Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM

104 posts, read 180,071 times

Advertisements

A specific answer would be they love the land for what it is. Even after being gone from the state for 26 years I could not give a specific answer why I still long to be back in the state of AK. I have lived in many cities in the -48 and still I dream of living in Alaska. To each person it is something different, some will say it is the beauty of the land, some would say it's the attitude of the people, while some may fall in love with the wide open spaces that the state has to offer. It could be the winter/summer activities that the state has to offer. some it may be that they find living away from large populations is possible, some will say that it's the style of living or the Native culture that makes the state the best. For me it's all the above and possibly more than that I can't put my finger on a specific reason the state appeals to me so much.

Last edited by smokeyta; 05-14-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times
Hey, people moved out West before they knew what it was like. It's a hope for a better life, Alaska is known as the Last Frontier after all. People have romantic notions of freedom, living off the land, and escaping the place that may have rejected them.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM

169 posts, read 159,408 times
We moved here because we love winter and because we wanted away from the Lower 48 and the idiots that it's breeding. We love it here especially hubby w/the fishing and now he will go hunting this fall

sadly though those idiots from lower 48 are moving up here and whining about how backwards it is and wanting to change it. we moved here because of the way it is and do not want it changed at all.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons View Post
We moved here because we love winter and because we wanted away from the Lower 48 and the idiots that it's breeding. We love it here especially hubby w/the fishing and now he will go hunting this fall

sadly though those idiots from lower 48 are moving up here and whining about how backwards it is and wanting to change it. we moved here because of the way it is and do not want it changed at all.
This seems to be a fairly common sentiment among recent transplants.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
If you have to ask the question, you'll never understand the answer.
This is the BEST answer here.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Winter is precisely one of my reasons for moving up to Alaska. In some ways its even better than the summer. You have the winter sports, winter sunsets, spruce forest covered with snow and frost, moose and wolves, frozen lakes and a bitter and peaceful silence in the hibernation of animals and being in the off-tourist season. Winter is an adventure and something to be proud of living through, develops a strong person and strong character. Longterm, however, it probably becomes something you live with and learn to deal with. The furthest north I've lived is 49N and I wasn't bothered working when it became dark at 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

The very lakes, streams, mountains that people love in the summer are not as much of an interest to me. I like the landscape when it is covered with snow and frozen, when it takes on that rugged quality that is unmistakable for the far North.

The dinner thing sounds fun. I love cooking and love to eat well. Do you still snowmobile when its 40 below in the winter? What would you do in your freetime being cooped up so long? I like playing cards and board games, watching movies, and enjoying a nice dinner in the evening, but I couldn't stand to do that during the day. Always got to be out doing something during the day and then I come back and enjoy an evening with friends. Being cooped up in your house all day would obviously be no fun.

Thank you cobolt for your feedback as well.
Such winter landscapes look real nice in movies, but at least in the interior of Alaska these look much better when viewed from the interior of a warm vehicle. Yes, it's beautiful, peaceful, and you may be lucky enough to see some wildlife every now and then, but it's deadly cold after the temperature drops past -20 degrees. You will seldom have a chance to see wolves and other animals in the open, unless you are on some high point, aircraft, etc., but it does happen if you spend enough time outdoors. When -20 and colder, I doubt that you want to spend more than 30 minutes outside unless you are wearing some of the warmest winter gear in town

Now, the winters landscape I have experienced around Northern NY, and Northern Washington are a lot more comfortable and easier to enjoy because of their mildness in relation to extreme cold temperatures.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-15-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 49,332 times
theres a million people probably on this cite everyday and none of them have the answer i'm sorry for my rudeness i was just so irritated i was on the computer all day looking for the answer but i just couldn't find it.i really need this answer for me to pass this exam at work.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM

thank you very much for this answer. i really appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM

thank you also for the answer

Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Smile thank you

Thank you so much i really needed this answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska