamburger. My girls all threatened to move to Ohio with me just for swensons!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
What I miss most from Akron area (in no particular order):
1. Green grass and rolling hills (even the grass in the winter up there is greener than it is here in the summer on the coast)
2. Local restaurants: Swensons/Skyway; Luigi's; Parassons; Rockne's; Mr. Hero (romanburgers!); Barberton chicken/hot sauce/oil & vinegar cole slaw (but I have the recipes for all these and can now make them here at home), Sweet Henry's & Loyal Oak Tavern (Norton); On Tap, Hibachi, Emidio & Sons (Falls), Brubaker's Pub & Otani (the Valley); Diamond Grille; drunken Christmas parties at Tangiers; Hamburger Station
3. Frozen custard (Stricklands on Triplett)
4. Blossom Music Center concerts and the Cuyahoga Valley area
5. Stores: Gabriel Brothers (cheap clothes); Buehlers, Acme & Devitis (cheaper grocery prices & higher quality than here)
6. Huge antique malls with good prices (New Philly, Medina, Columbus)
7. Cheap housing & cheap insurance rates (both house & auto)
8. Highway system with an easy drive to Chicago/Indy/NYC/Pittsbgh/Toronto (yes, I know the traffic cone is the OH state seal, but the overall highway/turnpike system is much better than here)
9. Portage Lakes, Mohican, West Branch, and Salt Fork State Parks (fishing & canoeing)
10. Downtown Akron on a Saturday night
11. Friendly, accepting and warm people (for the most part)
12. My old job and co-workers before I got laid off back in the '90s
13. Fairs and outdoor festivals. Nothing like hitting Rockin' on the River after work at 5pm in the Falls.
14. Drive-thru's where you can buy beer, pop, chips & cigs without getting out of your car (a rarity in the South)
15. Long-time friends and family
16. Snow at Christmas

What I don't miss:
1. Higher property taxes
2. Local city taxes taken out of your paycheck
3. Huge pot holes in the road that could take out an axle or bust a strut
4. Three or more consecutive dark & cloudy days
5. Short growing season (compared to the south)
6. Black ice
7. Tornado warnings
Nice, I agree w/ mostly all of those. lol I live in Utah, so, 'brew thru's', no. lol It is very sunny here, but I do miss the green of Ohio. I miss the food & my family & friends. Ohio is a wonderful place, but, now that I'm used to the dry climate of Utah, all I do is sweat when I go back to Ohio. lol

I miss the words jojo's, sweeper, devil strip, pop, 'Coga Falls', as we say it. I miss Lawson's chip dip, malt vinegar drowned fish & chips.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
We went back for a visit and enjoyed the well scrubbed Amish kids in Walmart again, however we had one day to do something fun with our hosts and nobody could think of anything to do that we hadn't done a few times before. It was pretty there though.
Here in Savannah, the heat keeps us imprisoned most of the time. I'm really missing my budget geothermal electic bill in Ohio. We have free things to do here every weekend, and we can't wait until fall when the Ohioans are freezing and we're running around in sweaters.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,341 times
For me, it would be the land. I love the rolling hills, the amazing autumn foliage, the smell of the woodburning stoves in the winter....I feel very rooted in Ohio, and have lived elsewhere and always come back. There is just something about this land that speaks to me as a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton