Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Yeah, looks very dangerous in the winter...
That's not bad at all. Just a little ice. Good visibility, no snow drifts in the road, and doesn't look too windy. Heck, I've seen worse conditions than that up there in the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
My point is that the State DOT takes good care of the road in the winter. This is the main highway for tractor trailer traffic to the slope.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 AM

Well...my point was that it's often in quite a bit worse shape than that.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Quote:
Well...my point was that it's often in quite a bit worse shape than that
That was my point also !!

Last edited by SityData; 09-21-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
People say things for certain reasons which you can't understand because they don't provide enough details.

For instance; Winter time can be a hairy time to drive to Valdez. Coming off that pass the road goes straight down & pretty scary when the first time I saw it.

And then there's the part that you can easily get stuck in Valdez if that snow is coming down too much and the pass is closed.

Climbing that hill in a snow storm is very dangerous because it used to be easy to drive off the road and go down that huge cliff. There never was a side guard rail there and there should be.

Certain places are not wise to drive to during the winter months. Others are just not worth the effort since you have a short amount of time and want to use it to your best advantage.
I agree. If it were summer, I would say drive by all means. However, winter is considerably different. I have driven to Valdez numerous times during the summer, and only twice during the winter. Every other time I have been to Valdez was during the winter, and I flew in. Even flying into Valdez can be iffy. I got stuck for three days in Valdez in one snowstorm, unable to fly out.

When I drove into Valdez during the winter I was using one of APSC vehicles, which was a 4x4, equipped with a radio, and extreme winter gear in case of an emergency. I also had the advantage of Pump Station #12 not being very far from the beginning of Thompson Pass.

There are no gas stations, or places that will provide help, between Glennallen and Valdez, a distance of 120 miles. While that may not be a problem during the summer because of the amount of traffic, it does make the journey more precarious during the winter. Not just because of the icy roads, but also because of the lack of traffic.

Then there are the avalanches. On both sides of Thompson Pass, where you are climbing or descending, are particularly prone to avalanches. The odds of being caught in an avalanche is extremely remote, but if one occurred prior to your arrival and blocked the highway, you could be stuck for several hours or even days before it is cleared.

As the vast majority of Alaskans are already aware, if you slide into the ditch or experience problems with your vehicle and have to pull over during the winter, DO NOT leave your vehicle. Your vehicle will provide shelter from the elements, even if it is not running. Attempting to hike out could very easily get you killed from exposure and hypothermia in a matter of hours if you are not prepared for the conditions outside. Like what happened to that family of four on their way to Glennallen from Sutton back in the 1990s. Their vehicle broke down during the winter and they tried hiking 10 miles back to their nearest phone they had passed. They were found, dead, within 5 miles of their vehicle.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
I'm certainly not a resident of Alaska and have not visited yet in the winter but even here in Wisconsin... you should NEVER travel in your car without extreme weather gear. I even travel with granola bars and a few food items that are non-perisable...

I have broke down in very cold below zero temperatures in a remote area when my children were very young. We had the gear for warmth (car would not start) and snacks to settle the children down. We were lucky enough to have someone drive by, stop and give us a ride all the way back to Madison. My children thought it was a great adventure and for me... thankful for a good samaritan that came to rescue us. (this was before cell phones by the way). Glitch is SO right... don't leave your vehicle because if we did.. we would have never been found.

Prepare for the worst case scenario... drive with caution paying attention to your surroundings and you will be fine.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I'm certainly not a resident of Alaska and have not visited yet in the winter but even here in Wisconsin... you should NEVER travel in your car without extreme weather gear. I even travel with granola bars and a few food items that are non-perisable...

I have broke down in very cold below zero temperatures in a remote area when my children were very young. We had the gear for warmth (car would not start) and snacks to settle the children down. We were lucky enough to have someone drive by, stop and give us a ride all the way back to Madison. My children thought it was a great adventure and for me... thankful for a good samaritan that came to rescue us. (this was before cell phones by the way). Glitch is SO right... don't leave your vehicle because if we did.. we would have never been found.

Prepare for the worst case scenario... drive with caution paying attention to your surroundings and you will be fine.
Your winters in Wisconsin are just as bad, or worse, than the winters we experience in the Mat-Su Valley and Anchorage area. Anchorage is closer to Omaha, Nebraska, or Des Moines, Iowa, winter temperature-wise, but with more snow.

I keep a couple MREs, a roll of toilet paper, a blanket, a flashlight w/spare batteries, a folding shovel, and a few road flares in my vehicle. I should also add a first aid kit, but I have not got around to buying one.

You will find lots of "good Samaritans" in Alaska, particularly during the winter when a little charity could mean the difference between life and death. A vehicle is also a lot easier to see when it is on the side of the road during our dark winters. If I came across a disabled vehicle in the middle of nowhere during the winter, I would make certain that it was not occupied before continuing my journey.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are no gas stations, or places that will provide help, between Glennallen and Valdez, a distance of 120 miles. While that may not be a problem during the summer because of the amount of traffic, it does make the journey more precarious during the winter. Not just because of the icy roads, but also because of the lack of traffic.
The Tiekel River Lodge (mile 56) and Tonsina River Lodge (mile 79) are both open year-round and have gas, food, a bar, and lodging. Tonsina also has a jacuzzi, sauna, and a massage therapist on staff. That's still not much in the way of civilization in the course of two hours, but there is traffic here and there (Valdezians aren't known to be afraid of driving in terrible conditions). Definitely make sure you have warm clothes or a sleeping bag/warm blankets, a tow strap, and a shovel at the very least.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
The Tiekel River Lodge (mile 56) and Tonsina River Lodge (mile 79) are both open year-round and have gas, food, a bar, and lodging. Tonsina also has a jacuzzi, sauna, and a massage therapist on staff. That's still not much in the way of civilization in the course of two hours, but there is traffic here and there (Valdezians aren't known to be afraid of driving in terrible conditions). Definitely make sure you have warm clothes or a sleeping bag/warm blankets, a tow strap, and a shovel at the very least.
and ... by all means - do not forget to bring a thermometer !! (dripping in sarcasm)

According to the medical staff on the pump stations - if you get frost bite; You need to prepare water @ 104 degrees to warm the injured part.

At which point I jumped up in the safety meeting and said. We are in an Aleyeska truck driving in an area that has rather bad condiitons; We go off the road and are stuck. The vehicle runs out of gas and something is wrong with the radio - My tool partner is getting cold and is beginning to show signs of frost bite. Let me borrow your thermometer and melt snow and heat it up in some type of pot or pan to prepare water @ 104 degrees F.

Do you realize how utterly stupid and lame that sounds ??? The safety people immediately took offense to my remarks. BUT.. I chimed in Eskimo's have a proven method for preventing and dealing with frostbite and it works surpreme.

I have been frostbit many times - too many times over the years. Let me tell you from experience. It hurts like hell when you use warmish water to warm up your hands. The pain is something you have all delt with in the past.

The Inupiaq method will not cause any pain at all. Instantly your hands or frost bit areas are warm & toasty. and you dont need no stupid thermometer.

You all know exactly what I am talking about.. someday if you are in that bind and hurtin for certain.. then and only then will you try it, out of desperation. It would truly be insane beyond description for me (or anyone) to ever lie about something so important. After that incident, I was in charge of all safety meetings concerning cold weather dangers & precautions on the pump stations I was working at. (for electricians & inspectors).

Yeah everyone has the same reply and thought - ewwww.. Yuk!

Wait some day- (I hope not) that you are in a bind and you are hurting!

Then and only then will you find out the truth - IT WORKS!! It is not myth it is not something I made up. It is actual fact !!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
Yes Sity... I remember and I have not tried your method yet even though last winter I had such pains in my toes and fingers from shoveling with wet gloves and sweaty feet... yes that was very dumb and painful but was trying to finish before I stopped.... YIKES... don't do that right ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska