Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:12 PM

645 posts, read 1,276,320 times

Advertisements

Wow, this country is truly scary when people champion jail sentences for cold showers and hot sauce. We’re neither talking about rape nor medieval torture. It’s no wonder why America has the highest incarceration rate in the entire world. The former Soviet Union, Communist China, and Cuba together have a lower incarceration rate per capita than The United States of America…

No, I don’t think that she should go to jail for disciplining with cold showers and hot sauce. Additionally, cold showers… The water coming out of the tap is never below 56 degrees in the coldest of places. It’s not like she’s dunking her kid in 30 degree water. Store bought hot sauce isn’t very hot. It’s more like tangy ketchup, and regardless of how sensitive you are, it’s not going to leave any damage or marks.

After reading all of the comments, this is why I’m so ashamed of being an American. We’re a land of prudes, zealots, and we champion draconian laws. What a faux free country we live in… This is a clear case of, “The Death of Commonsense in America…”

This case neither deserved national media attention nor criminal prosecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Well I posted this thread not to creat enmity. The post about what is wrong though is interesting. A culture which celebrates poor analysis of how to solve a childs issues and turns the adult into a child and supports through a TV visit to "dr" phil. So that said a culture is not what is on tv or in the courts. a culture is much larger and more stronger than the radically stupid people who don't ask for help with their children and how to problem solve behavior problems and then made worse by the "balloon boy" mentality. Criticism is easy. Fixing it is harder. This mother clearly IMO does not deserve jail time but does deserve education. she is lucky and her kid actually luckier in the long run. at least now adults in our culture will intervene hopefully and educate her AND her child about what is appropriate behavior.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
That hot sauce trick didn't work on my kids either. Wasn't long before I started catching them drinking it straight from the bottle! Along with A1 sauce and the pickle juice.
The hot sauce trick wouldn't have worked on me either. I drink Sri Racha, which is hotter than what that mother was giving her son.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I don't know what this mother would have done with me. I was in the first grade and I got spankings for acting up in class. My reason for acting up in class: I didn't want to go to school. I wanted to be at home watching Sesame Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: