Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 PM

225 posts, read 401,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Whether Alaskans consider themselves Americans is not the issue.

America doesn't consider itself American anymore.

Social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of total U.S. wages | MLive.com
Technically speaking, the only people who are considered Americans, are Alaska Natives and Native Americans because, they are considered The First People. Everyone else are considered U.S. citzens, legally on all official documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
To me, Canada feels like you're in a foreign country when you get to a border crossing station. It feels like you're returning home when you cross back.
I grew up literally at the border between Minnesota and Canada. In our community crossing back and forth on a daily basis was not unusual. We shared the waterways, the International Bridge, cross border industries and certainly family connections. It used to be much easier (and friendlier) going back and forth across the border then it is now, but I must agree with this poster. Even when I was a child, Canada was distinctly different in cultural attitudes, government and everyway I can think of. It always seemed strange with our lives so intertwined and less then two miles seperation between us that it would be that way. There is a lot of ill will now in the border communities that never used to exhist. It is very sad.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,564 times
And the remaining 65% to fight two questionable wars.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Do Alaskans feel closely connected with the Canadians, i mean more than the mainland?
No not at all. American. Canada feels like a foreign country and I am very happy to cross back into the U.S. Parts of Canada are beautiful tho.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
Technically speaking, the only people who are considered Americans, are Alaska Natives and Native Americans because, they are considered The First People. Everyone else are considered U.S. citzens, legally on all official documents.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Whether Alaskans consider themselves Americans is not the issue.

America doesn't consider itself American anymore.

Social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of total U.S. wages | MLive.com
Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance now make up 35 percent of total wages and salaries in the United States, up from 21 percent in 2000, according to a report from TrimTabs Investment Research.
"The U.S. economy has become alarmingly dependent on government stimulus," said Madeline Schnapp, director of Macroeconomic Research at TrimTabs, in a note to clients. "Consumption supported by wages and salaries is a much stronger foundation for economic growth than consumption based on social welfare benefits."

Excuse me Ms Schnapp and any other of you misguided thinking people...most and I mean most the people that are collecting these so called "social welfare benefits" worked and PAID in all their working lives for these benefits! Unemployment fund is paid for by the companies/corporation to insure the workers benefits while the company closes and moves on with loaded pockets...government stimulus??? WTH?
And you have the audacity and unmitigated gall to use this as an excuse for the financial state of this country???

Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
At some point, wasn't there migration from Russia and Asia?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I c wut u did thar.

Nah just more like their state represents who they are than the feds do. I guess the exception is if you've been forced to move somewhere you don't want to be then identify with your home state instead of where you are.
I think Texas has a very similar state pride to Alaskans. People in Louisianna are pretty state loyal as well.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance now make up 35 percent of total wages and salaries in the United States, up from 21 percent in 2000, according to a report from TrimTabs Investment Research.
"The U.S. economy has become alarmingly dependent on government stimulus," said Madeline Schnapp, director of Macroeconomic Research at TrimTabs, in a note to clients. "Consumption supported by wages and salaries is a much stronger foundation for economic growth than consumption based on social welfare benefits."

Excuse me Ms Schnapp and any other of you misguided thinking people...most and I mean most the people that are collecting these so called "social welfare benefits" worked and PAID in all their working lives for these benefits! Unemployment fund is paid for by the companies/corporation to insure the workers benefits while the company closes and moves on with loaded pockets...government stimulus??? WTH?
And you have the audacity and unmitigated gall to use this as an excuse for the financial state of this country???
The rich like to blame all the problems on those in unfortunate cirmumstances not through their own making, perhaps if their companies would provide jobs instead of shipping them overseas, and pay a living wage, people wouldn't get unemployment. But this shouldn't become a political argument. This is not the proper forum for that.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post

Tried to rep you but gotta spread it around first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska