Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Thanks, it was kinda confusing.

Stewart, BC & Hyder, AK - Recreation Guide for Stewart, British Columbia and Hyder, Alaska

Season:mid October - June or July Elevation:sea level - 8,000 feet Average Snow Fall:30 feet - 360 inchesAverage Temp:- 3 Celsius / 28 Fahrenheit Rating: Novice to Expert
Their Chamber of Commerce and the Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs say Hyder's average annual snowfall is either 162 or 176 inches. The numbers on the page you quoted are probably for the mountains above town, since it's about snowmachining (here, the average in the mountains is closer to 45 feet).

Hyder, AK, USA - Community Information for Hyder, Alaska
Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Last edited by tigre79; 09-20-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Personally Ship, if I wanted to go somewhere a little like Valdez but closer to civilization, I'd go to Seward. It's an actual fully-functioning town, situated on a small flat spot at the base of a mountain near the head of a fjord with mountains all around it. Just like Valdez. And the Kenai Fjords isn't that dissimilar to Prince William Sound either, at least the part nearest to Valdez. But that's not going to give you any idea of what it's like to live out here, just what it sort of looks like. I think Frostnip has stated it best with the marathon analogy. To really get it you have to be here through an entire winter, and have to maintain a vehicle, shovel snow, chip ice off the driveway, run errands in a snowstorm, drive hundreds of miles on icy, snowy roads, and all of that. If you think at all that you want to move here you do need to come up at least a couple times in different seasons, but don't think for a minute that you're really getting a feel for what it's like to live here.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Their Chamber of Commerce and the Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs say Hyder's average annual snowfall is either 162 or 176 inches. The numbers on the page you quoted are probably for the mountains above town, since it's about snowmachining (here, the average in the mountains is closer to 45 feet).

Hyder, AK, USA - Community Information for Hyder, Alaska
Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs
It think you're right. I'd like to go back and visit Hyder in the winter.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Personally Ship, if I wanted to go somewhere a little like Valdez but closer to civilization, I'd go to Seward. It's an actual fully-functioning town, situated on a small flat spot at the base of a mountain near the head of a fjord with mountains all around it. Just like Valdez. And the Kenai Fjords isn't that dissimilar to Prince William Sound either, at least the part nearest to Valdez. But that's not going to give you any idea of what it's like to live out here, just what it sort of looks like. I think Frostnip has stated it best with the marathon analogy. To really get it you have to be here through an entire winter, and have to maintain a vehicle, shovel snow, chip ice off the driveway, run errands in a snowstorm, drive hundreds of miles on icy, snowy roads, and all of that. If you think at all that you want to move here you do need to come up at least a couple times in different seasons, but don't think for a minute that you're really getting a feel for what it's like to live here.
I agree that Seward is a good comparison with Valdez, minus the snow. I would also include Whittier in that comparison. Both Whittier and Seward get more snow than the Anchorage area just 120 miles to the north, but not as much as Valdez. Otherwise, all three are towns roughly the same size and nestled in fjords.

I can certainly do without the driving hundreds of miles on icy and snowy roads, however, in the 20 winters I have spent in Anchorage and Mat-Su Valley I have never shoveled snow, chipped ice off the driveway, or run errands in a snowstorm.

When I first moved to Alaska I figured that if I am going to live where snow is a constant every winter, a snow-blower would be a far better investment than a snow-shovel.

Maintaining a vehicle during the winter is also considerably easier if you have a heated garage. Apparently there are a lot of contractors who come up from Washington State and Oregon, where only carports are required, and build a great many carports in Anchorage.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joie_de_vivre View Post
Seems like hubby was always able to find work of some sort or another with having a CDL. He has driven truck for a living down in the lower 48, and up there he was able to drive truck for a construction company for awhile, as well as deliver fuel oil in the winter...water delivery is always needed as well...just a thought if you wanted something else to give you an edge up in AK.
This is actually one of the things I was thinking. I wasn't planning on learning a trade like machine work or welding. Or, well, I already know how to weld, but you know what I mean. I was thinking a CDL would be a good one. Thing is, I asked about that on the forum here once before, and I mostly got a bunch of posts like, "Hey dumbass, don't you know there are only a few roads here?" I have a love/hate relationship with this forum, I guess, but it's mostly when people aren't willing to be civil with me.

And I actually had thought about going to Seward, but I figured it would be quite different from the PWS area, just because it's in a different location. If I've learned anything, I've learned you can't assume anything about Alaska.

I will also be a snow-blower owner. Ever since I first used one in Mass after months of shoveling, I couldn't believe I had ever used a shovel. Tigre, maybe I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems like you think this trip is kind of silly or something. I mean, I know spending a week there won't tell me what it's like to spend a whole winter there; that's obvious. The whole reason I want to do a winter trip is to FEEL the cold in the interior and SEE the country for myself. Just to actually experience it first-hand, rather than through pictures. And since winter is the thing about Alaska that draws me, what better time to visit? Not to mention there's far fewer tourists, so it won't be all crowded.

I like to adopt the philosophy of "Don't be a tourist, be a traveler." That's why I ask the locals before I go.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
I loved Seward. If you can, go there Ship.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
People drive to Valdez all the time. I'm sure you'll be fine if you watch the weather.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Valdez has a 'nickname' - Little Switzerland - because of the mountains that surround the area; they look a lot like the Swiss Alps !!

My sons enjoyed Valdez over any other place(s) that we have lived in Alaska !

In Fact one of the very first jobs I ever worked on in Alaska was the elementary school in Valdez in 1981. 12 years later It sure was freaky walking into that school to register my sons.. Upon entering that school back then I saw a maintenence man walking down the hall way with some flourescent lamps in his hand... I asked - So what did you think of the "Calligraphy" ??? He looked at me like I had three heads.. What Calligraphy he asked .. Above the ceilings I said.. on the junction boxes.. He smiled real big and said.. How the heck could you possibly know about that ? I pulled out a pen and said.. I was the Artist !!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
but you know what I mean. I was thinking a CDL would be a good one.
If you're thinking about getting a CDL you should try and hook up with a company in NC who'll help pay the costs of the license and train you. I'm sure a CDL from NC would be transferable to Alaska.

That way, you can hit the ground running if or when you move to the state that has fewer people than itsy bitsy teeny weeny RI.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Just came across this image of one of my trips to seward - nice scenery for much of the journey

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska