Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM

275 posts, read 579,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They have far fewer cloudy nights in the interior than we have here in the valley, making it an ideal location. When I no long have to work in Anchorage, I will most likely move to Delta Junction. Fewer people, and better night skies.
That's what I've found around here, lots of cloud cover. I like the Delta idea, very dark skies around there.

Quote:
As far as a good "dark sky" location around Wasilla, I prefer Hatcher Pass. But I do not recommend it when the winds are kicking up. I do not live far from Settler's Bay, which is not too bad as far as light pollution goes, but there are times when sodium levels are too high for good photographs. Particularly when it is partly cloudy. I pick up the reflected light from Anchorage.
I'll have to take a look at Hatcher Pass when we have a clear, non windy night. I haven't taken a look at the sky from Settler's Bay area. Certainly sounds ok under the right conditions. I'm too close to central Wasilla, lot of light polution from the lights, though the south west view isn't bad.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You can buy a pretty decent telescope for under $400. A Dobsonian telescope will give you the most light-gathering ability for the buck, but they can be difficult to move around. Refracting telescopes are the most expensive for the amount of light they gather. A Newtonian reflecting telescope uses mirrors, while refractors use lenses which will make refractors more expensive. With both reflecting and refracting telescopes you will also need a good mount.

Preferably one with a German Equatorial Mount (GEM). A GEM will allow you to track the star, moon, planet, etc. over long periods of time for photographs.

Orion makes some of the cheaper telescopes and mounts, and they are pretty good.

Here is a list of some manufacturers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

Thank both of you for the info, I will look into them. It looks like a lot fun.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Very nice. Do you do any imaging? That Takahashi 4" APO refractor would be perfect for some very nice images.

I decided to sink the bulk of my money into a good equatorial mount and a cheaper telescope. I figured I could upgrade the telescope at a later date. I am currently using an Orion Apex 102mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope, with an Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial GoTo GEM, and a cheap Celestron eyepiece and filter kit.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 AM

370 posts, read 883,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I see your fresh bread, and raise you bacon, or fresh brewed coffee.

Of course the ideal is bacon sandwiches made with fresh baked bread, and a cup of fresh brewed coffee.
Hi,

My absolute favorite sandwich is "bacon and egg on toast that was seared in bacon grease!" called Bacong grease sandwich. The only thing better is to have some tomato on it too.

Yum.

Hey, that bread recipe must've made each rack in the oven full, no?

[edit to add wintertime hobbies, to keep in line with the thread] I have only had Chicago and NY state winters to be outside but, like to hike. My indoor hobby is Middle Eastern dance and also reading, [edit again to add] oh gosh, I almost forgot my other indoor hobby is swimming. I don't do it consistantly but, when I found out I was going to AK got two competitive training style two peice suits. My best friend said, "you are the only person I know who would get bikinis to go to AK!" . My outdoor is running and I really hope to try snowshoeing, (with a group to start.)
Jen
p.s. Yes, I can make a meal out of fat but, figure its genetic ;0)

Last edited by Gennaver; 11-13-2011 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: to add the hobbies

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
I cross-country ski. I tried snowshoeing for the first time recently, though, and I like it better. I'm working on improving my photography skills, too.

For indoorsy stuff, I read a lot. I enjoy video games, too...anything with a good story. Every year I try to get into some kind of crafty thing, too, but I swear everything I build/make ends up looking like kindergartener macaroni noodle art. I do not have a gift for handicrafts.

My group of friends around here makes a point of getting together at least once a week to cook dinner, play board games, watch a DVD, etc. It's too easy to go into hibernation mode and get antisocial this time of year.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Well plowing snow of late seems to be my new favorite winter job. Did play with the snowmachine for a bit though!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 AM

243 posts, read 224,971 times
Greetings from LA,

I've always admired people from Alaska for being able to resist those brutal cold winters.
Here in Los Angeles, we sometimes get lows of 40s and I'm dying :/ (yes I know embarrassing!!)

But I always wanting to go to Alaska for a real winter! Something about the night lights, and no sun for months interests me! Specifically, Barrow, AK!! I have found myself doing a lot of research on this northern city quite a lot. The fact that its so remote interests me!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,905,396 times
The second winter I was here, I decided to choose a new winter project every year. I chose to learn about henna, the art, history, chemistry, mixing, applying, ect. I immersed myself in it and it has kept me busy for several years now. Here is some of my work.
Collection: Henna Body Art (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloud9doula/collections/72157621211772306/ - broken link)

This year I am learning to play the fiddle.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
The second winter I was here, I decided to choose a new winter project every year. I chose to learn about henna, the art, history, chemistry, mixing, applying, ect. I immersed myself in it and it has kept me busy for several years now. Here is some of my work.
Collection: Henna Body Art (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloud9doula/collections/72157621211772306/ - broken link)

This year I am learning to play the fiddle.
well lady you found the artistic side of yourself because not many can create such beautiful henna work! can't wait to hear you "fiddle'n" some day! oh an go dog sledding with ya!~

Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Specifically, Barrow, AK!! I have found myself doing a lot of research on this northern city quite a lot. The fact that its so remote interests me!
I'm leaving this thread right now and never coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska