Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 PM

6,380 posts, read 14,631,739 times

Advertisements

I posted this on another "Wild" thread. But figured I would just Pop a few bubbles!

Quote:
Well with all this hoopla, I'm heading to my cabin by snowmachine Sunday Morning, which is directly North of the magic bus by about 20 miles +- a mile or two!

Will carry a .44 Mag pistol, camera, flares, chain saw, food and a host of other gear as if I was going out for a week, but will only be going out and coming back. Once the trail is broken, will haul more gear out for a few days stay! Love the place! But even at the dark of winter, there is a lot of hazards there to encounter. So I over "prepare", I don't like suprises! Will be traveling with a couple of friends and will have a very good day!

Weather could drop, one could get stuck on the trail or even better, at the cabin! But being prepared is by far a much better option than not. A forty mile wilderness hike through waist deep snow isn't what I do anymore! If one did break down, it would be 24 hours before the snowmachine tracks set up hard enough to walk out, and having gear makes that a lot nicer hike! Haven't hauled my snowshoes for twenty years, just camp and walk out the next day!

By the way, since McClueless didn't have snowshoes, he followed the snowmachine trail up to the bus from the other people going to their cabins in the area he later broke into.

There really isn't that much mystic to this guy, it has been blown way out of reality. During the late spring, he just "followed the yellow snowmachine road!" to the "Emerald Bus"! (for the clueless, that is a jab at the "Wizard of Oz", which was far more entertaining!)

So now you newbies know a bit about winter trails, that takes the fun out of the story! Did I mention that the year he went out there we had almost 12 feet of snow, so you can figure he had no option to going into the "Wild" without following someone else's blazed trail!
Just the simple fact that McCandless didn't have snowshoes during one of our couple of years of very deep snow, he would have been in well over his head! The movie made it look as if he wandered around, when in fact he just follows the established winter trail right up to the bus.

He carried enough food for a week at best, maybe two weeks. Course all throughout the movie, once at the bus they kept showing him losing weight. He broke into other local cabins to steal food others had stockpiled for their own use. had it not been for his stealing from others that had worked hard to stock supplies, he would have died months sooner. He simply had no idea on how to survive in a place he wasn't familiar with, the only skill he brought was the one to steal from the populated world he hated.

Now he is history, and people can't seem to see in its proper context. There wasn't anything noble about his trek down a winter trail, and I truely feel sorry for those that think this is somehow noble.

Those people that have him on a pedestal, should stop and realize, this guy was destined to die a lonely death somewhere, he's simply was clueless and arrogant, which are two of the most deadly factors for a person to have! If one was killed by a moose, wolf or bear, that may have been totally out of their control, but he slowly starved to death, and made no attempt to contact the airplanes flying over him almost daily, even I flew over him and there was nothing to indicate distress!

He paid the price with the hurt he inflicted on his family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM

753 posts, read 847,118 times
Let me start by saying, since I didn't even know about this story until about a week ago, you can't classify me as a one putting him on a pedestal. But I must say that I find all of the hate surrounding this guy's death in Alaska very sad.

The Chris McCandless story is an Odyssey with only the final chapter being in Alaska. Disputing the Hollywood-version of this story is one thing. Yet, being hateful about someone that seems to inspire many folks is unfortunate.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,753,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Let me start by saying, since I didn't even know about this story until about a week ago, you can't classify me as a one putting him on a pedestal. But I must say that I find all of the hate surrounding this guy's death in Alaska very sad.

The Chris McCandless story is an Odyssey with only the final chapter being in Alaska. Disputing the Hollywood-version of this story is one thing. Yet, being hateful about someone that seems to inspire many folks is unfortunate.
Why do so many people from the lower 48 pick losers to be inspired by?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 PM

753 posts, read 847,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Probably just to spite folks like you.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,971,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post

I didn't see anything hateful in Starlite's post. And Stiffy is playing under his bridge tonight (again).

Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,564,912 times
Quote:
Why do you think he inspires anyone? There might be a few idiots out there, but I suspect most of the people visiting the site are nothing more than curious due to the movie.

All of the people I know who watched the movie think he was a fool. Not just because of what he did up in Alaska, but because of all of the other weird stuff he did before he even went up there. Because there was a movie, people are going to be curious. Nothing more. The movie certainly didn't make him out to look good.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,916,727 times
So now we have three threads on essentially the same topic? If he were my son I certainly wouldn't want the world debating on what he did or didn't do right.

I've been keeping tabs on the missing barista from Anchorage, and the Facebook page for that is starting to post older missing flyers of young people in Alaska. It's sad and I feel for the parents.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 AM

4 posts, read 11,478 times
Yet, being hateful about someone that seems to inspire many folks is unfortunate.http://www.*****.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 AM

811 posts, read 1,325,798 times
Quote:
Because they are the ones who spend money to buy the books, movies, watch reality shows an not know what the "real wild an mother nature" can dish out to someone.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,753,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I didn't see anything hateful in Starlite's post. And Stiffy is playing under his bridge tonight (again).
If you saw what the doctor did to me on Friday and the mass doses of pain pills he put me on you'd be playing on the bridge and under it too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska