Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times

Advertisements

Hey, if it's high enough proof, it's not only an anasthestic and a sterilant, it's also a fire starter and stove fuel to boot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Hey, if it's high enough proof, it's not only an anasthestic and a sterilant, it's also a fire starter and stove fuel to boot!
Since you're talking about Yukon Jack, (which is nothing but tinted potato water and honey, of all things), I guess I have no problem with using it for brake fluid, or anything else along those lines, .....if you want.

But if a person was going to do something like that with actual whiskey? ....that would be some of the worst kind of sacrilege.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
Here's something that would come in handy......reasonable price also..

http://www.ultimategear.com/therprotaid.html

Old 12-18-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Here's something that would come in handy......reasonable price also..

http://www.ultimategear.com/therprotaid.html
Zipping yourself into a glorified garbage bag doesn't sound like a smart idea to me, it's sure not a Gumby suit, so it's utility escapes me.

And at that price, it's just a plastic bag, ...it won't breathe.

(....can't say I'm positive, they don't offer any info on what it's made out of, but the cost indicates it's nothing but coated nylon, or at best some kind of cheap rubberized cloth)

Spend a little time in plastic clothes, and you'll be sopping wet from inside out. You won't care that the stuff is 'waterproof', you'll be soaked anyway.

Then you'll get cold, ....then you might die...

You can buy all kinds of 'safety equipment', but just because it says safety gear, or survival gear, on the label doesn't mean it will actually help you survive.

This thing could be the direct cause of an early, avoidable death.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM

27 posts, read 123,938 times
There are many great suggestions mentioned above. But, anyone with a fat wallet can buy all the survival gear in the world and still die from exposure or other. You must educate, practice and continuously train for the many scenarios you my encounter. Simply said: If you don't know what to do at the proper time, or how to effectively use your gear, your likely to perish. People have a difficult time focusing and channeling energy when stress or panic strikes. Knowledge is the key! This forum by no means can provide you with proper survival skills. Survival skills must be taught by a professional utilizing “hands on training”.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
This forum by no means can provide you with proper survival skills. Survival skills must be taught by a professional utilizing “hands on training”.
...it's a good point you make about needing to be versed in survival skills in addition to just buying some gear,

...but I think you under-estimate the value of the forum when you say the forum isn't all that useful.

Stick around for a while, and you'll likely to see portrayed here, (alongside all the obviously well intended offerings), some exceptionally excellent examples of advice and behavior that one should avoid at all costs.

You're right about one thing though, at times it surely would be a good idea to have a 'professional' review the comments from time to time to be able to differentiate between the two........

Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 AM

27 posts, read 123,938 times
My message was not intended to say "this forum is not useful". But, to give extreme caution to those asking, whom are strictly followers and might be prone to thinking this is all there is to know. There are many holes in all the advise of our postings. The usefulness of the forum is to recommend proper training and instruction that can not possibly given by anyone via this forum.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:52 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
well, all I've really learned, after years, is that attitude is the difference between adventure and disaster.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:47 PM

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered."

Disaster is quite another thing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska