Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM

413 posts, read 938,089 times

Advertisements

I'm never going to make it to Alaska at this point...

My poor little car. She's an '04 Cavalier. I've had it since May 2008, 135k miles. I've never had one problem with it.

Until now.

2 weeks ago, the fuel pump went out. $775

Thursday, she needed new tires. $325

Last night, the clutch went out. She's at the shop now, but he quoted me on the phone saying maybe $465. He has to take the whole transmission apart to get to it.

I'm an AmeriCorps volunteer. I make less than $4 an hour... I don't have boatloads of cash just laying around. Luckily, I'd been saving little bits of paychecks all year in my super-secret savings account so I would have money to move. Now I have to spend all that to fix my car.

I'm kind of afraid to drive it up there now. Although by this point, she's practically a new car, right? I was suppose to leave August 31st, with my start-date in Fairbanks Sept. 6th.

So now I'm rethinking my options: Do I fly up there (ticket would be paid for by AmeriCorps) and buy a car when I get there? Can I pick up a junker/fixer upper for like $1000? It only has to last a year! Do I risk driving it up there? If I do drive it up there, AmeriCorps reimburses me mileage, which will be like $1300. That's no chump-change. I don't get that if I don't drive, though. If I fly, I just get the ticket paid for, and $500 for 'baggage', or the cost of shipping some boxes through the postal service (too bad I can't convince them that hubby counts as baggage and they should pay for his plane ticket!).

Does anyone have any rich grandparents that want to adopt an ambitious, hardworking, giving, mostly grown young lady? I'm housebroken, and I make a wonderful lasagna! My parents didn't love me enough as a child (or an adult, for that matter), so I do have some dependency issues, but if you get me a puppy, I promise not to bug you too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Yep, I'd fly up and pick up a junker.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM

437 posts, read 815,849 times
Ditto. And good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yep, I'd fly up and pick up a junker.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
dump the car....I bought a good running...not so pretty car while in Alaska last summer for $1000....just put 2000+ miles on it in 3 wks last month touring around Alaska! can be done

Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
People do that all the time in the bush. There are cars that have gone through a dozen nurse or teacher owners, Barrow Beaters we call them (in Barrow). The cost of shipping a car to Barrow can exceed moving allowances so not too many bring their own car up there.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
The best truck I ever had was one I picked up for a thousand bucks in the interior.

But since you've had all that work done on your car, it might be okay to drive it up unless your mechanic is a thief and an idjit such as the one who "fixed" my fish truck last month.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,275 times
I think I would take the plane ticket and pick up another vehicle when you get here. Sell your car there for what ever you can get for it. If you fly you eliminate the possiblility of getting stuck between neither here, nor there and few if any options.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
That would be a really tough call for me. $1300 pays for your current repairs, you just have to pay for the fuel to get there... Plus, you HAVE your car there so (and your husband). Still sounds to me like a better deal to drive - but with 135k miles on the clock there is always the possibility that something else will go wrong on the way up.

Plus, you could probably sell your car when you are up there if you decide to go back to the lower 48... Just my .02.

Other option would be to sell your car before you leave - which would help out with expenses for the way up. That might work out even better. When was the last time the timing belt/chain was replaced? Water pump? Radiator flushed? Brake Fluid changed/flushed? (I assume you change the oil regularly)

Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
Where are you coming up to? If Fairbanks, sell it. This kind of cold is hard on old belts and hoses and all. I was a VISTA Supervisor for a while here when my organization held the VISTA Umbrella. I've got a car right now for sale, $800. It needs a new power steering pump and a heater switch. Pretty easy stuff for anyone who knows a bit about cars.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
oh... the muffler might be another one to add to the list... I would be very skeptical driving your car.. especially Alaska... take the advice and sell the car and buy the Barrow beater..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: