Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Well...I spend more time than anyone here talking about Alaska's biggest mass murder. In fact I think I'm the only one that ever mentions it. That's probably because it happen very close to where and I lived, and because I'll never forget when my grandmother and I went around a corner and there it was, the seiner on fire in the bay. Starlite lives close to where the McCandless thing happened, and he sees much ore of those who go out to "the bus" on pilgrimages or whatever,so it stands to reason that he'd talk abut it more than those who haven't experienced that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-14-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
We are taught to respect the weather, the animals, the trees, everything. If you don't respect it, it will kill you. What part of this was he taught? Nothing. That is why he's no longer alive. He didn't respect anything.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
We are taught to respect the weather, the animals, the trees, everything. If you don't respect it, it will kill you. What part of this was he taught? Nothing. That is why he's no longer alive. He didn't respect anything.
Well said.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I'm not taking any sides as I have no horse in this race, but it sure appears as if starlite9 is the one obsessed with McCandless. I read this forum much more than I post, and I cannot recall anyone who spends more time talking about him.
If you don't want to take sides, at least read the fist post on this thread.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,239 times
Quote:
I'm not taking any sides as I have no horse in this race, but it sure appears as if starlite9 is the one obsessed with McCandless. I read this forum much more than I post, and I cannot recall anyone who spends more time talking about him.
I highly doubt that starlite9 is obsessed over this. I think he is trying to get the point out Chris and many others are dying in his back yard coming and heading to the bus. How many times have you flown your plane over where McCandless as starlite9 has? If McCandless was in trouble and made some signals , smoke starlite9 may of been able to safe his life. If you read back the many times starlite9 has flown over the sight and no distress signs from the air.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well...I spend more time than anyone here talking about Alaska's biggest mass murder. In fact I think I'm the only one that ever mentions it. That's probably because it happen very close to where and I lived, and because I'll never forget when my grandmother and I went around a corner and there it was, the seiner on fire in the bay. Starlite lives close to where the McCandless thing happened, and he sees much ore of those who go out to "the bus" on pilgrimages or whatever,so it stands to reason that he'd talk abut it more than those who haven't experienced that.
Rep!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Rep!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

While you were spending more time than anyone else talking about Alaska's biggest mass murder, were you accusing others of being obsessed with it? If you were, I'd find that odd, for the same reason I find it odd he is accusing someone else of being obsessed when he has talked about it ad nauseum.

Last edited by NomadicBear; 02-14-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
It never really achieved any notoriety outside of the panhandle. No one ever made pilgrimages to the murder site and it was never made into a book and movie that both contained some significant factual errors. I suppose if it had turned out that way I'd be frustrated.

On a smaller scale--the tv show Northern Exposure was loosely based on the town of Talkeetna. People would come up there because they were fans of the show, and most of them that I met were all right,but there were some who acted as if the show was reality and acted as if they knew more about Talkeetna than the locals did because they had seen a television show. It was a little annoying.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:

Clearly I didn't talk about it enough, people have died trying to reach the bus to be like Chris, and they are.

I don't want any more People to die because they are idiots, it's that simple. But I'm starting to see the wisdom in letting them go.... When their gene pool
Is Clearly defective and can't see the forest because the trees are in the way!

As Met said, this is my back hard and I have been on the trail during hunting season and met these people on their pilgrimage to the bus. They are/were clearly obsessed with seeing the Chris experiances as many here are! They carried little gear, food or much else with no clue to what to expect, some with almost glazed eyes with anticipation.

Pretty much a waste of time trying to talk them out of going back there, most don't make it there anyway, they get lost, run out of food or the Mosquitos and gnats eat them alive because they forgot a simple bottle of bug dope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska