Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Keeper, please let me know if you want to move it to another thread. Thank you. As the current situation pertains considerably to AL I put it here.

I am a gardener who had to downsize from acreage to gardenhome. The gras is almost gone. My husband gave up his desperate fight for his right to fertilize, water and cut and start the circle all over. Some flowers, some shrubs but mostly edible pretties and a vegetable garden hidden behind a fence. It feeds us and some too. My plants and gardening has spread. Several of our Japanese neighbors have thriving vegetable gardens with local and exotic produce, others stuck a tomatoe plant between the flowers.

Shelby County asks for limited handwatering as the resevoirs are low. No problem. My husband mass-produced PVC pipe connectors with a bit of drip hose for air conditioners (2-3 buckets per day) and handed out buckets to catch cold water in showers. Sounds ridiculous but multiply it by 30+ and it saves a plant or two.

I ripped out everything but some herbs we moved from house to house and peppers. Flowers and shrubs get handwatered every couple of days and the water bill has not changed. The fittest survive. Wisteria and pears are blooming. Kind of cute - pears ready to harvest and blooms on the same tree.

Wilsonville, a small community on 280 between Birmingham and Harpersville/Opelika is about to loose their water supply. The city well has gone dry.

Is it so hard for homeowners not to run sprinkler systems to the point of washing the street? Shelby County does not penalize extra useage - yet.

Even in our neighborhood the owners association aka mafia
(ok I am in trouble for slander!) waters gras every day. No return calls! They put in a new system?!?

Is it so hard to chip in, do your small part until this misery comes to an end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,792,066 times
It's incredible to me to read this, being in California where we get maybe 12 inches of rain a year on average, yet city after city after city after city of people as far as you can imagine, all water their lawns to keep a crisp green all year long, even in 110 degree dry heat. Not to mention that some cities will fine you if your lawn starts to turn brown. We basically get all our water from other states. I hate it. I would love to re-landscape to xeriscaping (drought resistant), but my husband has always had a strong feeling about having grass for kids. One thing I'm always told from people who live in the south who now live in California is that we will be amazed at how easy it is to grow things compared to here in California. Hopefully your drought won't go on much longer so I can actually witness the fertility!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
My poor grass is crunchy now and my tomatoes haven't are small and haven't produced much at all not to mention the g.peppers and okra I planted at the same time havent done a thing. Of course it might be the person who planted them too. I am watering the some of my flowers every couple of days.
Do you think the drought followed me up here from FL?
I just hope we don't end up having what OK and TX are having after their drought.
We all need to just do our part not to over water. I agree

Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
We have not yet had water rationing since we're on the Tennessee River, but it's expensive to water every day! I try to water the yard in the evening, right before dusk. It won't hurt my feelings a bit if the Dallis grass and invasive bermuda die! Anything that was growing has quit and is just trying to survive. My tomatoes have about given up, even with daily hand watering...the air is so dry.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM

37 posts, read 204,351 times
In Madison, well before we were asked to reduce/stop watering, we stopped. Our grass was surviving until temps hit 100+ for over a week. Now it's brown and crunchy. Shrubs and trees have not died (yet) but some appear close.

South of B'ham, our lawn is newer and in much worse condition. B'ham Water Works charges a 300% penalty for "excess" use. Even if we had not stopped watering out of a desire to conserve, that penalty would have convinced us.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM

My husband dragged three Japanese maples in huge pots with us for the last four moves. They were presents from us to us for very special occasions. Daily watering does not do the trick anymore. Stress is setting in :>)

Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
We have a well. As long as we don't use more than 50 or 60 gallons a day, it runs fine, and we could extend the pipes down another 10 feet or so if it started to be a problem. The plants we brought with us are doing OK. Watering grass in the country isn't a requirement. People expect to see the land reflect the conditions.

I'm glad we don't have to deal with the restrictions of a municipal water system. Oh yeah, we have a small year-round stream if we get desperate, but it is better for the most part to let nature take its course. That was part of the reason for our moving rural.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
My husband dragged three Japanese maples in huge pots with us for the last four moves. They were presents from us to us for very special occasions. Daily watering does not do the trick anymore. Stress is setting in :>)
Are you spritzing/spraying them with water? That might help, especially at night.
Thank God for air conditioning!...as long as the power plants can run...and even Browns Ferry is having trouble keeping up with demand...

Old 08-22-2007, 02:37 PM

37 posts, read 204,351 times
Southlander:
Quote:
even Browns Ferry is having trouble keeping up with demand...
Didn't I read that one reactor was shut down because the water from the TN river used to cool it is too hot? I seem to recall that the water temp got over 90, exceeding their limit.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We have a well. As long as we don't use more than 50 or 60 gallons a day, it runs fine, and we could extend the pipes down another 10 feet or so if it started to be a problem. The plants we brought with us are doing OK. Watering grass in the country isn't a requirement. People expect to see the land reflect the conditions.

I'm glad we don't have to deal with the restrictions of a municipal water system. Oh yeah, we have a small year-round stream if we get desperate, but it is better for the most part to let nature take its course. That was part of the reason for our moving rural.
Unfortunately we cannot do that yet. Yes, I have the old houseplans and very good intentions. Five more years and Hobbit House may be a town house:>)
Looking for acreage - either enough for a gras strip or within reasonable driving distance for my other half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama