Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,319,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
If I had to bait and kill something to avoid starving, I would do it. But I am pretty sure Ted Nugent was not in danger of starvation, nor are most people who visit our fine state to hunt.
Many of the bear hunters that come to AK many of the hunts I see start out at $3000 to north of $30,000. I think the state put 10% of so of the tags off to the side for non-residents (don't quote me on that #)

Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,813,796 times
Quote:
If that is the case, many in AK will see the cost of living keep going up, up.
Care to explain in detail to us what your implication here is...

Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I admit I type to fast. People on some of the forums have said that they will look else where to go hunting. "My take is many of them think this law is only in SE AK only, so they are looking for other guides outside SE AK"

Nope the guides don't set the rules or the laws, the AF&G do.

Alot of people from the -48 go to AK to hunt and fish, I don't know the millions of dollars it brings in, but do know many rely on the people from outside AK for income.
I don't know a guide in SE who isn't already booked up for the season. No, I don't think some sort of Nugent-inspired boycott is
going to have the effect that you think. If people lose a few bear-hunting clients -- well, bear-hunting isn't that big a deal in SE, and the guys who guide for it are usually working 2 or 3 other jobs anyway.

I think it's clear that a bear was wounded. There was blood. They've admitted to it.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 PM

811 posts, read 1,319,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
He may eat some of his kill, but it is always for sport, nothing more.
He does also donate meats to local shelters and kitchens.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,257,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I was speaking to the issue of baiting only, and whether its practice is legitimate.
I guess there is a fine line to draw there. But, a true hunter knows where to find it's prey, so bait shouldn't be needed. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I suspected as much. Ted Nugent seems to have some big obsession with killing animals for sport. I just had to check this individual case out. It makes me wonder if he would kill people for sport if he was allowed to. It sounds extreme of me to say that, but I just think of his persona and alot comes to the mind.
It doesn't sound that extreme. This is, after all, the man who has called other people "subhuman," and "coyotes in your living room that should be shot," and who called on his fans to chop off the heads of Democrats in November.

I am sure (or hopeful, at least) that he did not mean those things literally. But...words matter. They reflect what resides in the heart and mind of the speaker, and I don't think it is unreasonable, based on those words, to conclude that this man harbors a great deal of hatred. If he does not, he would do well to reconsider his speech.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,028,641 times
Quote:
But I know many people who do bait. Most of the people I know who bait rely on the food to feed there families not for sport or hunting but for food.
This was my immediate mental reaction when Glitch trashed SD for stating that the Inupiaq hunters he knows use bait. Glitch is correct that bait should not be used, only if he is discussing sport hunting. Those who are hunting as a source for food are not being unethical by utilizing bait. Somehow I get the impression that Glitch was referring to all hunters - and his "holier-than -thou" attitude has once again irritated me.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
He does also donate meats to local shelters and kitchens.
Did he donate the bear meat?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This was my immediate mental reaction when Glitch trashed SD for stating that the Inupiaq hunters he knows use bait. Glitch is correct that bait should not be used only if he is discussing sport hunting. Those who are hunting as a source for food are not being unethical by utilizing bait.
Glitch knows what he's talking about as far as hunting in AK.

As far as bear-bait -- bear isn't often eaten by those who hunt for it, and a hungry person is going to hunt something that's a bit easier to get.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I guess there is a fine line to draw there. But, a true hunter knows where to find it's prey, so bait shouldn't be needed. Just my thoughts.
If I ever do have the opportunity to hunt, I would certainly want to learn those skills. However, I was not speaking as a "true hunter," but offering a different POV: that of one who has little interest in hunting as an activity, but is simply hungry. Doing things "the right way" might be an unrealistic luxury for such a person.

I do not believe that hunting is a necessity for most people in modern society, certainly not for most people on this board, or most hunters I have met. The people I know who hunt eat their kills, of course, but they would not go hungry without them. They hunt for food and because they enjoy it.

Those for whom it is a necessity may have a completely different take on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska