Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM

49 posts, read 83,593 times

Advertisements

gobrien, I don't really want to be where the temperature gets as cold as, say, Anchorage. I love that it rains on POW so much, an abundance of water would be heavenly after almost 2 decades of 10 inches a year. The fishing/hunting really attracts me as well, and the trees/berries/other plant life. It's relatively (compared to the bulk of Alaska) close to the rest of the states, and I have friends in Canada too that would actually be within range to visit. I like small-town communities, and I like my privacy too, and this place seems to offer both.

I suppose there are other places that would qualify for my 'shtf' outlook - out of the way, not really on the radar for government shenanigans, plenty of water, natural resources. But with our friends having already done the preliminary stuff, and having decided to move there, I'm willing to go along with that. I'd much rather move somewhere knowing that we have other, like-minded people with us, people we work well with and who are as willing to pitch in and get stuff done as we are, and who are already like family to us. We can accomplish a lot more as neighbors working together than we would as individual couples. I don't get along well with that many people (go figure, lol), I'm kind of shy even though I am friendly enough, so...there ya go.

Besides, I'm not wanting to move to a place where people are doing exactly what I'm doing. Where's the fun in that? Even Rob & Azure have differing ideas on what they want to do, and that makes things much more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashta View Post
gobrien, I don't really want to be where the temperature gets as cold as, say, Anchorage. I love that it rains on POW so much, an abundance of water would be heavenly after almost 2 decades of 10 inches a year. The fishing/hunting really attracts me as well, and the trees/berries/other plant life. It's relatively (compared to the bulk of Alaska) close to the rest of the states, and I have friends in Canada too that would actually be within range to visit. I like small-town communities, and I like my privacy too, and this place seems to offer both.

I suppose there are other places that would qualify for my 'shtf' outlook - out of the way, not really on the radar for government shenanigans, plenty of water, natural resources. But with our friends having already done the preliminary stuff, and having decided to move there, I'm willing to go along with that. I'd much rather move somewhere knowing that we have other, like-minded people with us, people we work well with and who are as willing to pitch in and get stuff done as we are, and who are already like family to us. We can accomplish a lot more as neighbors working together than we would as individual couples. I don't get along well with that many people (go figure, lol), I'm kind of shy even though I am friendly enough, so...there ya go.

Besides, I'm not wanting to move to a place where people are doing exactly what I'm doing. Where's the fun in that? Even Rob & Azure have differing ideas on what they want to do, and that makes things much more interesting.

Is that the main reason you want to move to POW in case the 'shtf?' I don't understand though why you think you'll be out of the government's radar if the shtf??

Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 PM

49 posts, read 83,593 times
No it's not, that's just one factor out of many. And while I realize that if Bad Things happen, no place is inherently 'safe', I'm betting that where I'm at now would be a lot worse of a place to be than someplace like that. I'm not preaching doom & gloom, because I don't know if anything like that will happen...do I see it as a possibility? Yep, I sure do. But it's up in the air at this point.

What I'm more concerned with is what I actually see happening. We've been watching what's going on in Arizona with dismay, rampant corruption, deplorable laws being passed, dismal outlook for the economy/his job, utter dependency on a system we have no control over. Electric company raises the prices in a cutthroat manner? Mortgage liabilities hold a constant threat over your head of tossing you out on the street if you have a bad month or two? Sell the house (easier said than done, I know). Move to a place where, regardless of the laws, at least you don't have a mortgage and you provide your own power and food. And where, regardless of whether the shtf or not, you're set up in a lifestyle of your choosing, not because you're afraid but because it's what you want, and you've done it in such a way that you can withstand much of what you see as possibly on the horizon.

But...fun needs to be had too I don't want to live a 'pioneer lifestyle', though I don't begrudge anyone who does. I like people, I'm just shy. I like modern-ish stuff too, and my creature comforts, and growing things. I'm thinking that our plan, unpolished as it may be, provides for all of that, if we're careful and think ahead. I don't care if it might be 'easier' anywhere else, as long as it's do-able where I've chosen, and as long as I have people I can laugh and enjoy myself with.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,564 times
If it were international shtf, Alaska is a prime target. Keep in mind that there are two missile defense bases and multiple strategic military bases, not to mention great proximity to a few countries that don't care for Americans very much.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
If it were international shtf, Alaska is a prime target. Keep in mind that there are two missile defense bases and multiple strategic military bases, not to mention great proximity to a few countries that don't care for Americans very much.

Add HARP

Alaska is the worst place to be isolated from the government and the military, but a lot of people don't realize that. Not only that, but most of the Alaska land belongs to the Federal Government, plus missiles launched from Korea, China, Iran, Russia, would reach Alaska sooner than the rest of the US.That's why the Missile Defense Shield is up here.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashta View Post
No it's not, that's just one factor out of many. And while I realize that if Bad Things happen, no place is inherently 'safe', I'm betting that where I'm at now would be a lot worse of a place to be than someplace like that. I'm not preaching doom & gloom, because I don't know if anything like that will happen...do I see it as a possibility? Yep, I sure do. But it's up in the air at this point.

What I'm more concerned with is what I actually see happening. We've been watching what's going on in Arizona with dismay, rampant corruption, deplorable laws being passed, dismal outlook for the economy/his job, utter dependency on a system we have no control over. Electric company raises the prices in a cutthroat manner? Mortgage liabilities hold a constant threat over your head of tossing you out on the street if you have a bad month or two? Sell the house (easier said than done, I know). Move to a place where, regardless of the laws, at least you don't have a mortgage and you provide your own power and food. And where, regardless of whether the shtf or not, you're set up in a lifestyle of your choosing, not because you're afraid but because it's what you want, and you've done it in such a way that you can withstand much of what you see as possibly on the horizon.

But...fun needs to be had too I don't want to live a 'pioneer lifestyle', though I don't begrudge anyone who does. I like people, I'm just shy. I like modern-ish stuff too, and my creature comforts, and growing things. I'm thinking that our plan, unpolished as it may be, provides for all of that, if we're careful and think ahead. I don't care if it might be 'easier' anywhere else, as long as it's do-able where I've chosen, and as long as I have people I can laugh and enjoy myself with.
Our electric companies do the same things in Alaska. They just cut your electricity if you don't pay the bill on time, even in the middle of the winter. Not only that, but unlike the lower-48, including AZ, our electricity is locally produced and more expensive that it's there. The property foreclosure list in the Fairbanks North Star Borough (just one borough) is published as a small newspaper of around 18" x 18" page size (10 size font), and has from 18-24 pages

And, in the places you have talked about moving you still need extremely expensive gasoline to produce electricity. A lot of people are moving back to the lower-48 to do exactly what you want to do in Alaska, because it's extremely expensive in here.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I know! When will Paxson be the new hotspot?
Hush Next thing you know someone's going to google image search and decide that these rolling hills are the perfect place to run cattle.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
The thing I never understand about these kinds of threads is that there are SO MANY places in the lower 48 that a person can live out their escapist fantasies so much more affordably and with so many fewer logistical issues. It's like people have this picture in their head of life in Alaska that it's like a Westward Ho fantasy, when it's just not. It's possible with hard work and know-how and some luck to live a pretty self-sufficient lifestyle here, but IMO doing so requires adapting to the environment and the existing regulations, rather than trying to force everything around to adapt to you. Yeah, you can build your very own themepark fantasy land if you're willing to throw enough money at it (and keep throwing money at it to sustain it) but that puts you on awfully tenuous ground if the supply chains get cut, and it's not sustainable or ecologically friendly, either. For all that you lot are getting shirty with Met and GC, those two have a huge wealth of experience at successfully making a living (one commercially, the other personally) off coastal Alaska's natural bounty. You ought to be setting aside your "research" and your preconceived notions for a minute in order to actually listen.

As for the continued aquaculture conversation, seriously, F&G is no joke up here. You run afoul of relevant laws and regulations and they will mess you up. This isn't a libertarian fantasy land.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM

118 posts, read 261,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurehill1 View Post
Okay how does this sound.... I want move to Alaska be cause it has been my dream since I was a little girl (call it stupid whatever). The more I researched and visited the more I new that was were I meant to be. I'm not saying it will be easy I know it will be hard work and I might fail but that's my right. I have always have animals; horses, goats, dogs, cats, chicken, etc.. I am not willing to give them up, I that means I need to spend $10,000,000 up front to buy the land and make suitable in closers and build a feeding system just for them then that's what I need to do.
Why POW ill sell you an entire island in the Aleutians for 10,000,000.00. Rich volcanic soil no trees, and good drainage. Great southern exposure for your crops and completely isolated. Unfortunately ill be stuck in Africa for the near future so just cut me a check and i'll pm you the gps location.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Hey RedJacket...you might need a song called "who'll stop the tornado's" by days end?

I wonder if that new show doomsday preppers has anything to do with the surge of everyone wanting to move to AK?
No tornado's here in the dairyaire state. The surge in Alaska's popularity can be traced back to 08/29/08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska