Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 17,877 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I lived in Ozark for many years, met my best friends there ;-) My parents owned a home right outside of the Ozark gate, and a few years ago Dad pulled up stakes and sold the house to my husband and myself. I love the house and the community it is in. It's quiet (if you ignore the choppers) I always say if I could take that house and surrounding area and move it where I go I would! Living in the land of Oz (or O-zone) takes some getting use too. Culture shock tends to set in, especially if your like me (California girl). Schools are far from the best, but it's frankly that way in most southern towns ;-( It's true that Ozark today is not the Ozark I moved to many years ago. Wal-mart has killed all the nearby stores so if you want to go somewhere you tend to go to Dothan. If your looking for a factory job it's almost impossible Van Huesen factory pulled up stakes and moved to China a few years ago alot of us lost our jobs. If your in the aviation field your doing FINE... Fort Rucker is the major imployer as far as that goes and theres always Dothan and U.S. Helicopter there in Ozark. As far as things to do... UMMMMM theres always the drive to PC or Hotlanta! Ozark isn't much know for its amazing night life! Night life there consist of a coffee shop or two. Or again the Drive to Dothan. But if your looking for a quiet life with nice people Ozark is it.
Alas I married the military and we have little to no chance of moving back, I do go back from time to time to check out the house ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM

386 posts, read 1,217,051 times
My advice, steer clear of most of Dale County. Ozark has become Section 8 Housing, Alabama and the "ill never leave" mayor hasnt a clue about PROGRESS for its citizens. Also the OBGYN services at Dungeon Medical Center (how that hospital is still in operation is beyond me!) are about to be cut out, so you'll need to head to Dothan now. Sure the housing there is cheap, but look at it all. Its like Ozark stopped progressing after say, 1965. Most of the homes are either run down, molded and mildewed over or have their lots all overgrown. And most of the industry is non-existent now with most jobs either through Rucker, retail, or restaurants.

Daleville also is a lot like Ozark, but not as spread out. Also has a lot of older housing but there are some newer homes and apartment complexes. And you dont see anywhere near the trash and grown up lots and yards as you do in Ozark. For small towns, Id suggest Pinckard or Newton. They are small but not slummy, and they are right on 134, so your 15 minutes from northside Dothan... where everything is going up at.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 31,463 times
Default I Loved Ozark....

My wife and I lived in Ozark many, many years ago, 1959-1962, while in the military. I was stationed at Fort Rucker as a parachute rigger, then was assigned to Japan in 1962. We first lived at a place named Hutto Court, then in Carroll Homes. The rent was very cheap, and at that time as a E-4 pay grade, we didn't have much money. I will never forget my stay in Ozark, I made many friends while living in that great little town. I was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, and my stay in Ozark was a lot like my loving East Baltimore, which is now the ghetto's, because the people who moved into that area never took care of it like our old families did. I have since retired from the military, I now live in a very nice neighborhood located in Baltimore County, in Maryland, but I will never forget that great time I lived in Ozark, it was and will continue to be one of my most cherished memories. I played on the Semi-Pro Baseball Team we had in Ozark, also played in the church softball league at the same very nice baseball park in Ozark.

I'm now 75 years old, and returning to Ozark tomorrow, Sept 3, 2008, because I want to see Ozark once more before I leave this world, and I hope Ozark hasn't changed too much, I'm very excited to be able to see Ozark and Fort Rucker once again. Lou from Maryland

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
louft--------it would be nice (and appreciated) if you would post after you get back.

46 years is a long time.

Enjoy your trip down memory lane.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 31,463 times
Default My Trip Back To Fort Rucker And Ozark AL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by louft View Post
My wife and I lived in Ozark many, many years ago, 1959-1962, while in the military. I was stationed at Fort Rucker as a parachute rigger, then was assigned to Japan in 1962. We first lived at a place named Hutto Court, then in Carroll Homes. The rent was very cheap, and at that time as a E-4 pay grade, we didn't have much money. I will never forget my stay in Ozark, I made many friends while living in that great little town. I was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, and my stay in Ozark was a lot like my loving East Baltimore, which is now the ghetto's, because the people who moved into that area never took care of it like our old families did. I have since retired from the military, I now live in a very nice neighborhood located in Baltimore County, in Maryland, but I will never forget that great time I lived in Ozark, it was and will continue to be one of my most cherished memories. I played on the Semi-Pro Baseball Team we had in Ozark, also played in the church softball league at the same very nice baseball park in Ozark.

I'm now 75 years old, and returning to Ozark tomorrow, Sept 3, 2008, because I want to see Ozark once more before I leave this world, and I hope Ozark hasn't changed too much, I'm very excited to be able to see Ozark and Fort Rucker once again. Lou from Maryland

Well once again I loved Ozark and beautiful Fort Rucker. I stayed at the Fort Rucker Guest House which was very nice and quite affordable, I would highly recommend anyone who is military Retired to use that facility if you are planning a trip to Fort Rucker.

Ozark was once again a very nice little town, I had a hard time finding the old Carroll Homes and old Eagle Stadium where my wife and I lived, just at the end of the right field wall. But to my surprise the stadium has been well cared for, and in very nice shape. Carroll homes have been demolished and the area has a lot of new city buildings located in the old Carroll Homes area, "A New Senior Center", "A New Civic Center", "A New High School", "A New Hospital", Since I was there in the late 50's, and many new buildings in the area where I onced lived. The Ozark town center has really changed, it's so much nicer today, I was very empressed with the new municiple building, and the employee's who helped me find my way around.

If I could, I would surely move into Ozark, and make it my home, I know I would be quite happy there. All in all, I had a very enjoyable trip to a very nice small town I once again fell in love with, and a very beautiful Fort Rucker. Lou Tawney, Perry Hall, MD
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Fort Rucker-t_lou-fort-rucker-1961.jpg  

Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 15,167 times
I was wondweing if anyone knew of a nice place to live near Ft Rucker as my husband will be up there working for a year for the Army Corp of Engineers?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 22,484 times
I live in Ozark and have enjoyed the area. Its about 20 miles from Dothan. There are a few gyms and a lake with a 3.1 mile walking trail to keep fit. We have one kindergarden school, 2 elementary schools, one middle ( under renovation) and one high school (a new high school is scheduled to be built soon). Its a low crime area. Shopping is limited, walmart, peebles, cato, and the basic stores. For more options you have to drive to Dothan. There are only a few homes in the area for sale... mine is. lol Good luck with your search.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 29,166 times
I don't know much about the schools, but I think anywhere would be good to live. I lived there briefly and thought it was a nice,safe place.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 AM

9 posts, read 38,874 times
Default New Brockton School System AAAAAAA+++++++++++

I would suggest you buy, due to the low cost of housing in New Brockton. The people of New Brockton love their community and children. AAA++
School System.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 20,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melc2500 View Post
Hello,
my husband 3 kids and I may be moving to Fort Rucker this summer.
We are from Canada and will only be in the area for 3 years. I was wondering what area would be the best place to live and send our kids to school.
At this point any good info would be appreciated greatly
Most people think Enterprise is the place to be but I moved to Ozark for that small town feeling. Enterprise has a new high school opening soon where Ozark is making plans for a new one which will be years down the road. I have two in school and both made the AB honor roll and seem to like the schools they are in. I have seen a bit of color discrimination here but not too bad. Daleville which is probably the closest to the base but not really an option. Seems to be run down and in the projects. There are other areas around but a little farther out to drive but have raving reviews for schools like Ariton and skipperville both small towns with great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama