Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM

25 posts, read 59,890 times

Advertisements

We are looking at making the drive from Fairbanks to S Florida this summer while pulling a cargo trailer. I'm not a huge fan of long car trips and not wanting to drive thru Canada any more than necessary (fuel costs more). Any suggestions on how to make this long drive with min expense and stress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM

863 posts, read 2,079,587 times
Cheapest and most efficient overall is to take the Alcan to Dawson Creek, then aim for the US border just east of the Rockies in Montana. The ferry is much more expensive than driving, and heading to Washington instead of Montana isn't worth it since the Alcan forces you so far east anyway.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,292,926 times
I drove the other way, from Tampa to Valdez, last June. It's a really nice drive, and took us 7 days. That felt like a pretty good pace, but it would have been nice to have had more time to see stuff along the way. We had to go through Dallas, and then went up the Front Range and through Banff and up to the Alcan. I think I'd still go that way even if I didn't have to, to avoid the traffic of the Midwest and the boringness of the Plains.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
To avoid stress schedule a lot of time to make the trip (10 days) take your time... Traffic and weather can delay you...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,130,859 times
Drove from Anchorage to Tampa in July 2010. Tips to save money.

Eat as much as you can in your car. Restaurants through Canada can be very expensive. The weak dollar does not help. Bring a cooler, load it up with sandwich stuff. Jerky is your friend and bring lots of water.

When coming into a larger town (one that has more than one gas station) through Canada do not stop at the first gas station on the way into town. The first gas station is always the most expensive and nothing like knowing you got gouged minutes after leaving with a full tank.

Since you are towing you will save money by driving slower. Faster = more gas. When going up steep inclines, take your time, no need to have the pedal floored. Just wasting gas and may be overheating other components. A breakdown on the ALCAN is expensive.

Tent it through Canada or at least 2 days tent for each day in a motel. If possible, sleep in the truck. We drove our minivan. Took all the seats out the back and blew up an air mattress.

If you smoke, buy enough ciggs in Alaska to last you through Canada.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,620,450 times
I always recommend people pick up a copy of the Milepost.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,836,261 times
This might not be useful, but I just have to say OMG that's a long drive. And I was thinking that ever having to make that trip from CO to S Fl would be bad... Good luck.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,483,914 times
Add an extra 1-2 days due to pulling a trailer. Keep spare tires accessible.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,364,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSININDY View Post
We are looking at making the drive from Fairbanks to S Florida this summer while pulling a cargo trailer. I'm not a huge fan of long car trips and not wanting to drive thru Canada any more than necessary (fuel costs more). Any suggestions on how to make this long drive with min expense and stress?
I am from Homosassa, Florida. I took the road trip in 2009 and crossed in Montana going up into Canada skagway to haines took the ferry over and drove up to Fairbanks and Alaska. one way it took 12 days. stayed in hotels every night food and gas it was $2,000 each way, one person.

The best part not knowing what the highways would be like through Canada and over some of the mountain passes. Buy a GPS like Tom Tom and it has both Canada and United States maps built in under $250. sirius xm radio works all the way too and it's good to buy year service sirius xm at $162 and $60 for the radio unit. Great Falls Montana at the Holiday Inn is the best lay over for one or two nights. indoor swim pool and hot spa.

72 hours drive time total I think it was. from Florida to Fairbanks to Denali.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,850,894 times
Only 72 hours total driving time from Florida to Fairbanks?! Damn Bob, you were moving! I know that's just the on-road time, but I would have thought it would be more than that, especially if you were taking the ferry up from Skagway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska