Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:22 PM

13 posts, read 77,742 times

Advertisements

I've always been interested in moving to Alaska, just kind of "get away from civilization" for a while. Please don't take that offense to that, i've lived in some big cities, and Alaska would really feel like that to me.

Anyway, I have a master's in microbiology, and was just wondering what types of opportunities are there (companies, or the government) in said field. Is the cost of living high or low comparable to say Las Vegas?

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I know nothing of microbiology, but maybe the FBI needs someone in that feild. Or a hospital?
Alaska FBI Home Page

Workplace Alaska-SOAcss: 1HomePage

Alaska Job Center Network

Vegas may have higher housing...but groceries might be cheaper there.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default fisheries labs

Another prospect is the fisheries labs. There was a writeup in the paper a few years ago how the delays in lab testing were costing the clam and oyster harvesters quite a bit of money. The live geodunk (gooeyduck?) clams are an especially valuable commodity, but as with all shellfish up in AK the threat of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning requires regular testing to insure public safety. They were having to fly samples up to the Palmer area from SE Alaska, which cost time and money that the clammers couldn't afford. They might have started a new lab nearer the clam beds, but I haven't kept up with it.

Also, have you checked with the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Alaska SeaLife Center Home Page

Old 11-10-2010, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,528 times
Default Job Opening for Research Associate

There is a Job Opening for Research Associate.we are looking for people with good lab techniques and zeal to deliver their talent.You can upload your resume at makroscientific.com.

You can contact me at sudheshnasowrab@yahoo.com for any concerns and clarifications.

Good Day..

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Fisheries labs are probably a good place to look, like Rotorhead mentioned, especially if you have a background in parasitology, toxicology, or water quality. The hatchery I work at ships water samples off to SGS Environmental Services in Anchorage. Here's a list I just found of water quality labs: http://www.dec.state.ak.us/eh/lab/labs.htm (broken link)

Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
Default Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Science View Post
I've always been interested in moving to Alaska, just kind of "get away from civilization" for a while. Please don't take that offense to that, i've lived in some big cities, and Alaska would really feel like that to me.

Anyway, I have a master's in microbiology, and was just wondering what types of opportunities are there (companies, or the government) in said field. Is the cost of living high or low comparable to say Las Vegas?

Any opinions?
My name is Eric Cox I need some one like you to work with our company,if you are in water microbiology call me in Anchorage Alaska at 907-727-8393 You will be working with me at our plant in Eklutna Alaska it is 30 minnutes north of Anchorage.I will give you a job discriptionwhen you call.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cox View Post
My name is Eric Cox I need some one like you to work with our company,if you are in water microbiology call me in Anchorage Alaska at 907-727-8393 You will be working with me at our plant in Eklutna Alaska it is 30 minnutes north of Anchorage.I will give you a job discriptionwhen you call.
You are responding to a post that is over four years old.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cox View Post
Hello...
I know it's kind of late to answer you post, but i just find it while surfing on the internet...

I'm a INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGYST student, from colombia. I'm on my third -out of four- year of university. I'm abouto to graduate, meaning i need to start looking for a place to make an intership and hopefully find a job.

I like to know what are the chances of doing that in Alaska; I'm guessing you know something about that.

Anyway I'm hoping I'll get an answer from you...

Thank You. Bye!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula.acb1 View Post
Hello...
I know it's kind of late to answer you post, but i just find it while surfing on the internet...

I'm a INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGYST student, from colombia. I'm on my third -out of four- year of university. I'm abouto to graduate, meaning i need to start looking for a place to make an intership and hopefully find a job.

I like to know what are the chances of doing that in Alaska; I'm guessing you know something about that.

Anyway I'm hoping I'll get an answer from you...

Thank You. Bye!
Can't help with work, but maybe with "cost of living." You can start here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ng-alaska.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska