Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

305 posts, read 683,222 times

Advertisements

Aha, yet more termination dust...August 8
Aviation Camera Site Details page - Federal Aviation Administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
^ Bad link. What camera was it supposed to take you to?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM

305 posts, read 683,222 times
Chandalar Shelf
Aviation Camera All Cameras page - Federal Aviation Administration

Old 08-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Ah, Brooks Range, yeah I see the termination dust there. I want to drive the Haul Road at least once when I get up to Alaska; you think I'd get weird looks just walking around Deadhorse as just a random person rather than someone working on an oil rig? I mean, I could pass for an oil worker, but I just wonder that. Still going regardless, though.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
you think I'd get weird looks just walking around Deadhorse as just a random person rather than someone working on an oil rig?
Just go out and buy yourself a clip board, a pocket protector for pen leaks (load it up with pens and pencils), a utility keyring key chain loaded with lots of keys that open absolute nothing, a Swiss Army Knife, a hard hat with No Fracking Allowed painted on it, and you'll be good to go.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Ah, Brooks Range, yeah I see the termination dust there. I want to drive the Haul Road at least once when I get up to Alaska; you think I'd get weird looks just walking around Deadhorse as just a random person rather than someone working on an oil rig? I mean, I could pass for an oil worker, but I just wonder that. Still going regardless, though.

Well Deadhorse is a support "Town" for the oil field, nobody really lives there except a couple of people that are there more than anywhere else.

You can't really go anywhere outside of the limited road system in Deadhorse itself. There are a lot of tourist that drive up the haul road, look around, proclaim "Holy S**t" and drive-back south again. That normally isn't a pleasant description either!

But a lot of folks watch "Ice Road Trucker" and figure that is where they feel they need to be! Same with the "Deadliest Catch" and show up in Dutch Harbor looking for a boat job, which rarely happens.

Good luck though!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM

No, I know Deadhorse is not really a town, and I have read a couple of outside people's descriptions of it, something to that effect, LOL. The one guy was "very disappointed", hahahaa. See, my expectations are realistic. I know that I'm just driving up the Haul Road to see an oil field. The main reason I'm driving the Haul Road is to drive it and see the scenery (preferably in August the first time, and then once in the winter sometime). I'm a nerd for cars and trucks and I love driving long distances, and nothing appeals to me more than driving a road that will take me to the shores of the Beaufort Sea. Well, some things appeal to me more, but it appeals to me strongly, let's say that.

I'm a 275-pound guy with a big beard, and I think I'll fit in better than someone dressed the way a lot of people my age dress these days.

I will admit that Ice Road Truckers was my first exposure to the Dalton, although when I first started watching, they were doing much more intense ice road stuff, like driving all over the slope to different fields and all, not just driving up and down the Dalton. I don't know if any of those winter roads are still maintained, but they aren't on the show anymore, it's just up and down and some stuff in eastern Canada. But believe me, I don't make big life decisions based on television shows. If you think about it, for anyone who enjoys a good adventure, the Dalton is perfect. You get to drive the most remote road in the United States, see wildlife everywhere, camp out because the temperatures are perfect for it (in August, at least). Also, the Brooks Range alone is worth the trip in and of itself. It's a great trip to take, and you don't have to worry about missing your turn, heh. I guess I'll see what they think of me when I get there, eh? I like a good surprise.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
No, I know Deadhorse is not really a town, and I have read a couple of outside people's descriptions of it, something to that effect, LOL. The one guy was "very disappointed", hahahaa. See, my expectations are realistic. I know that I'm just driving up the Haul Road to see an oil field. The main reason I'm driving the Haul Road is to drive it and see the scenery (preferably in August the first time, and then once in the winter sometime). I'm a nerd for cars and trucks and I love driving long distances, and nothing appeals to me more than driving a road that will take me to the shores of the Beaufort Sea. Well, some things appeal to me more, but it appeals to me strongly, let's say that.
Sad thing is.... That after you drive all that way you are a few miles from the Beaufort Sea and you can't drive to it. It is all located on the oil Companies Leases and there is guard shacks at all points where the roads enter the Oil Fields. There is a tour company there that you can pay to go on a tour of the oil fields and they will take you up by the Ocean, but as an outsider, you are done at Deadhorse....

Quote:
I'm a 275-pound guy with a big beard, and I think I'll fit in better than someone dressed the way a lot of people my age dress these days.
That part you will fit in just fine...

Quote:
I will admit that Ice Road Truckers was my first exposure to the Dalton, although when I first started watching, they were doing much more intense ice road stuff, like driving all over the slope to different fields and all, not just driving up and down the Dalton. I don't know if any of those winter roads are still maintained, but they aren't on the show anymore, it's just up and down and some stuff in eastern Canada. But believe me, I don't make big life decisions based on television shows. If you think about it, for anyone who enjoys a good adventure, the Dalton is perfect. You get to drive the most remote road in the United States, see wildlife everywhere, camp out because the temperatures are perfect for it (in August, at least). Also, the Brooks Range alone is worth the trip in and of itself. It's a great trip to take, and you don't have to worry about missing your turn, heh. I guess I'll see what they think of me when I get there, eh? I like a good surprise.
Arggghh... The show is nothing like it really is, it is all hype. You can drive it all the way up, but unless you carry a lot of Arctic Gear and tools, I wouldn't recommend the drive in the dead of winter. You may make the trip with no issues, but when the Mercury drops, it gets really cold and parts break.

But the summer drive is doable with no real problems, if you break down a tow job is going to be a pricey investment. I would also carry a tire plug kit with a 12volt compressor and an extra spare tire. The road is tough of tires and Coldfoot is about the only place on the road for services between Fairbanks and Deadhorse. Yeah, Hilltop is a great place to get pie though as is the camp at the Yukon river, but they aren't really repair places...

Good luck though!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Sad thing is.... That after you drive all that way you are a few miles from the Beaufort Sea and you can't drive to it. It is all located on the oil Companies Leases and there is guard shacks at all points where the roads enter the Oil Fields. There is a tour company there that you can pay to go on a tour of the oil fields and they will take you up by the Ocean, but as an outsider, you are done at Deadhorse....
I will see what there is to see. And maybe if there isn't any possible way to see the ocean other than to pay some guy, hell I might do it. It isn't often that you get to go to the Arctic Ocean, can't exactly drive to Barrow or Wainwright, so yeah it'd be worth the $30 or whatever. It does suck that you can't drive to it, but I'm sure you can get up to the ocean one way or another. Despite your attempts to convince me that I'm going for no reason, I'll still be going. I'm in the habit of keeping promises I make to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Arggghh... The show is nothing like it really is, it is all hype. You can drive it all the way up, but unless you carry a lot of Arctic Gear and tools, I wouldn't recommend the drive in the dead of winter. You may make the trip with no issues, but when the Mercury drops, it gets really cold and parts break.

But the summer drive is doable with no real problems, if you break down a tow job is going to be a pricey investment. I would also carry a tire plug kit with a 12volt compressor and an extra spare tire. The road is tough of tires and Coldfoot is about the only place on the road for services between Fairbanks and Deadhorse. Yeah, Hilltop is a great place to get pie though as is the camp at the Yukon river, but they aren't really repair places...

Good luck though!
First of all, about the show, I am well aware of how far it is from the truth. I have talked to a couple of people who know about the industry and the drivers who have made clear what's real and what isn't. I am not basing this trip on Ice Road Truckers at all, I just said I first saw the damn road on Ice Road Truckers. Come on now, I'm not some fool, despite my user name.

I'm not going to drive it in the winter in my Honda. When I do it, it will be in a vehicle equipped for it, and well-equipped at that. I don't do things like this without a TON of preparation; I'm not your average dumba*s tourist. I understand that sometimes there is NOTHING you can do to be prepared, but you can sure as hell try. As corny as it is, you only get to live one time, and I'd sure rather be doing things that I enjoy than sitting around watching the TV. I have been warned by more than one person about driving the Dalton, but these people were not saying don't do it, just giving me pointers. I know that parts can break in the cold, but this will be a very well-maintained, very nice truck I'll be driving, something that I care for myself and keep in perfect condition and everything updated. I'm very diligent about vehicle maintenance.

And then, because something can still happen, I'm bringing plenty of Arctic gear, shelter, blankets, coats, food, water, and some humble pie to eat while I have to catch a ride with someone back to Coldfoot (or Fairbanks if needed) if my truck does have a part break.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Better cover your garden tonight if you live around Fairbanks.
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Frost advisory issued for parts of Tanana Valley tonight (http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/14966580/article-Frost-advisory-issued-for-parts-of-Tanana-Valley-tonight?instance=home_news_window_left_top_1 - broken link)

Geezz, and I was complaining the other morning because it got down to the mid 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska