Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times

Advertisements

harry chickpea = "Isn't the state Department of Education controlled by democrats?"

No. The Superintendent is appointed by the Governor.

The elected State Board of Education is majority Republican. 3 of the 4 Districts on the ballot this year were won by the GOP (District 1, 3, and 7 are GOP; District 5 Montgomery is Democrat). Districts 2, 6, and 8 are GOP; District 4 Birmingham is Democrat.

The AEA teachers union is a Democratic Party controlled organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Don't expect Colorado mountain streams.
I know of some in NW Alabama. Beautiful, they are.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
We retired in NE Alabama (Sand Mountain) after planning years to be in Florida. After looking in Florida, Sand Mountain looked pretty good.
A, We are an hour and 20 minutes from Birmingham, an hour and 10 minutes from Huntsville, 55 minutes to Chattanooga, less than 2 hours to Atlanta.
B, Both Gadsden and Huntsville have excellent doctors and hospitals.
C, Taxes are LOW, even lower for those over 65!
D, People are friendly and our area is extremely free from crime.
E, If you need something fixed or repaired, easy to find very reasonable contractors or repairmen.
F, The Alabama beaches are just over 5 hours away, Florida's 6.
G, Homes are very reasonable compared to other areas, easy to find a nice house for $80 something dollars a foot.
H, Many lakes and streams in the area, if you like to fish there are many opportunities.
As far as the complaint's posted, if you look most are political in nature. No matter where you live, if one looks hard enough, issues can be found. Some people always have their glass half empty and are miserable no matter where they live. My wife and I have lived in many parts of the country including PR during our marriage, we enjoyed each and every place including now on Sand Mountain.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 AM

18 posts, read 58,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
We retired in NE Alabama (Sand Mountain) after planning years to be in Florida. After looking in Florida, Sand Mountain looked pretty good.
A, We are an hour and 20 minutes from Birmingham, an hour and 10 minutes from Huntsville, 55 minutes to Chattanooga, less than 2 hours to Atlanta.
B, Both Gadsden and Huntsville have excellent doctors and hospitals.
C, Taxes are LOW, even lower for those over 65!
D, People are friendly and our area is extremely free from crime.
E, If you need something fixed or repaired, easy to find very reasonable contractors or repairmen.
F, The Alabama beaches are just over 5 hours away, Florida's 6.
G, Homes are very reasonable compared to other areas, easy to find a nice house for $80 something dollars a foot.
H, Many lakes and streams in the area, if you like to fish there are many opportunities.
As far as the complaint's posted, if you look most are political in nature. No matter where you live, if one looks hard enough, issues can be found. Some people always have their glass half empty and are miserable no matter where they live. My wife and I have lived in many parts of the country including PR during our marriage, we enjoyed each and every place including now on Sand Mountain.

Very true

Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Big Medicine - Birmingham has a VA hospital. Chattanooga TN has an outpatient clinic.

Facilities in Alabama - Locations
Thanks for putting this out there. DH is a marine so this is great info to have!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM

I'm also wondering how my pets will take to the climate and hazards. I have a big Lab and a Very small Toy Fox Terrier who does like to explore outside. The little guy is mostly a house dog, but he does enjoy the outdoors. I'm concerned about snakes mostly. also are heartworms a problem? We dont have any posinous snakes here on the coast, so it will be something they will have to adapt to. Not sure how that will work out. I never had a pet when I lived there.

T

Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
If you plan on living in the country, be aware that there are coyotes, foxes, and the like. I would strongly suggest a chain link fenced area. Also... loose dogs that worry livestock can be shot on sight. Dogs do tend to pack together, or an individual will get drawn into a pack of coyotes, who will then attack it. Dogs outside will get ticks.

Some dogs seem to be ok with small territorial boundaries around a home. They stand a much better chance.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 AM

We have been living in the country for 15 years. Out here it's bears,coons,fox,and mountain lions mostly and a lot of them. I'm not really worried about furry animals its the ones that slither or crawl. I guess it will be a learning curve for them. I'm hoping they wont get bit fiquring it out.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Rattlesnakes and copperheads and water mocassins are the slithering critters to watch out for. Black widow and brown recluse spiders are the creepy crawlies to be careful about.

One of attractions of NE Alabama is the bio-diversity - lots of different trees and fish.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
To me the main difference from CA is the poisonous snakes. I don't get many where I am, but people more in the country tell many tales of poisonous snake encounters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama