Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
If you're thinking about getting a CDL you should try and hook up with a company in NC who'll help pay the costs of the license and train you. I'm sure a CDL from NC would be transferable to Alaska.

That way, you can hit the ground running if or when you move to the state that has fewer people than itsy bitsy teeny weeny RI.
That's part of what I was wondering, whether CDL's transfer state-to-state. I'm pretty sure you have to keep it up to date more intensively than a regular driver's license, like retesting and all that. I don't really know the specifics. Right now I kinda have to choose: get working on my pilot's license now, or get a CDL now. I'm just trying to find a place that will not only issue me a CDL license, but also teach me how to drive the trucks. It's easier to get hired on if you don't have to be trained how to drive a tractor/trailer, from what I understand.

This thread sure is interesting, just the varying opinions you get. Don't drive to Valdez, you'll be fine driving to Valdez, go to Seward instead, don't go to Whittier, no you should go to Whittier. I mean man, lots of choices and opinions. I just need to put it together into a plan that will work. Oh yeah, and that I can afford. That's gonna be the hard part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
That's part of what I was wondering, whether CDL's transfer state-to-state. I'm pretty sure you have to keep it up to date more intensively than a regular driver's license, like retesting and all that. I don't really know the specifics.
here's the Alaska DMV site with the info on transferring CDL
Commercial Driver License

Old 09-20-2011, 07:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
That's part of what I was wondering, whether CDL's transfer state-to-state. I'm pretty sure you have to keep it up to date more intensively than a regular driver's license, like retesting and all that. I don't really know the specifics. Right now I kinda have to choose: get working on my pilot's license now, or get a CDL now. I'm just trying to find a place that will not only issue me a CDL license, but also teach me how to drive the trucks. It's easier to get hired on if you don't have to be trained how to drive a tractor/trailer, from what I understand.

This thread sure is interesting, just the varying opinions you get. Don't drive to Valdez, you'll be fine driving to Valdez, go to Seward instead, don't go to Whittier, no you should go to Whittier. I mean man, lots of choices and opinions. I just need to put it together into a plan that will work. Oh yeah, and that I can afford. That's gonna be the hard part.
You won't get hired if you don't know how to drive the rig, and back up in tiny spaces, then add AK weather....You need a class and try to get some experience before planning on that, trucking is one job you need experience in AK. You need a regular physical as well, just like for a pilot license...

Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
People say things for certain reasons which you can't understand because they don't provide enough details.

For instance; Winter time can be a hairy time to drive to Valdez. Coming off that pass the road goes straight down & pretty scary when the first time I saw it.

And then there's the part that you can easily get stuck in Valdez if that snow is coming down too much and the pass is closed.

Climbing that hill in a snow storm is very dangerous because it used to be easy to drive off the road and go down that huge cliff. There never was a side guard rail there and there should be.

Certain places are not wise to drive to during the winter months. Others are just not worth the effort since you have a short amount of time and want to use it to your best advantage.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
I do envy you Ship... all my extra time and money is tied up in getting this house ready to sell so I can make my move... I would love to spend winter time in Alaska too before my move... I've driven in some pretty wintery conditions here in Wisconsin (LOTS of snow) then Indiana with LOTs of ice but not in the mountains in Alaska... I know you will take lots of pictures right??...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
You won't get hired if you don't know how to drive the rig, and back up in tiny spaces, then add AK weather....You need a class and try to get some experience before planning on that, trucking is one job you need experience in AK. You need a regular physical as well, just like for a pilot license...
Well, I know that Carlile will train drivers, but the listings with Lynden require experience. I will definitely need training, but it's harder to find than you might think. Right now the question is whether to start working on my instructor time for my private pilot's license or to start working on finding CDL training. Over time, the pilot's license will cost more if I'm going to get fully certified to be allowed to be compensated for flying, but it's what I would rather do.

Also, I feel like pilots will always be in demand, especially in Alaska, whereas truck drivers will not, as the climate continues to warm and the winter road trucking industry dies out. It's just a tough call. At this age, I have a lot of trouble making up my mind on what I want to do. I love the environment and natural resources, and I would love to work in that field, but right now a college degree isn't worth a whole lot more than a high school diploma because everyone has one. All this makes me definitely want to do something as a fall-back plan.

So, to go by land or by air, that is the question.

Oh, and naturesdreams, if this trip happens, you can bet your life savings I'll be taking a TON of pictures. Unfortunately, I'm no Ed Nephler, and my camera is a cheap point-and-shoot, so don't expect real great ones (for examples of my photography, you can look in the western NC forum). They will document the experience for sure, though.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
whereas truck drivers will not, as the climate continues to warm and the winter road trucking industry dies out. .
Huh?

Despite what the TV show implies, they do drive all year round.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
And then there's the part that you can easily get stuck in Valdez if that snow is coming down too much and the pass is closed.

Climbing that hill in a snow storm is very dangerous because it used to be easy to drive off the road and go down that huge cliff. There never was a side guard rail there and there should be.
Yes, there are no guard rails there...haha

thompson pass 1 - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Yeah, looks very dangerous in the winter...

Thompson Pass, Alaska - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
I will also be a snow-blower owner. Ever since I first used one in Mass after months of shoveling, I couldn't believe I had ever used a shovel. Tigre, maybe I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems like you think this trip is kind of silly or something. I mean, I know spending a week there won't tell me what it's like to spend a whole winter there; that's obvious. The whole reason I want to do a winter trip is to FEEL the cold in the interior and SEE the country for myself. Just to actually experience it first-hand, rather than through pictures. And since winter is the thing about Alaska that draws me, what better time to visit? Not to mention there's far fewer tourists, so it won't be all crowded..
I don't think it's silly, just that visiting isn't really anything like living somewhere. So don't think that because you like it when you visit that you'll necessarily like living somewhere. I still think it's a very good idea to visit, though. And about snow shovels, well out here it's not an either/or thing. You want every tool available. After all, you can't really use a snowblower on a boat, or the top of an enclosed trailer, or a roof, or the stairs to your front door. And out here you'll definitely chip ice and do everything in a snowstorm that you would on a regular day. Because snowstorms aren't exactly special events, and life doesn't stand still just because you're in the middle of a three-foot dump. The trash still needs to be taken out, the dog still needs to go potty, and you still need to go to the bank or the grocery store or the post office or work. Think about this, too: the schools here have never had a snow day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska