Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:26 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times

Advertisements

Sheesh...you guys are a lot more prepared than I am. If you are on the road system you will usually be able to get help eventually. I hope if I break down one of you are the first people to show up. I drive over 30,000 miles a year, mostly on back roads in South Central. I don't worry about it much.

In the winter you have to keep warm so I usually carry a -20 or more degree sleeping bag in the trunk, a pair of winter boots and warm winter clothes. I carry a basic tool kit, tow rope, jumper cables, spare tire etc. The basics. I don't worry about water or food in the winter. There is snow in the winter. I survived once for 4 days at minus 60 with only one hershey bar and fat on my body. I was probably better off after than before.

The person who said most of surviving is the grey matter between your ears is absolutely right. The most important decision is the "go or no-go" decision. In bad weather you should think twice before heading out.

As far as internet and cell phone service in Anchorage and Mat-Su, don't worry about it. Most places have good internet and cell phone service. I suppose that's a relative statement because I can't compare to where you are from. WiFi is here...but sparse.

Alaska is the most "connected" state based on the amount of people using the internet per total population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:59 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
I never claimed to have all that stuff either! Ha Ha!

I have jumpers, towstrap, oil, flashlight with lithium batteries, and yes a cell phone. Sometimes the Ham radio is in the truck depending on weather. Bunny boots, hat and gloves are standard also. I do think a guy should have some water with them just incase. A bottle or two in the door pocket would be plenty, with a lighter in the glove box next to the owners manual (fire starter).

Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Sheesh...you guys are a lot more prepared than I am. If you are on the road system you will usually be able to get help eventually. I hope if I break down one of you are the first people to show up. I drive over 30,000 miles a year, mostly on back roads in South Central. I don't worry about it much.

In the winter you have to keep warm so I usually carry a -20 or more degree sleeping bag in the trunk, a pair of winter boots and warm winter clothes. I carry a basic tool kit, tow rope, jumper cables, spare tire etc. The basics. I don't worry about water or food in the winter. There is snow in the winter. I survived once for 4 days at minus 60 with only one hershey bar and fat on my body. I was probably better off after than before.

The person who said most of surviving is the grey matter between your ears is absolutely right. The most important decision is the "go or no-go" decision. In bad weather you should think twice before heading out.

As far as internet and cell phone service in Anchorage and Mat-Su, don't worry about it. Most places have good internet and cell phone service. I suppose that's a relative statement because I can't compare to where you are from. WiFi is here...but sparse.

Alaska is the most "connected" state based on the amount of people using the internet per total population.
I was thinking the same thing when I read everybody elses post. "Boy! These guys are prepared!" Like Marty, I drive about 30,000 miles a year in the Mat-Su Valley (mostly to and from Anchorage and Settler's Bay). I keep a change of clothes, a sleeping bag, a small folding shovel, two MREs, a flashlight, spare batteries, a couple flares, and a little device I picked up at Costco that will jump-start a vehicle a few times and has a built-in air compressor (which doesn't work very well). This is in addition to what normally comes with the vehicle, like a spare tire, jack, and a tire-iron. I don't bother keeping tools in my vehicle because I am not mechanically inclined.

I used to also include a cell phone (MTA has an "S.O.S" plan for $25/month) for emergencies, but it got ripped off over a year ago and I have never replaced it.

After reading the posts of others I'm thinking I may need to add to my survival gear.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
The jack I keep in my truck is a floor jack, I don't like the jacks that come with the truck, too wobbly.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 PM

103 posts, read 353,203 times
A good knife (with partial serrated blade) is an essential in my book.

Tools.

Communications.

Energy bars.

For basic first aid, whiskey, a t-shirt, and electrical tape.

Water.

Lighter, candle, fire paste.

Flashlight.

Proper clothing.

Common sense.

Maybe a gun

Old 12-16-2007, 12:40 AM

103 posts, read 353,203 times
A few more things that are nice to have . . .

Axe
compass/maps or gps
warm sleeping bag
small foldable camp shovel
small saw
hammer/nails
canned salmon/can opener
rope and string
fishing hook and line
bug juice/sun block/chapstick
blue tarp
water purification tablets, canteen (metal can be heated)
binoculars/scope

use flares or mirror to signal planes

obviously, this all is overkill for much of your everyday driving - but if you are stuck for any period of time, these items are nice to have

Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
A good LED headlamp is worth it's weight in gold. A lot of people like Petzl, but after having a Myo corrode on me (water and weatherproof...sure) I'm sold on Princeton Tec. Solid as a rock, will light up a runway, and is truly "weatherproof".

Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
You should also add some "Yukon Jack" to that kit as well for medicinal purposes. It's a good all around pain killer....

Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You should also add some "Yukon Jack" to that kit as well for medicinal purposes. It's a good all around pain killer....
I'd be not recommending alchohol, it's a known contributor to problems with hypothermia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Coast Guard Information on Hypothermia
Alcohol causes the blood vessels to dilate, which increases the amount of heat that is lost. This increases the effects of hypothermia if you get into an emergency situation.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:22 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Well, geez, if's it alcohol it won't freeze. I'm seems like it should work like antifreeze in the radiatior. I wasn't suggesting that you drink it or anything....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska