Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM

164 posts, read 282,313 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever bought land through this program, and if so, do you live on it full time or do you use it for recreational purposes? I was looking at maps of these subdivisions, and it seems odd to see what looks like (on paper) maps of suburban neighborhoods with roads in areas where you need a float plane to get to. Do any of these subdivisons ever become what's drawn out on the map?
Some of the prices are absurdly low...seems too good to be true...is that because of the remoteness, or is it because of swamp land/ permafrost (or all of the above)? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaRose View Post
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever bought land through this program,
Yep

Quote:
and if so, do you live on it full time
Yep

Quote:
or do you use it for recreational purposes?
Since I live on it I also use it for recreation.

Quote:
I was looking at maps of these subdivisions, and it seems odd to see what looks like (on paper) maps of suburban neighborhoods with roads in areas where you need a float plane to get to. Do any of these subdivisons ever become what's drawn out on the map?
Most of the maps on the BLM site already are what's on the properties, the disconnect is that the "roads" are easements and/or traditional use trails for the most part. They're not in general "roads" that you'd see in a suburban subdivision.

Quote:
Some of the prices are absurdly low...seems too good to be true...is that because of the remoteness, or is it because of swamp land/ permafrost (or all of the above)? Thanks all!
What's absurdly low? $500/acre? remember if you're not on the road system, and by that it means anything where you cannot hand carry everything you need to build a permanent structure, then the prices are about what you'd expect.

To install a "road" will cost you about $80/load of a 10 cubic yard dumper of gravel or mine tailings spread; that will cover about an average of 20 feet of road per load (about $20k for a mile of road). Without this you need to be either patient, ingenious, or determined to get supplies back to the building site (or any combination of those three). In many ways the best time to get supplies back to build is at precisely the time that's worst for building i.e. October-Feb, but you're not pouring any concrete in those months where I'm at, and even working outside is problematic when it gets under -20F and you need manual dexterity to hold nails/screws etc.

There also is most likely not any way to have municipal power and/or water and waste treatment, nor without serious investment will there ever be. I'm 16 miles from the nearest hook-up point and the power company wants $1000/pole to extend to my place (about $150k for the run).

Theres always a risk that what you're looking at on the plot maps is swamp/muskeg and may have permafrost or discontinuous permafrost which isn't an issue if you know about it, I (and many others) strongly recommend walking the property before you buy it, ideally in spring and around first snow.

So is it looking like as good a deal now...?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM

I never said it was a good deal...I said it seemed too good to be true. The prices seem low (and yes, 500 dollars an acre seems very low to me) which is why I asked the question. I figured there was a reason for the low prices, and you explained it nicely.

Thank you for your response.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
I never said it was a good deal...I said it seemed too good to be true. The prices seem low (and yes, 500 dollars an acre seems very low to me) which is why I asked the question. I figured there was a reason for the low prices, and you explained it nicely.

Thank you for your response.
What seems low to you is kind of high to an Alaskan, considering the condition of the land, no road, etc, as Gungnir said. In many cases it 'seems' to good to be true, until you start figuring up all the costs. Artichomesteader, who lives in Vermont, bought off the road system a few years ago. For various reasons he hasn't moved up.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What seems low to you is kind of high to an Alaskan, considering the condition of the land, no road, etc, as Gungnir said. In many cases it 'seems' to good to be true, until you start figuring up all the costs. Artichomesteader, who lives in Vermont, bought off the road system a few years ago. For various reasons he hasn't moved up.
Do they ever sell land on the road system?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Do they ever sell land on the road system?
Yes, and as you might expect the prices are significantly higher than bush property. The State was offering some land near Tok last year, on the road system, with gas and electric hookups only a few hundred feet away, for just under $1,000 per acre. They were 5, 10 and 20 acre lots. The property requires the owner to drill their own well and put in their own septic system, so those costs need to be included in the overall price.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
Not only the state but the boroughs have land lotterys as well. We had looked at one last year in the Kenai Peninsula Borough for the Hope area but it was out of our range for recreational property for us. Here's some info from previous sales where you can see what it sold for. Hope is on the road system.
SALES

Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
There is still residential property that isn't too outrageously priced in places like Sterling. There are roads. Power, phone and gas nearby. You still have to drill your own wells and put in sewer systems if you desire those...but prices vary depending on acreage, view lot's water front etc.
It's more than 500 an acre...but it's also on the road system and near the basic utilities.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
We bought 200 acres in Delta Junction at an Agriculture land Auction (Ag-Land). Good deal.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 PM

169 posts, read 159,678 times
Looked through the BLM website and found the mining claim section. Trying to understand that. Any help? any of those lands available for a claim. Hubby does prospecting (time permitting) was heavy into it in Nevada. In NV you could stake a claim for the land for mining and actually build and live on it. Is it true here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska