Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times

Advertisements

Era Alaska

http://www.alaskaair.com/

Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

All that said, I am not the best winter driver, simply because of lack of experience compared to Northerners, and I am aware of that. If I am truly getting in way over my head, tell me.
Trust me, like clockwork, Northern Drivers go slip slidin' away every winter, especially when we get our first few snowfalls. They don't handle winter driving any better than those who've only done it a few times. Ditches are littered with cars driven by Northern Drivers who are clueless.

Common sense is all that's needed when driving snowy and/or icy roads.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
If cost is a significant factor, the suggestion has been made before that you can experience much of what you are looking for in the ANC area, with excursions into the Valley and down to Girdwood and the Penninsula. Also, imagine what the tow/recovery expenses would be if you became stuck somewhere in a remote location as opposed to staying close to civilization. That would probably ruin your trip (and budget) real fast!

Quote:
I may consider chopping the Valdez part of the trip off, as much as that would absolutely kill me. I know this all sounds very fanciful to you all, but Valdez, if it looks anything like it does in all the pictures (whether cloudy/foggy or not), is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen even pictures of. Plus, the amount of snow they get is a huge thing. I don't want to be up there and have the frustration that Nephler had about never seeing snowstorms. Anyway, please feel free to poke holes in my plans, seriously. That's why I came here.
In that case I would suggest driving to Whittier. You would still experience 99% of what Valdez is like (it is on PWS after all) while staying within 50 miles or so of ANC.

Quote:
So tell me a couple things. First off, what's the best place to research airfares between the different towns, if I were to go that route? Secondly, do the rental companies there really send you off in winter in some Ford Focus or do they give you a more substantial vehicle, at least with winter tires on it? Finally, the roads. Years ago, I did about 450 miles of driving across Quebec and eastern Ontario, and not around the cities. I was out on roads that turned to gravel a lot. Are the roads in Alaska that much worse than they are in somewhere like Quebec? I am not headstrong, and I by no means think that I am the best damn winter driver around (not even close), but I do know the general principles, how to control a slide, blah blah blah. I really do. It's the roads - and mother nature - that are the X-factor, and I know nothing about them. So I'm relying on you guys for that, since you live there and all. I have become acquainted with many frost heaves in the past, as well. All that said, I am not the best winter driver, simply because of lack of experience compared to Northerners, and I am aware of that. If I am truly getting in way over my head, tell me.
Just look at the Alaska Airlines website. I think the "super value" fare (or whatever they call it) from ANC to FAI is around $80 each way. That's not all that much more than it would cost for a tank of gas, and it then becomes a 45 minute flight as opposed to an all day trip.

Yes, the rental companies will give you a cheapo economy box if you select the lowest rate, but you can also request larger vehicles (even 4X4) with snow tires and studs if you want.

Where you are going you'll be travelling on well maintained, paved roads the whole time. Still icy of course, and the going will obviously change during periods of active snowfall or wet weather. Expecting variability is the key to planning for Alaska travel.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Good grief. All you do is talk about how much you like the snow and the cold. How you're an expert on all things Alaskan. Like I said, put up or shut up. The Tok Cutoff Highway has some awesome scenery. I've driven it a lot in the winter. They keep it pretty clear, not dry, but clear. If you can drive slow and cautiously there's very few roads that you can't drive on. Rent a four wheel drive vehicle, then get out there and explore. You aren't gonna experience crappola by flying over it. See it, touch it, feel it, smell it.!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Good grief. All you do is talk about how much you like the snow and the cold. How you're an expert on all things Alaskan. , then get out there and explore. You aren't gonna experience crappola by flying over it. See it, touch it, feel it, smell it.!!!!
That is what Alaska is all about. walk the walk - THEN talk the talk!!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM

455 posts, read 743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
If cost is a significant factor, the suggestion has been made before that you can experience much of what you are looking for in the ANC area, with excursions into the Valley and down to Girdwood and the Penninsula.
I completely agree with everything Moose just said. Alternatively perhaps you could do the same up in the Interior. If you do pass through my family and I will take you up to Fox or the Chatanika Lodge for dinner, our treat. Point is - winter is a risky time to try and cover the road system safely. Pick an area and soak it in. The suggestion to see Whittier vs. Valdez is an excellent one.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
I completely agree with everything Moose just said. Alternatively perhaps you could do the same up in the Interior. If you do pass through my family and I will take you up to Fox or the Chatanika Lodge for dinner, our treat. Point is - winter is a risky time to try and cover the road system safely. Pick an area and soak it in. The suggestion to see Whittier vs. Valdez is an excellent one.
How is the kid ever gonna live here if he doesn't take a chance and learn from his successes and mistakes???? You should be encouraging him to get out there and do it. Instead of being so freaking pessimistic. He ain't comin' up here to vacation. He's comin' up to see if he's got the cojones to hack living here, in the middle of winter. If they shrivel a little bit from the cold it ain't gonna kill him. If it does then it wasn't meant to be.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
That is what Alaska is all about. walk the walk - THEN talk the talk!!
Is that what Alaska's all about?

Really?

That you and your ilk creep around all Ship's posts, trolling his every word is disrespectful and insolent. He's a smart ambitious young man who is interested in all things Alaska. And in my opinion you have demonstrated a most un-Alaskan trait: inhospitality.

Does Ship occasionally pass along a naive comment or a bit of misinformation? Yes. Should he be corrected? Sure, why not. But don't tell me what "Alaska is all about" until you stop kicking around a kid in his early twenties who has a dream.

When I think of my Alaska I think of a place where people go out of their way to help out neighbors and strangers alike. That's what makes this forum, for a sparsely-populated state, one of the most active. Don't spoil it please.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
He ain't comin' up here to vacation.
I thought that's exactly what he was coming up here for. Why should he live out some sourdough fantasy when he's here for a few days? Sorry, I guess I missed the part where people who want to live here have to prove their "cajones".

Old 09-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
I thought that's exactly what he was coming up here for. Why should he live out some sourdough fantasy when he's here for a few days? Sorry, I guess I missed the part where people who want to live here have to prove their "cajones".
He needs to prove it to HIMSELF. Otherwise he'll be like so many others that come up here with fairy tale dreams only to have them dashed by the cold hard reality of WINTER. I hope he comes up in the middle of winter so he can see what it's really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska