Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely suggest that the OP look into Homer; it might be just what she's looking for.

About crime stats in Alaska....you'll see a lot said about it being lifestyle specific, and while that's still true, I also think it might be changing, especially in the places with high population growth or a high influx of seasonal visitors.

I never had trouble in a bar in Alaska; I used to go to them often enough when I was younger, but then, I always went with a bunch of people and I was never a late night type of person. It's possible to utilize bars here without becoming a victim. There are plenty of places in AK without bars at all yet the violence rate remains high. I don't go to the bars on POW and haven't for years simply because I don't care for the atmosphere or the noise, but I can't say that I'd feel unsafe in them.

That said, I do think that crime still tends to be less random here in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
ShyIslandGirl, I think I understand what you are asking. I just moved to Alaska a few months ago and the crime statistics I was able to find online really spooked me. I have always lived in very rural areas but because of the statistics for I opted for living "in town" in Homer Alaska. Which is a wonderful community I have found. However, after we moved here I discovered my concerns were ill founded. As all of the above members have posted it is mostly a matter of commen sense rather then any given location. The Kenai Peninsula has a handful of smallish communities and a lovely lifestyle for those who decide to take advantage of what the area has to offer. My husband and I chose the Homer area because it has all the hunting/fishing/camping types of things that he likes to do, yet a lot of cultural/arts things that I enjoy. In addition we have found the people of Alaska to be incredibly welcoming and friendly. I suspect they would not suffer fools gladly, not because of issues with outsiders in general, but because there are realities of living in a northern climate that isn't very populated. My husband and I are so greatfull that we took the opportunity to make the move to Alaska. In our heads we knew it was always the right decision, but not until we experienced it for ourselves did our hearts understand.

It doesn't matter if we understand your reasoning really, it only matters that you do. It is quite diffcult for any of us to recommend a specific area if we don't understand how you like to live. Alaska is such a huge state but because of the lack of road systems and the high cost of everything here you really need to understand how just these two issues alone can affect the quality of your life if you are unprepared for the realities of living here. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 27,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Marie Steuer View Post
No matter where you go in a small town someone is always in your business! Anchorage is only 50 minutes to the rural areas. You can be as lost in Anchorage as you want to be. Just don't go to Mountain View or Fairview areas in Anchorage.
Thanks what is wrong with the Mountain view or Fairview area

Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 27,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
ShyIslandGirl, I think I understand what you are asking. I just moved to Alaska a few months ago and the crime statistics I was able to find online really spooked me. I have always lived in very rural areas but because of the statistics for I opted for living "in town" in Homer Alaska. Which is a wonderful community I have found. However, after we moved here I discovered my concerns were ill founded. As all of the above members have posted it is mostly a matter of commen sense rather then any given location. The Kenai Peninsula has a handful of smallish communities and a lovely lifestyle for those who decide to take advantage of what the area has to offer. My husband and I chose the Homer area because it has all the hunting/fishing/camping types of things that he likes to do, yet a lot of cultural/arts things that I enjoy. In addition we have found the people of Alaska to be incredibly welcoming and friendly. I suspect they would not suffer fools gladly, not because of issues with outsiders in general, but because there are realities of living in a northern climate that isn't very populated. My husband and I are so greatfull that we took the opportunity to make the move to Alaska. In our heads we knew it was always the right decision, but not until we experienced it for ourselves did our hearts understand.

It doesn't matter if we understand your reasoning really, it only matters that you do. It is quite diffcult for any of us to recommend a specific area if we don't understand how you like to live. Alaska is such a huge state but because of the lack of road systems and the high cost of everything here you really need to understand how just these two issues alone can affect the quality of your life if you are unprepared for the realities of living here. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.
I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my post, I also appreciate your positive post has well. However, your understand me fully and yes it going to be hard for anyone to understand what i am looking for if they do not know my lifestyle is. I am just looking for a new start while i finish up my last year online. the weather is not a problem for me as well, All i can do is pack and move and decided for my self while i am there and also keep in mind the places everyone told me about. Most of the post i receive has been negative which make it hard for anyone to make a good decision on where in Alaska to LIVE. I wish when people giving there opinion try to keep it as positive as possible so their wont be discourage. If i wasn't a positive person and know what i want from reading the response from people i would've change my mind, but am strong well and know what i can and can't handle. i will be in Alaska in two months, Thanks again have a good day

Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,960 times
TRY WWW.CRAGSLIST.ORG OR ON GOOGLE TYPE IN "RENTALS IN SOLDOTNA, ALASKA"

Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
As long as you can bear the expense of moving then living here, then why not? I live in Anchorage and while it has it's issues and traffic enough to aggravate in 30 plus years I have felt unsafe here only one time and that was getting gasoline in a marginal neighborhood at 2 am after getting off the red eye flight from the -48. That was about 20 years ago.

Anchorage gets a bad rap. Since crime tends to be about the drug trade, gang activity and domestic violence, minding one's housing locale and social network goes a long way toward achieving safety. (That's why someone mentioned Mountain View, it's a marginal neighborhood with known gang activity though that area is undergoing some urban renewal bringing in a more family element.)

I have lived in Juneau and Anchorage, spent significant time on the Kenai especially Seward where we have a boat and have visited the other places multiple times having either family or friends in those locales. They all have their plusses and minuses.

I'd suggest that a trip might be in order to scout a location. If money is no problem then I'd fly to Anchorage and rent a car spending a week or two looking around. You might also consider Sitka (beautiful but seems a waste to be indoors missing all that wonder) Talkeetna or Fairbanks. The trip may save you from making a costly mistake. Many people that come here for a perceived lifestyle don't last very long, and I'm sorry to say that this doubly applies to women. The winters are too long or harsh. The darkness causes both physical and emotional symptoms in some people. Others can't sleep in near 24 hours of daylight in the summer. Many areas of the state rain as much or more than Seattle, famous for it's rain. It's more expensive than people planned for or they can't get into a satisfying social network. A trip will allow you to see the possibilities or the deal breakers that may lay in your path before actually committing to a move.

So for the sake of full disclosure I will relate that I did move up here in 1979 sight unseen and have stayed, loving the summers, the open and closed spaces, the ocean, the independence of the average citizen, the raw possibilities, the multi-cultural community.

The gal from Homer got it right though, we tend to not suffer "fools" gladly up here which is why you are getting some of the answers that you have. Some of your posts seem a bit cagey about providing useful information so that people can be of real service and overly defensive without need which I'm going to chalk up to English as a second language. Though if in fact you find harmless inquiry upsetting, you might not want to come to Alaska at all or if you do, consider Anchorage as your first choice with Fairbanks being a distant second.

In that vein: Like small towns everywhere, Seward, Homer, Sitka, Talkeetna there will be people interested in what you are doing there as everyone has their reasons for being here from somewhere else such as a job and they will ask such an obvious transplant such as an Island Girl and if that bothers you, then stay away from smaller towns.

All that said there are transplants here from all over the world that happily make Alaska their home. You might be one of them or you might not. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:44 PM

24 posts, read 52,417 times
I find it kind of funny when anyone thinks it is their business why someone would decide to move here to Alaska,Its a beautiful state, and as long as you do your research and know this is where you want to come then do it, like some of us said before if you don't want all the traffic there is wasilla,eagle river,seward,homer and many other places. And like a few have said in the smaller towns people will ask, thats the way small towns are and if you have an attitude with that then yeah maybe you should chose a different state to go, or bigger town where people aren't as friendly and don't give a crap. traffic here is nowhere near as bad as the lower48 so you luck out that way where ever you chose here. when you ask people for their advice though I would think a minute before you catch a tude when they give it, atleast if they are not giving you one first. where ever you chose for up here it can't be wrong this is a beautiful state with lots to do, everywhere you look there is beauty.. gl with w/e you chose.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxynak View Post
I find it kind of funny when anyone thinks it is their business why someone would decide to move here to Alaska,Its a beautiful state, and as long as you do your research and know this is where you want to come then do it.
I think that part of the reason why some posters get asked what their reasons for wanting to move here is that a lot of us know people who have moved here with very unrealistic expectations and have ended up basically stranded. It can be a tough place to get back home from. The state used to have a social services program called "Traveler's Aid" or something like that which existed because so many people were coming up and ending up broke with nowhere to go. I think the program was cut years ago though.

Alaska does attract those who think that the North is somehow going to fix their problems, though the OP doesn't seem to fall into that category.

But...people contemplating a move here really need to take their reasons for wanting to do so under deep consideration; whatever those reasons may or may not be will have a significant impact on the quality of their lives here.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 AM

23 posts, read 54,776 times
Try Fairbanks, Anchorage is Alaska's largest city so you would have to deal with lots of traffic. Juneau is expensive to get to, you have to either fly or take a boat. So everything there was more expensive due to the extra transport fees. Some Alaska cities have limited or no internet, which might be a problem for someone taking on line classes....
The best thing is come up take a vacation and see the area.... you will be surprised how many people came up for a vacation and never went home..
Steve

Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that part of the reason why some posters get asked what their reasons for wanting to move here is that a lot of us know people who have moved here with very unrealistic expectations and have ended up basically stranded...
Bingo, we have a winner.

I don't know how mant times I've heard, "I'd love to move to Alaska, never been there, but I'd love to live there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska