Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Let me start by saying, since I didn't even know about this story until about a week ago, you can't classify me as a one putting him on a pedestal. But I must say that I find all of the hate surrounding this guy's death in Alaska very sad.

The Chris McCandless story is an Odyssey with only the final chapter being in Alaska. Disputing the Hollywood-version of this story is one thing. Yet, being hateful about someone that seems to inspire many folks is unfortunate.
Hate? All what has been said is that McCandles was stupid enough not to survive his ordeal, and that the reason why we hear about him so much is because of a movie that idealizes him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM

61 posts, read 99,736 times
i think hating mcandliss is an overstatement.. people seem to hate the fact that he was glorified as a hero, which then springs numbskulls from all over to want to try the same things he did.. unfortunately this brings out other issues like them getting stranded, killed, or pilfering somebody else's cabin or trashing that bus. the glorification of the Bus has led to actual isues. All these guys subconsciously want to go out and get famous too..
so its not the hatred of the death it the Hollywood spin making it seem like he was such a great dude.. such a prolific .. life changing hero or something.. If it wasn't reported and made a movie of he wouldn't have impacted any of us and I would have never heard of the dude..

Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
I was moved by the story but you sure won't see me tromping out into the wilderness with a bag of rice. There are many tragic stories of real life adventures such as the race for the south pole. Scott used ponies and Amundsen used dogs. Amundsen won and Scott died. The book compared Chris's fatal quest with other fatal quests and attempted to explain man's desire to do unorthodox things that may lead to death. Even Chris admitted his journey to Alaska may "prove fatal" in a postcard. In no way, shape or form was the book a glorification of what happened, even with its known misstatement of the facts.

On a side note, autosies are not infallable. I once saw one by the chief medical examiner in a state that listed cause of death as extreme intoxication by marijuana that caused the diceased to pass out on train tracks and be ran over by a train. To me it sounds more like suicide.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
There is no evidence that shows McCandless burglarized the nearby cabins.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no evidence that shows McCandless burglarized the nearby cabins.
Unfortunately, this is some thing else that you've gotten wrong. Really, I appreciate what you are trying to do here but you're just spreading a lot of false information that you've gotten from the book and the movie.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 PM

753 posts, read 842,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Unfortunately, this is some thing else that you've gotten wrong. Really, I appreciate what you are trying to do here but you're just spreading a lot of false information that you've gotten from the book and the movie.
Well, where is your evidence of this? Not saying it didn't happen. I'm truly curious. First I've read of that.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
The book did mention the burglarized cabins.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM

753 posts, read 842,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
The book did mention the burglarized cabins.
Ahh. OK.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

The book mentioned the burglarized cabins and stated that there was no evidence that McCandless had been the culprit. One of the owners of the cabins opined that he didn't think McCandless had been responsible. Is he a suspect? Yes. Do we know he committed the crime? No. It is those who matter of factly say he was the burglar who are spreading mis-information. As for what I am "tryng to do here" - I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps you mean I am making sure the record is kept straight.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The book mentioned the burglarized cabins and stated that there was no evidence that McCandless had been the culprit. One of the owners of the cabins opined that he didn't think McCandless had been responsible. Is he a suspect? Yes. Do we know he committed the crime? No. It is those who matter of factly say he was the burglar who are spreading mis-information. As for what I am "tryng to do here" - I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps you mean I am making sure the record is kept straight.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. You've mentioned both the book ad the movie as definitive sources here, and it's widely known that they were both full of fallacies.

He may or may not have burglarized the cabins. I don't know. I wouldn't have blamed him if he had. He was starving.

It's probable that he did, though I'm not someone who would consider it a "crime". Many Alaskans who have remote cabins purposefully leave food in them in case someone else needs it.

By spreading false information, I'm alluding to your repeated statements that he did not have map. You conveniently dropped that, though, when you were proven wrong about it.

At the same time, you continue to refer to the book as some sort of gospel truth concerning the situation---when so many of the so called facts in it have been proven wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska