Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yeah, because stock height on a 3/4 ton is plenty high.
If you have to duck when changing the oil, then it ain't high enough. That's what your average "Redneck" Wannabe Trucker will tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
LOL RedJacket....

I had a Jetta TDI and 45-50 MPG is right. I still cannot believe that there is not a "demand" for diesel cars in the US. The Jetta is only "affordable" and efficient one in the US - and even you will pay thousands more for it over a comparable gas model. The others are large, luxury barges (MB and BMW) that most people cannot afford. While they get better MPG than there gas counterparts, it is nowhere near the 45-50 that the Jetta gets.

I really wish we had the Diesel Jeep Wrangler and Toyota Diesel's here.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Well, yesterday I went and bought a brand-new 4X4 PU, but I guess I'm gonna disappoint the local rednecks: it's gas, not diesel: Silverado Z71. And no huge "mud-bogger" tires. Just a regular gas-guzzling V8.
(I have nothing against diesels...just can't afford the $45-$50K cost)

One thing I don't understand: it has a button on the dash that you can turn to select "2WD", "AWD", or "4WD". Huh? How can they have BOTH 4WD, and AWD? I thought that was mechanically impossible to have both...that it was one or the other, but not both? Nice...if they can pull that one out of the hat...

Bud

Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Well, yesterday I went and bought a brand-new 4X4 PU, but I guess I'm gonna disappoint the local rednecks: it's gas, not diesel: Silverado Z71. And no huge "mud-bogger" tires. Just a regular gas-guzzling V8.
(I have nothing against diesels...just can't afford the $45-$50K cost)

One thing I don't understand: it has a button on the dash that you can turn to select "2WD", "AWD", or "4WD". Huh? How can they have BOTH 4WD, and AWD? I thought that was mechanically impossible to have both...that it was one or the other, but not both? Nice...if they can pull that one out of the hat...

Bud
4WD is cross corner traction of tires, AWD is 4 tire traction, 2WD is just rear tire traction unless it has "positraction".

Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Well, actually, 4WD is all the wheels are spinning all the time. AWD is all the wheels are capable of spinning, but will only spin when needed in order to regain traction. Do you not have a 4H and 4L selection? I had a 2004 Z71 (phenomenal trucks, by the way), and it had buttons that were, "2Hi", "Auto 4WD", "4Hi", "4Lo". But yeah, congratulations on the truck, you lucky so-and-so, I would love one of those new Chevrolets. Although the F-150 EcoBoost with the killer MPG might be the only option if I'm getting a 1/2 ton.

But, BudinAK, you don't have to pay full price for any truck, and if you can afford to buy a brand new Z71, you can definitely afford a gently used diesel. I always opt for gently used over brand new because you can afford a nicer truck. Although I suppose it would be rather difficult to "gently use" a truck in Alaska.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
4WD means 2 differentials (front & rear) which, depending upon traction conditions could leave one with as few as 2 wheels turning (one on each axle), unless the difs are LS, Posi, or Lockers. Bud's truck sounds like it has some sort of selectable viscous-coupling option for the front dif that can allow you to safely leave it in the "AWD" mode all the time.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
4WD means 2 differentials (front & rear) which, depending upon traction conditions could leave one with as few as 2 wheels turning (one on each axle), unless the difs are LS, Posi, or Lockers. Bud's truck sounds like it has some sort of selectable viscous-coupling option for the front dif that can allow you to safely leave it in the "AWD" mode all the time.
thanks, you explained it better.... that's why when you are in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and turn the wheel sharply during cornering the vehicle "lurches" for lack of a better term....the wheels are corner to corner tracking. Our truck has both lock in hubs (lock manually) and has the turn button on the dash for selection which is a feature we wanted in case the knob malfunctioned we could still put it in 4x4.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
thanks, you explained it better.... that's why when you are in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and turn the wheel sharply during cornering the vehicle "lurches" for lack of a better term....the wheels are corner to corner tracking. Our truck has both lock in hubs (lock manually) and has the turn button on the dash for selection which is a feature we wanted in case the knob malfunctioned we could still put it in 4x4.
Yep. On my F250 I've got both a manual transfer case (with a shift lever) and manual hubs. On Fords at least, the automatic Hubs are vacuum actuated and I hear nothing but complaints about them. I know several people who have removed the factory auto hubs, blocked off the vacuum lines, and installed manual Warn or Marker Hubs.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yep. On my F250 I've got both a manual transfer case (with a shift lever) and manual hubs. On Fords at least, the automatic Hubs are vacuum actuated and I hear nothing but complaints about them. I know several people who have removed the factory auto hubs, blocked off the vacuum lines, and installed manual Warn or Marker Hubs.
ours is a Ford F350!...husband loves it....I call it the Fordasaurous or Great Gray Whale....cab and a half with 6 ft bed....turning radius of a deuce an a half! does move snow though!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
My old Dakota had a vacuum 4 wheel drive lever, ice would build up on it and it would pop the hose off. Some silicon fixed that, I put the warn hubs on it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska