Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You left out "for the adventure."

Not everyone who moves to Alaska does so because of work, family, something they saw in the media, or they are screwed up in some fashion. Some of us move here for the adventure and the challenge of living in a different environment.
I must have repped you recently, because I can't now, but thanks for posting that.

Tigre's post earlier in the thread was excellent as well. Those of you who accuse people of wanting to move to Alaska because of television sure must think people are dumb. I've seen places on TV and wanted to visit, but doing the research and spending the time and effort to actually even consider moving somewhere has to come from a deeper place than that. I always think that this must be a rhetorical question that really means "don't move here" because if you've lived in Alaska for any period of time, you undoubtedly know why people want to move there. It's a special place, and there's no reason why I can't enjoy it at the same time as you.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
You also left out;

The Magnificent Beauty! This is God's country!! The most majestic gorgeous place on this planet.

Behold the magnificence of the Lord's HANDIWORK

I want a house, a view, where I cannot see anything .. .. that man has touched !!

That's been my dream my whole life.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
@ gRANDvIEWgLORIA : I have a question though : how the movie "Into The Wild" fits into that survivalist scheme? Sean Penn (well McCandless) dies of hunger loneliness and sheer misery in that van in the end, it's not a good ad for Alaska, I wonder how many people who daydreamed of moving up there (gay or not) decided after watching that film that finally Alaska was not for them?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Then I hope you are not putting in for a dividend because that would be Illegal!
???? - The $1300 a YEAR they give residents in AK to stay there... (I don't live in AK now - If I moved and STAYED there, then I would) The PFD should not be the ONLY reason one would or should move to AK. Now $1300 a month per person would open the flood gates. Although that would attract a much different crowd and push away the current crowd looking to move there.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:00 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
To be blunt, they're hoping to get away from Blacks and Mexicans.
Wow, I thought Sity's posts in this thread were bad. Personally, Latin culture is one of the things I miss most since I moved here. And what's with your weird obsession with gay lumberjacks? I don't even know what to say about that, but it sure doesn't square with any version of reality I've ever come across.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
And what's with your weird obsession with gay lumberjacks? I don't even know what to say about that, but it sure doesn't square with any version of reality I've ever come across.

YouTube - ‪Monty Python- Lumberjack Song FULL‬‏

Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 AM

413 posts, read 938,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I want a house, a view, where I cannot see anything .. .. that man has touched !!
That's the most rational thing you've ever said!

Glitch for the best song ever.

So if I move to Alaska, do I have to shack up with a gay lumberjack? Or will turn my partner into a gay lumberjack? I mean, if so, I'll just leave him in the lower 48. I'd hate to move up there and have him suddenly start wearing flannel (unbuttoned slightly to show off his new-found chest hair) and carrying around a double-bit.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Don't ya just love it...the conception that some have of AK. but yet have never set foot on AK. ground? BTW I didn't know we had gay lumberjacks...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
???? - The $1300 a YEAR they give residents in AK to stay there... (I don't live in AK now - If I moved and STAYED there, then I would) The PFD should not be the ONLY reason one would or should move to AK. Now $1300 a month per person would open the flood gates. Although that would attract a much different crowd and push away the current crowd looking to move there.
I think the person misunderstood your post. I think they thought that you are living in Alaska now and are planning on retiring elsewhere.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
To be blunt, they're hoping to get away from Blacks and Mexicans. And many of them think the state has three men for every woman....and that the Men all look like Paul Bunyan...except maybe they're blond. And most importantly, they hold the irrational notion that those giant hunksters are lonely....thus open to the love of some scrawny Accountant from Pittsburg, whose primary claim to attractiveness is being not overweight.

Anyway, there's some misplaced notion that there are climates too cold for anyone who isn't white, and they think Alaska is one of those climates. They forgot about year-round food supplies, heated houses, and insulated clothing....and motorized vehicles...and Vitamin D supplements. Oops....

I think the shows on cable, about the Truckers and the Fishermen and the Lumberjacks got half the men in America to having fantasies about ditching the Harpie, and taking up with some big, hairy Ice Road Trucker.

They think the state is like that show about the radio station....laid-back...no social pathologies to deal with....no pathological immigrant groups running drugs... plus lots of opportunities to hang out with big, bearded men with Mink-like chests...bare chests just all the time, like the TV Show Teasers showed....and that everybody who isn't lily white is a cute, harmless Indigenous Person who says funny things.

I hate to break it to you gals out there, but my impression is that if given the choice between a giant, bearded Lumberjack in a plaid shirt, and some painted up, tweezered, waxed, lacquered, moisturized, mascaraed, silicone-injected science project in a slinky dress who calls herself a 'Woman', most men over 30 would rather (all obstacles removed....like family expectations, etc.) go live in a cabin with the Lumberjack.

(and don't forget that Brokeback Mountain finally made it to Cable...so all the menfolk who stayed alone in Motels finally got to see it without anybody knowing. That movie surely planted some ideas in some heads..."Hmmmmm....now where can I go that's so isolated there are no women, so I can accidentally fall in love with a buddy.......ALASKA!!!")

And I think that the nasty people who have taken over the East Coast, and made both business and academia there into miserable, ultra-competitive, vicious hells, have made a lot of people look at Men In Trees, and Northern Exposure, with yearning. They think Alaska will be about good friends and undemanding work lives....a milieu in which they can cut it.

And then, there are the movies like Wyvern (which encapsulates all the Alaska sitcom cliches, and adds a monster...a monster far less scary than immigrant drug gangs), making the place look so peaceful and crime-free.

Oh, yeah... and they think that when the nation breaks up, and there are famines and riots and all that... that they will somehow be able to do survivalist stuff and be just fine. And maybe they're right. "Spit some Beechnut.... Country boy....Survive...."
I don't think so. Surely there are some xenophobic freaks who have moved here thinking it's the new Idaho but they haven't found it to be their paradise. And women moving up primarily in search of partners has been over for a few years.

Some people have moved because of TV shows, or at least because something they saw on TV sparked an interest in them. Northern Exposure probably had the greatest effect that way. But the people who did move up after doing more research etc. after becoming interested because of that show were probably for the most part adventurous people in their own right. They would have made it up here or done something else adventurous regardless of the show. So I guess I'm contradicting myself in a way but I haven't had much coffee and the fish have been coming in since daylight. What I'm saying is that tv may have been the start of an initial interest for some people.

Don't know what to say about the gay lumberjack deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska