Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How can you be Muslim and non religious at the same time? That would be like me saying I'm Christian and non religious. Can't have it both ways.
I was raised Christian but am agnostic. I was thinking he meant something along those lines. As in, he was raised Muslim but does not practice the religion currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Are you quite mad? In today's climate of manufactured hate, a person with your belief system should avoid the south. Especially Alabama...though Mississippi would be a worse choice.
You DO realize it isn't 1965 anymore, right? I know there are still folks out there that think Alabama and Mississippi are still racist states, but they've moved on.. and quite a while ago. You should visit and get a refresher on your take on both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:43 PM

534 posts, read 904,893 times
Default Thank Jesus that i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I was raised Christian but am agnostic. I was thinking he meant something along those lines. As in, he was raised Muslim but does not practice the religion currently.

You DO realize it isn't 1965 anymore, right? I know there are still folks out there that think Alabama and Mississippi are still racist states, but they've moved on.. and quite a while ago. You should visit and get a refresher on your take on both states.
Just moved after living there for 7 LONG years of JESUS, FOOTBALL, and more JESUS a all the time. Gov Bentley is a prime example; upon his first inaugural adress actually said "if your not Christian, you are not my brother". What a good example of a state leader being inclusive of all the citizens of that sad beligered state.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:00 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
So I'll be moving to Alabama in a few days and I was wondering about the dating situation down there. I come from a muslim background (although I'm not religious) and was wondering how much women in Alabama would be open to dating a muslim? My only experience living in the south was when I lived in Georgia for a few years when I was a kid. And well I didn't really fit in. I know that the south has a pretty bad history when it comes to race relations and interracial relationships. If the women in Alabama aren't willing to date a black man I'm not sure how open they would be to a muslim man.

So what are the chances down there for a muslim man?
Mobile and Birmingham have a pretty good mix of cultural diversity. Mobile is a subtropical port city that has a small Muslim community; we also get refugees and new international residents all of the time. There's a pretty good mix. Some are here to work and play; some are here to study. Birmingham has a Muslim population of over twenty percent and is one of the cities in Alabama with a significant history of cultural diversity.

Check out the websites:

http://www.islamiccenterofmobile.org/ for info on Muslim communities in Mobile and surrounding areas.

The Birmingham Islamic Society | BIS for info on Muslim communities in Birmingham...

Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Just moved after living there for 7 LONG years of JESUS, FOOTBALL, and more JESUS a all the time. Gov Bentley is a prime example; upon his first inaugural adress actually said "if your not Christian, you are not my brother". What a good example of a state leader being inclusive of all the citizens of that sad beligered state.
It really depends on which part of Alabama you move to. Around here those communities of radicals exist peacefully among large communities of moderates and small communities of atheists, agnostics, and various other faiths. If you want to get a really good view of people whose faith, whatever it may be, is alive and well move to Alabama. We are not the white-washed trailer trash the media likes to pretend we are, thankfully. We are a state full of rich history that embraces cultural and religious diversity; at least the larger cities have this philosophy. I can't speak for the smaller towns; they do tend to be more cliquish.

For that matter, though, what's wrong with a man worshipping Jesus or enjoying football? As long as he remembers his neighbor may not, there is nothing wrong with it. You'll sometimes be surprised how much you have in common with people who seem dramatically different from you if you get to know them. You know what they say, variety is the spice of life. It's all of these cultures living and working together that make a city unique. Here we have mosques, churches, and Buddhist temples. There's plenty of opportunity for a person to educate and enlighten himself.

Last edited by krmb; 11-22-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
It really depends on which part of Alabama you move to. Around here those communities of radicals exist peacefully among large communities of moderates and small communities of atheists, agnostics, and various other faiths. If you want to get a really good view of people whose faith, whatever it may be, is alive and well move to Alabama. We are not the white-washed trailer trash the media likes to pretend we are, thankfully. We are a state full of rich history that embraces cultural diversity; at least the larger cities have this philosophy. I can't speak for the smaller towns; they do tend to be more cliquish.
To your point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et0ho20CJIM

Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Okay, I admit I might be displaying a little chutzpah by replying to your post since I don't live anywhere near Alabama, but hey, I saw your question, and I'm just going to offer a general suggestion.

I live in a pretty diverse area where there is a pretty strong Muslim presence, however, I've worked with Muslim born people who are not religious as well, marrying out of their faith etc.

My suggestion is to focus on finding groups and hobby's that aren't focused on religion. Find a meet up group that might appeal to your other interests like books, hiking, science etc.

My husband and I are Star Trek nerds for instance, and we know we can always find a fan group somewhere.

I'm sure some locals will pipe in with local suggestions and give you more meaningful answers as pertains to the beautiful state of Alabama.

Cheers!
p.s. for a pinch of credibility, I have to mention we had a downstairs neighbor who was from Alabama and he was awesome! He was always bringing us gumbo or fried tomatoes, and was fixing things for us etc. Southern people have always been known for friendliness, and he sure lived up to that reputation.
I'm in the same camp - not from the Heart of Dixie, but saw the question and had to answer. You MIGHT find some people are anti-Muslim in Alabama, but as Podo suggested... find some groups with similar interests. Once you find groups with similar interests, you'll have an easier time making friends. Since you're not really religious, you probably won't have a problem in Alabama or the Bible Belt.

And Southern people are known for their friendliness and charm. I'm a Yankee and much prefer it down South (and Midwest). Good luck and cheers!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 AM

408 posts, read 722,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm in the same camp - not from the Heart of Dixie, but saw the question and had to answer. You MIGHT find some people are anti-Muslim in Alabama, but as Podo suggested... find some groups with similar interests. Once you find groups with similar interests, you'll have an easier time making friends. Since you're not really religious, you probably won't have a problem in Alabama or the Bible Belt.

And Southern people are known for their friendliness and charm. I'm a Yankee and much prefer it down South (and Midwest). Good luck and cheers!
I've always been fascinated by this impression people have of southern people, of them being polite and friendly, especially since they're history of slavery and segregation would give people the impression that Southerners are all jerks. So how do you reconcile this? Southern politeness along with their backward political views (such as opposition to race mingling or interracial relationships)?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times
yeah, of course it is possible.

I'm a Jew and non-religious.

I was born a Jew. So that's what I am.
To me, the religion holds no interest.
To other Jews, the religion is very significant in their lives.

each to their own.

Quote:
Actually you can be a Christian and not be religious. I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I've always been fascinated by this impression people have of southern people, of them being polite and friendly, especially since they're history of slavery and segregation would give people the impression that Southerners are all jerks. So how do you reconcile this? Southern politeness along with their backward political views (such as opposition to race mingling or interracial relationships)?
I'm from Mobile, Alabama, and I think it's generational, mostly. The much older ones tend to be somewhat prejudice and set in their ways, while the others are not and are in fact apologetic for the past. In other words, unless you plan to hang out with much older people from two or three generations past, you shouldn't run into any of that, but there are ignorant people in any lot. The Southern charm, though, is a front. They don't do it around each other, so it's kind of an advantage to be from somewhere else. They tend to be very nice to transplants, but they are not that nice to other Southerners, oddly. There's a code of behavior that they expect other Southerners to follow, and those who don't follow it are just ignored. That shouldn't be a problem for someone from out of town, though. They are more than happy to try to sell their culture to new blood.

The poor ignorant prejudice old people I mentioned earlier are oddly more sincere and open than the "cultured" Southerners, and, although I can't guarantee they are all sane, they can sometimes be a breath of fresh air. Their friendliness is usually sincere as they feel they have no reason to try to impress other people. You obviously can't believe everything they say, though, and being in certain company with them can be painful.

I've also run into a few radical (outspoken, not violent) Muslims in this area who aren't afraid to preach, hand out Korans, and generally do what the other faiths around here sometimes do to promote cultural awareness and tolerance. Some people go overboard, though.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:11 AM

408 posts, read 722,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

I've also run into a few radical (outspoken, not violent) Muslims in this area who aren't afraid to preach, hand out Korans, and generally do what the other faiths around here sometimes do to promote cultural awareness and tolerance. Some people go overboard, though.
Jesus, really? In Mobile, Alabama? I grew up a muslim in America and I can't imagine any muslim doing this though. Many muslim immigrants, especially since 9/11, try to to blend in or hide their muslim identities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama