Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Because they are the ones who spend money to buy the books, movies, watch reality shows an not know what the "real wild an mother nature" can dish out to someone.
Well, as one of the "lower 48's", I'm pretty sure I've read more threads in the Alaska forum about reality shows than ANY OTHER THREAD. It makes no difference to me how people feel about McCandless. I have my opinion and it lies somewhere in the middle. I don't idealize him but I enjoyed the story. Honestly, not having heard of it before I watched the movie, I wouldn't even have known the last part was going to be in Alaska...but regardless of my thoughts of this particular story, I do think it's unfair to make a blasting statements like this one...as if they are beneath you.

I bet I could name five reality shows based in Alaska right now w/o putting any effort into it. I don't think this a good statement and doesn't make your point at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Well, as one of the "lower 48's", I'm pretty sure I've read more threads in the Alaska forum about reality shows than ANY OTHER THREAD. It makes no difference to me how people feel about McCandless. I have my opinion and it lies somewhere in the middle. I don't idealize him but I enjoyed the story. Honestly, not having heard of it before I watched the movie, I wouldn't even have known the last part was going to be in Alaska...but regardless of my thoughts of this particular story, I do think it's unfair to make a blasting statements like this one...as if they are beneath you.

I bet I could name five reality shows based in Alaska right now w/o putting any effort into it. I don't think this a good statement and doesn't make your point at all.
I will admit I don't and can't walk on water yet JK... Point being people move head to a environment that have no idea what the weather/environment can dish out. Alaska has one if not the harshest environment in the USA. In minutes to as little as a few hours you can be dead. Anytime you want to take your .22 rifle and a bag of rice and head out to the bus be my guest.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I will admit I don't and can't walk on water yet JK... Point being people move head to a environment that have no idea what the weather/environment can dish out. Alaska has one if not the harshest environment in the USA. In minutes to as little as a few hours you can be dead. Anytime you want to take your .22 rifle and a bag of rice and head out to the bus be my guest.
OK, now that makes sense! (Um, even about not walking on water yet--hehe) And I believe you about the enviroment. Being from Seattle (closer to AK than I am now living in Dallas!!), I've always had a fascination with Alaska. Probably because it's just so beautiful and it seems so mysterious. Northern Exposure didn't help, although I loved that it was filmed in Roslyn, just a quick step from Seattle. Remember Marilyn? She was my favorite character.

Anyway, I've gotta say: if folks want to go ill-prepared for this environment, then it should be all on them. From what I've read here and other posts, it doesn't end up being that way when rescuers are involved. It's sad, really. But I do wonder just how many people actually do that. I may "think" I love Alaska, but I'm smart enough to know that it's one of the harshest environments out there. I would love to think I could make it in one of the cities...Juneau, Anchorage...but have no idea if I could in Fairbanks or Nome. I honestly don't know.

I really do wonder how many people just "talk" about it and never really go there...and IF they go to see the bus, are they really romanticizing it? Are they really being that stupid? Or are they adventurers looking for an adventure? One can only hope that they are more prepared. And that's one of the things I got from the movie (haven't read the book): it was the spirit of the journey and willingness to embrace new and scary things. I just cried at the end...so awful b/c it was crazy to be in that position. For me, it was reinforcement of how something so pretty can kick your butt into the ground for good if you don't be careful!

I'm thinking that might be true of a lot of pretty things...

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Now you are spreading mis-information about me (I don't particularly mind personally - I knew my viewpoint in an Alaska thread wasn't going to get me any +3's) but it is disingenuous to say the least. Nowhere have I referred to the book (or of all things, the movie!) as "definitive" or "gospel truth". This is simply you putting words into my mouth. I have never referenced the movie as a secondary source, I have referred to the book - as a source. Never did I say it was or allude to it as definitive. I have researched primary sources that provide factual basis for my claims. I never "dropped" his not having a map, I stated that it is clear he didn't use it, which is the same thing as his not having one. People make too much of a deal over the map. His misjudgment was attempting to cross the Teklanika after breakup.

It seems that you understand that no evidence has been presented that he burglarized the cabins. That is all I want to make clear. Unfortunately, others are not so rational. McCandless opinions generally come in two flavors - either you hate him and think he is stupid, incompetent, and a burglar or you are inspired by him and then make him into some deity.

It is better to lose the biases and look at the situation objectively. You appear to have done this and I appreciate it.
Well concidering the cabin owners went out on the last run to their cabins by snowmachine, the cabins were fine, Chris goes out and the trail is impassable due to spring breakup til fall when the hunters found his body. That pretty much leaves Chris the only person to break in to the cabins... Not a lot of suspects here!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well concidering the cabin owners went out on the last run to their cabins by snowmachine, the cabins were fine, Chris goes out and the trail is impassable due to spring breakup til fall when the hunters found his body. That pretty much leaves Chris the only person to break in to the cabins... Not a lot of suspects here!
It is a purely circumstantial case you make. If you will say that Chris is suspected of breaking into the cabins - that would be accurate. Otherwise you are spreading mis-information, and viciously attacking a dead man without just cause.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
It is a purely circumstantial case you make. If you will say that Chris is suspected of breaking into the cabins - that would be accurate. Otherwise you are spreading mis-information, and viciously attacking a dead man without just cause.
You clearly are blinded by your obsession with McCandless.

It is a mute point, he starved to death when he shouldn't have, even after all the cabins had all their food removed. You can tell the differance between a human breaking into a canin and an animal. Since someone needed food and they were there for months but only brought s few weeks worth of food, that makes for a pretty compelling evidence of guilt. People get convicted for a lot more with less evidence!

The isuue is he died of his own doing. I don't want anyone else going out and dying for the same perverse reasons, going out into the wild and coming back is what I'm interested in seeing. Who really cares if he broke in to cabins and stole food, he died.

Had he made it to my cabin and broke in because he was starving, then so be it, I can get more food. If he broke in because he wanted to just steal and vandalize it, then we are going to have some major issues that aren't pleasant!

Which is the same view those cabin owners have, he was starving and still died, how can you be upset with someone that has a true emergency even if it is self inflicted.

Course if you lived in this enviroment, you'd know that. It is a strange concept if your a city dweller!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You clearly are blinded by your obsession with McCandless.

It is a mute point, he starved to death when he shouldn't have, even after all the cabins had all their food removed. You can tell the differance between a human breaking into a canin and an animal. Since someone needed food and they were there for months but only brought s few weeks worth of food, that makes for a pretty compelling evidence of guilt. People get convicted for a lot more with less evidence!

The isuue is he died of his own doing. I don't want anyone else going out and dying for the same perverse reasons, going out into the wild and coming back is what I'm interested in seeing. Who really cares if he broke in to cabins and stole food, he died.

Had he made it to my cabin and broke in because he was starving, then so be it, I can get more food. If he broke in because he wanted to just steal and vandalize it, then we are going to have some major issues that aren't pleasant!

Which is the same view those cabin owners have, he was starving and still died, how can you be upset with someone that has a true emergency even if it is self inflicted.

Course if you lived in this enviroment, you'd know that. It is a strange concept if your a city dweller!
I don't have an "obsession" with McCandless, whatever that means.

You apparently care about the cabin break-in because you made a point to say that he was the burglar. One of the cabin owners said that he doubted it was McCandless who broke in. If you really believe what I highlighted above then why make it an issue? The fact remains that no conclusive evidence exists to state unequivocacly that McCandless broke into the cabins. Until there is, it is irresponsible to make statements that deny this. You can say he is suspected - that is fine. Do not say "McCandless broke into the cabins and stole foiod."

Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Now you are spreading mis-information about me (I don't particularly mind personally - I knew my viewpoint in an Alaska thread wasn't going to get me any +3's) but it is disingenuous to say the least. Nowhere have I referred to the book (or of all things, the movie!) as "definitive" or "gospel truth". This is simply you putting words into my mouth. I have never referenced the movie as a secondary source, I have referred to the book - as a source. Never did I say it was or allude to it as definitive. I have researched primary sources that provide factual basis for my claims. I never "dropped" his not having a map, I stated that it is clear he didn't use it, which is the same thing as his not having one. People make too much of a deal over the map. His misjudgment was attempting to cross the Teklanika after breakup.

It seems that you understand that no evidence has been presented that he burglarized the cabins. That is all I want to make clear. Unfortunately, others are not so rational. McCandless opinions generally come in two flavors - either you hate him and think he is stupid, incompetent, and a burglar or you are inspired by him and then make him into some deity.

It is better to lose the biases and look at the situation objectively. You appear to have done this and I appreciate it.
Perhaps I have you confused with another poster in this (or one of the other similar threads) thread, but I think it was you who stated that the book said that he didn't have a map...that's what I meant by using it as a definitive source. I'm not going to go back and check right now, though--internet connection is screwy today. But yeah, I do think you said the he didn't have a map. We can only reply to what you say, not what you might have "meant".

He made more than one misjudgement---the first of them going out there so unprepared in the first place.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 PM

Well this is sure flipping a lot rocks over!

Didn't realize that so many people that have no clue to what the enviroment is like outside the city. No wonder why so many have died trying to be like McCandless and see the Bus!

Go for it guys! Sure will clean up the gene pool, which is just sad!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM

61 posts, read 99,870 times
there is a lot of other information out there.. I did several hours of reading.. several sites.. weed thru the hype and you can find a lot of truth.. i wouldnt use the forums as a be all.. were here for opinions and information not necessarily facts. not that we might spread bits of untruth but like all humans we might use our views on what happened to make our point.. fact was he was considered a suspect in some cabin break ins.. most think without the looting he would have expired in a much shorter time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska