Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Only 72 hours total driving time from Florida to Fairbanks?! Damn Bob, you were moving! I know that's just the on-road time, but I would have thought it would be more than that, especially if you were taking the ferry up from Skagway.
Ford Taurus had built in trip computer and gave the time of operating the auto in hours and said about 72 hours. 12 day's it took with two nights rest in a row at Great Falls M. Florida to Alaska 2009 year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
You don't really need a GPS unless you're planning on getting off the highway quite a bit or you just want to spend more money. It's pretty straightforward driving. A Milepost will be helpful through Canada, and a map book of the US will get you through the rest of the trip just fine. An iPod with an FM transmitter, or a whole bunch of CDs, would be a good idea. Not many radio stations in the first half of your drive.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
A GPS is handy down states while you look for local eats, gas stations, hotels, and such. They have listings of everything ahead of you.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM

I guess, but mostly if you really want or need something specific. There's plenty of gas/food/lodging right on the freeways. I can see its utility, but the OP shouldn't think it's necessary for the trip. It's pretty easy most places to get on and off the freeways for whatever you need and get back on with no trouble.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM

It came in handy in the larger cities for me last summer, especially when you had to change highways inside larger towns in both southern Canada and in the states.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
GPS depends on your tastes. I love them and wouldn't buy a new vehicle without it built in. Second best is a portable one. The newer ones get gas/diesel prices and saving .20 / gal by driving to the next stations helps it pay for itself in the long run. Being tired and knowing where the enxt hotel is, calling ahead of time to make sure there is a vacancy is nice too. Do you NEED it, no. Is it nice, yes.

So based on previous posters plan 12 days, especially since I missed the part about towing a cargo trailer. Bob really did it in 10 days as the 2 night stopover doesn't count in the drive time. Driving without stopping, but needing at least two drivers would take 3+ days. Planning my trip, I figured 7 to get to the Alaska border through Canada and 3 extra. As they say, your mileage will vary.

As far as Bob's speed, how many miles did you drive Bob? Then divide it by 72... As the googlemaps go, Orlando to Fairbanks is 4,600 miles. (4,600 miles / 72 = avg. 63.8 mph) Seems reasonable for driving speed.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM

99 posts, read 220,082 times
I would take the Alcan to Dawson Creek, then south through Edmonton and Calgary and through a border station near Lethbridge. You can do Alberta in about a day and a half. From there, I would head south until Butte MT and then head east, take I-90 until you hit Crow Agency and then get on Highway 212 east. I would camp at Custer National Forest at Red Shale Campground since it is free. Alternatively, you could take I-90 through Wyoming and into SD. 212 I think is shorter though although not quite as fast, the road was good last August. I would take I-90 through SD, maybe a detour to see Mt. Rushmore by Rapid City, head east through SD into Sioux Falls and then get on I-35. From I-35 I am not sure what I would do since I've never gone to Florida, although I have gone to Kansas City en route to San Antonio and the road was good. Anyways, that's just my opinion but it's a nice drive. If you wanted to you could cut south and see Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks but that's all optional. Montana is a beautiful state, SD isn't as beautiful but you have the Black Hills.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
One thing you need to know. In the Yukon you will see little orange flags on dips. You may see one, two, three or flags with an X on them.

One Flag = No real need to slow down unless you are hauling butt.

Two Flags = Slow down, it could be a nice size dip.

Three Flags = Slow down or it's going to hurt.

Flag with an X = Slow down or you might bounce off the road.

I didn't see this listed in the milepost... it's good to know. We quickly figured it out after coming out of our seats with our seat belts on.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM

The sign with the ^^^ on it doesn't mean mountains like a friend thought, slow down!

From Destruction Bay to Alaska is where you need to watch out for frost heaves. In either direction you're in the other lane for many kilometers.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
From Destruction Bay to Alaska is where you need to watch out for frost heaves. In either direction you're in the other lane for many kilometers.
If you get someone in front of you through there, don't pass them. It was nice having someone else tell us where the really bad ones were by how badly their trailer bounced around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska